Ironwill S100's

Zac

WKR
You could probably go very small as long as your bow is tuned. However I would recommend that you use more vane than you need to give you the most forgiving set-up. A friend of mine is a much better archer than I. Shoots competitive 3D etc. He uses 3 AAE Max 23s out of a Bitz with a slight helical and does very well with them. I would never use less than 3 Blazer type vanes on any hunting shaft. However there are pros like Dudley and Gillingham that are running those configs in a 4 fletch with a mechanical out front. If I were you I'd ask Bill. He's probably gonna say 3 Blazers, or 3 Max Stealths.

Wapack

FNG
I have had great results with vanetec 3" super spines in a 4 fletch. Vented version. Although that set up was pretty slow. 270ish. Im with Zac and ZDR, lil mo vane usually mo better with fixed heads. Especially when your pushing them fast.

Edit: Totally depends on your specific set up

Last edited:

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My current setup is three AAE Max Hunter vanes at 2.5 degrees helical. I've tested and hunted a lot with Blazer, Max Hunter, and Fusion II vanes at 2.5 to 3 degrees offset or helical and had great results with our broadheads.

Zac

WKR
My current setup is three AAE Max Hunter vanes at 2.5 degrees helical. I've tested and hunted a lot with Blazer, Max Hunter, and Fusion II vanes at 2.5 to 3 degrees offset or helical and had great results with our broadheads.
Can you expand on why you think a minimum of a 2 inch high vane is needed for stabilization right out of the bow? Did you find this in testing?

Hoot

WKR
I use 6 pm1.6 vanes and get good flight, last year I ran out of vanes and used 4 pro max and did well.

this year I am unsure of what I will use, either 4 pro max or 3 max stealth, I’m running a different shaft (5mm axis instead of fmj 4mm) so I’ll play around with a lot of vane combos

Brendan

WKR
Hunting is all about forgiveness under hunting conditions, not what'll fly under ideal conditions on the target range.

I've had good luck with 3x Max Stealth with about 1.5 degree offset and a Bitz Helical clamp, and I've also shot 4 x Vanetec Swift but they're not as durable. I shoot my S100's out to ~100 yards and other than a little vertical drop, they group with my field points to the best of my shooting ability, and I'm not shooting an animal at those ranges anyways.

lintond

WKR
Current setup that I’ll probably keep this year is 4 pro max vanes with a straight offset with my S100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Can you expand on why you think a minimum of a 2 inch high vane is needed for stabilization right out of the bow? Did you find this in testing?
Zac, the vanes I use are all about 0.6" high and around 2" long. Shorter, longer vanes like the Max Stealth can work well also, but I've found three 0.6" high vanes to be the most efficient in stabilizing broadheads with minimum weight and drag. Four max stealth work well and is a very popular hunting setup, but I hit about 2 feet lower at 100 yards with these, so they have more drag and reduce FOC. They do work well, and the difference is not a big deal, but more of a personal preference.

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
3 AAE Max's here also. Shot S125s last yr. Flew great, goin to the Snyder core 170 wide this yr. I fletch 3° helical on my LCA jig.

Brendan

WKR
@Bill V - Have you tested 3 x Max Stealth vs. the 3 x Max Hunter at the same helical? I used to shoot the Max Hunter a lot, but have realized that's a comparison I haven't done.

Assuming you're using a LCA Jig?

Spence14

WKR
I shoot the s100's with (4) blazers or more recently (4) AAE Hybrid HP's (basically the same thing.) Great forgiving setup for me.