Ironwill Broadhead Issues

as.ks.ak

WKR
Is/has anyone had issues getting ironwills to fly for you?

I’m pulling 73.7 lbs. shooting 125gr solid ironwills on a 340 Easton axis 5mm shaft. 3 vane right helical.

I’m getting such erratic arrow flight with the broadheads, I cannot for the life of me make these things work for me. Paper tuned, bareshaft, walk back, whatever. My bow is shooting field points dead nuts all day out to 50 (my comfort zone). I think I could/should probably go with a stiffer spine and maybe more weight upfront. I’m kind of thinking, let’s build a 600gr arrow, throw another 25gr up front and see if that’ll rectify my flight issues.

I’m not sure if the issue I’m having is from the fixed blade fighting with the vanes to try and steer the arrow? Has anyone else had these fits? Would love some input please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long are your arrows. I shot a 66lb bow 29 inch draw 550 gr arrow and shoot a 260 axis 5mm arrows.

I shoot iron will v125

Elkhntr08

WKR
Try paper tuning you bow with a 125 FP. May be the tune not the head.
I’m shooting the V100 on a 28” FMJ 340 70#. Tunes perfect like this, but goes to crap with a 125.

madkaw284

Lil-Rokslider
What’s your draw length, total weight up front and shaft length?
Shooting 73 lbs with a 340 arrow, your under spined unless you’ve got a short draw and even shorter shaft.

They could fly fine with field points but adding the extra wind resistance of a small broadhead will weaken the spine just enough to cause erratic flight.

You could try stiffening the spine by shortening the shaft and/or adding a 4th vane, arrow wrap, and heavier nocks via nock bushing system or lighted nocks if you are stuck with the arrows but it will be easiest to just move to a 300.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
At 74 lbs you are very likely under spined with the Axis 340. I shoot Axis 260s with my 75lb bow and 125 head. Let me know your bow, draw length, arrow length and total weight upfront and I can recommend a spine or max weight upfront for your current arrow. Being underspined will cause excessive flexing back and forth of the arrow which will cause poor arrow flight in general and be exaggerated with broadheads.

Marble

WKR
Stiffer spine for sure.

Make sure you are using the broad head adaptor rings. They help square up the broadheads.

Zac

WKR
I'm assuming your running Blazers which is fine. Also sounds like you may have purchased a new bow and kept the same arrows. You could try turning down your limbs a little until your broadheads start grouping well. You may have to then shorten your draw length a little as well. Best option is to call Bill at IW and have a chat.

Take 2-3 turns off your limb bolts, then see what happens. Like everyone said your likely way underspined. If that fixes the problem than you know it's a spine issue.

Are the broadheads hitting consistently in any direction from your field points?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Is/has anyone had issues getting ironwills to fly for you?

I’m pulling 73.7 lbs. shooting 125gr solid ironwills on a 340 Easton axis 5mm shaft. 3 vane right helical.

I’m getting such erratic arrow flight with the broadheads, I cannot for the life of me make these things work for me. Paper tuned, bareshaft, walk back, whatever. My bow is shooting field points dead nuts all day out to 50 (my comfort zone). I think I could/should probably go with a stiffer spine and maybe more weight upfront. I’m kind of thinking, let’s build a 600gr arrow, throw another 25gr up front and see if that’ll rectify my flight issues.

I’m not sure if the issue I’m having is from the fixed blade fighting with the vanes to try and steer the arrow? Has anyone else had these fits? Would love some input please!

Hey man I got your PM, By the time I got over here it looks like there’s way more knowledge on this thread to help you than I could ever offer.

But I can say is that it can’t be the broadheads. I just shot two groups with mine this morning and had to quit aiming at the same spot at 55 yards because I kept hitting arrows.

You’ll get this figured out. Keep us posted.

Beendare

WKR
Not the BH.
Its probably a combination of bow tuning and poor arrow assembly as many have stated.

