Ironwill durability

Zac

WKR
I remember a recent thread where someone was criticizing an IW for breaking a tip on an elk. This video has a perfect explanation for such an experience.

I might be in a minority but I don't care to watch anything from ranch fairy. I feel like if I click on that, he gets paid.

It seems like a lifetime ago I took a metallurgy class. The take aways I had from it were the sharper the edge, the more brittle the blade. Never use a good knife as a screw driver, sounds pretty simple right? But grow up on a farm, before the days of a Leatherman, and it was pretty frequent that you needed a flat head screw driver or a small pry and the only thing you had was a knife. Many knife makers knew this and so they produced blades that could handle this. Didn't hold an edge worth a damn, but you didn't break them. I assume this is the same reason the replaceable blade knifes break blades so easily. It doesn't help how thin they are, but a good edge is going to be brittle, usually. These treatments now, use to only be heat or oil treating, have really advanced materials. I can't speak to it a lot, I'm pretty removed from it.

Iron will has a lot going for it, I don't know if it's the best broadhead or not. I haven't shot them all. I have found them to be very durable, they hold an edge for a long time, and they fly really well. I have one head that was a practice head, I sharpened it and shot a Whitetail with it, now I have been launching it at rabbits. The tip has busted. Very slightly, instead of having a fine point now it has something similar to a chisel tip replaceable blade broadhead. I mean it's getting buried into dirt with gravel in it, and it went through a rabbit and bounced off of a concrete wall at one point. I can't complain. I haven't shot another head that would be in anywhere near the same condition by now. If I didn't have a conscious I could send it back and get it replaced. Even at the price I feel like it has performed just fine, I could resharpen it and hunt it without concern.

The price is steep, I don't use them in my compound anymore. I don't feel like I need to and prefer a larger 3 blade for it. I use them in my trad bows and feel like it's ideal for what I need with those.

Long winded and maybe people won't understand my point, broadheads are expected to be sharper than a razor and durable enough to be shot into a cinder block. This is a pretty difficult challenge. I think if you weigh the options out there you will find the failure rate is pretty low with an Iron Will compared to anything else. Lots of options tho, experiment and find what works for you.

I'd take those results from a broadhead all day, every day. Good grief, that was some carnage! Makes me want to buy a pack or two.

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
Good thing is you have that warranty to fall back on if you have a similar result.

TheViking

WKR
The price is steep, I don't use them in my compound anymore. I don't feel like I need to and prefer a larger 3 blade for it. I use them in my trad bows and feel like it's ideal for what I need with those.

Use the Wide Blade for more cut. I'm in the same boat. I don't need a tiny little head, I have more juice behind my bow than 90% of people. I need more cut - enter the Iron Will wide.

TheViking

WKR
Shot some groups today - finally - with the Iron Wills. Field point, s100 and wide 100 within a 2-3” group at 60. These wides are very impressive!!

Reactions: Zac

Stalker69

WKR
Use the Wide Blade for more cut. I'm in the same boat. I don't need a tiny little head, I have more juice behind my bow than 90% of people. I need more cut - enter the Iron Will wide.

Or the German kenitics XXL, if you want a great truly WIDE cutting head, put that juice to use. 2” groups at 60, you should be taking all of Levi’s ( and every other pros) money ! What the hell you waiting for !

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zac

WKR
I've always fantasized about running the XXL. Probably have to get an entirely new setup in order to run that weight up front and not have a turd of an arrow.

Stalker69

WKR
You would be amazed, 60 lb 480gr. taw and they generally zip through as easy as much narrower heads. They have them in 175 gr. So if your already shooting 125 gr. it will be no turd. And If your afraid of 175 gr. they make an XL that’s 1 1/2” and weighs 125 gr. and is about the same price as wills, with shipping from Germany. ( depends on exchange rate, but usually around 109.00.

brsnow

WKR
The only BHi have not been able to tune was GK XL 125. Love their standard though. Used the 1.5 phathead instead.

bat-cave

WKR
I took a chip out of the tip of an IW BR when I hit a Whitetail in the spine (jumped the string). I reached out to IW and they were willing to re-sharpen at no charge, but I opted to do it myself. I haven't it through another animal as of yet, but I have no doubt it will perform well once again.

Ucsdryder

WKR
The only BHi have not been able to tune was GK XL 125. Love their standard though. Used the 1.5 phathead instead.

I’ve never heard someone say they couldn’t tune a XL german kinetic. I was shooting them out to 100 yards last summer. They flew amazing.

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
Yeah I I think it's kind of ridiculous, it would just be cool to be able to sling the equivalent of a fixed blade Rage. I think the IW Wide is a better more practical head. Always thought the XXL was the coolest looking head.

TheViking

WKR
Yeah I I think it's kind of ridiculous, it would just be cool to be able to sling the equivalent of a fixed blade Rage. I think the IW Wide is a better more practical head. Always thought the XXL was the coolest looking head.

Absolutely.

I have shot a half dozen or so deer with Rage Trypans. They leave ridiculous holes. The problem is, they are one and done. Clean shot through the ribs, double lung and the blade are dinged up pretty bad. You bury one one in the dirt and the tip is bent and blades shot. You can find decent deals on the - 3 for $32 or so, but like I said, one and done. Iron Wills are pricey, but it's an investment. If you shoot a handful of animals every year, they'll pay themselves on quickly. Touch them up and go. I have yet to put a wide through an animal yet, but I guessing the holes will be pretty ridiculous as well!

Reactions: Zac

Stalker69

WKR
I’ve never heard someone say they couldn’t tune a XL german kinetic. I was shooting them out to 100 yards last summer. They flew amazing.

Yea, I have shot them out to 80 on many different bows and have had no issues either. Even the XXL fly great at 80, and most likely beyond. But that’s as far as I have to practice and that’s as far as I have sights set to. And it’s way farther then I would shoot at an animal, or need to use a broadhead on the end of my arrow. There are a lot of guys that can’t tune their bows to shoot any fixed heads, I haven’t found any of the well made wider heads difficult to tune at all.

Last edited:

brsnow

WKR
Yes now we have heard that you can’t, but that does not mean your bow can’t be tuned to shoot them, all it really means is just that you may not be able to do it.

the bow shot numerous other fixed heads and also 1.5 heads with no issues. You shouldn’t have to totally alter a bow to a broadhead. They were also the only head I could audibly hear. I like GK standard though.

Absolutely.

I have shot a half dozen or so deer with Rage Trypans. They leave ridiculous holes. The problem is, they are one and done. Clean shot through the ribs, double lung and the blade are dinged up pretty bad. You bury one one in the dirt and the tip is bent and blades shot. You can find decent deals on the - 3 for $32 or so, but like I said, one and done. Iron Wills are pricey, but it's an investment. If you shoot a handful of animals every year, they'll pay themselves on quickly. Touch them up and go. I have yet to put a wide through an animal yet, but I guessing the holes will be pretty ridiculous as well!

Yea I agree. The Iron Will pay for them selves down the road Can use them forever as long as you don’t loose the head