If the arrow doesn't spin perfect [and the Axis won't right off a saw] that can account for 50% larger groups. Any BH has to spin perfect, or you lose hunting accuracy.

I run my Axis on a home made jig with 320 sandpaper, then alternate with the chamfer stone...then back on the jig. If you look through a microscope at an arrow off the saw....then an arrow that has been ground square on a jig like mine...its a huge difference. Frayed ends vs. ground flat.

The other advantage to doing this; you will break less arrows....as the BH's seat tighter against the shaft.

_

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
I’m a 28” draw length and my arrows (valley of nock to end of carbon) are 29”.

I appreciate the feedback boys! I’m in rural Alaska. So I do all my own bow work. Have a press, jigs, the whole shabang, it’s no big deal to buy and try. But I’m a week+ out on getting any arrows etc. So trying to buy diff spines and make up arrows doesn’t just happen over night. It could take me months to try 4 diff make ups if I wait to see if the next thing I buy works or not. Getting feedback on this post is HUGE for me.

I’m thinking I’ll try some 300 rampages with iron will collars. Putting me at 150gr upfront. That should be the ticket hopefully. Thoughts on that??

I knew the ironwills were the best in the game for what I wanted them for. So I bought 9 of them assuming I’d be able to get them to work....kind of discouraging at first shooting the 3 I chose for target arrows and having ZERO consistency. I know it’s not the BHs. I just needed to hear it from guys with more wisdom than me.

Thanks for the help!!

TheViking

WKR
I’m a 28” draw length and my arrows (valley of nock to end of carbon) are 29”.

I appreciate the feedback boys! I’m in rural Alaska. So I do all my own bow work. Have a press, jigs, the whole shabang, it’s no big deal to buy and try. But I’m a week+ out on getting any arrows etc. So trying to buy diff spines and make up arrows doesn’t just happen over night. It could take me months to try 4 diff make ups if I wait to see if the next thing I buy works or not. Getting feedback on this post is HUGE for me.

I’m thinking I’ll try some 300 rampages with iron will collars. Putting me at 150gr upfront. That should be the ticket hopefully. Thoughts on that??

I knew the ironwills were the best in the game for what I wanted them for. So I bought 9 of them assuming I’d be able to get them to work....kind of discouraging at first shooting the 3 I chose for target arrows and having ZERO consistency. I know it’s not the BHs. I just needed to hear it from guys with more wisdom than me.

Thanks for the help!!

This is a great tool.

Click on Open Spine Calculator and type in all your info. This will give you your dynamic spine. It’s always worked out pretty darn well for me and is super close to what Archers Advantage tells me as well.

You can play with different setups, arrow lengths, weight up front, etc to get what you want. I personally like to be a little in the stiff side. Ex: .310 dynamic spine on a 300 spine arrow.

Trial153

WKR
Not for nothing why not hedge your bets, take a couple turns out of the limb bolts and confirm your weak. At that point either leave the bow ay 65-68 and save the money on new arrows ....or then order new shafts if you want to crank it back up.

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
303013dc37556d6eca72a9e89a56e010.jpg

I have a buddy who has 300 rampages. He let me try shooting a few through my bow. He’s got a longer draw so his arrow are about a 1/2” longer than what mine will be. And they still shot like missles!!

Problem solved, now to get some ordered!! Thanks for all the input!

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
300 Rampages with 150 total upfront should work well. I'd cut the arrows a little shorter too if you can to be a little stiffer.

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
300 Rampages with 150 total upfront should work well. I'd cut the arrows a little shorter too if you can to be a little stiffer.

I’m going to cut them at 29” and add wraps to the back. Up front I think I’ll end up doing the 125gr solid head and the inserts/collars to add another 25gr. Then just standard 3 vanes with a right helical and wraps. Should be a good setup!

Then I’ll use those 340s I have with my other bow that’s set at 63.4 lbs. it’s an ancient Hoyt Growler.

Cannot say thank you fellas enough!! I certainly appreciate what our Rokslide community brings to the table.

Great collective group of dudes (for the most part). Ha!