Ironwill VS Kudu VS OzCut

Beendare

WKR
Between these 3 heads....I bet that on game all will perform right about the same.

Sure the steel will be better on the Iron Wills....but that BH design is such that the blade bevel doesn't see a lot of pressure on it due to its mechanical advantage. Small differences in steel rating are less of an issue as it would be with a short less tapered heads that puts a lot of blade in contact with hide. This 2 blade design slips in effortlessly.

_______

Zac

WKR
I think Iron Will crushes German Kinetics in every category. Especially due to IW offering a wide cut now.

Vandal 44

WKR
they can rust if left alone in wet or humid environments, but rust far less than other non stainless heads. there is a bike chain lubricant called purple magic, dries without sheen or smell, and will make them pretty low maintenance.

last year I had vpa and iron will in my quiver, no matter what I did to the vpa, I had to oil and touch up every couple days, iron will stayed perfect. they do require some care, but not much.

I really want to try Valkyrie blood eagles this year as well, but I am thinking they will rust more like a vpa… if that's the case, I will just stick to iron will most likely..... hard to not shoot the best head I can in my region, we aren't allowed enough tags for broadhead price to be a realistic factor. I am curious on the Valkyries though, they are a wicked design if they hold up in the quiver, certainly a great design for penetration.... but iron will is too

I am shooting the Iron Will 125 along with the Valkyrie Blood-Eagle 175. I have not taken anything with Valkyrie yet, with the Iron Will I have taken a Small bear, cow elk and a buck. I use a little of the Valkyrie Jag Wax to prevent rest on both the Blood-Eagle and the Iron Will.

Both are great products with awesome customer service, a person can go wrong with either broad head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Between these 3 heads....I bet that on game all will perform right about the same.

Sure the steel will be better on the Iron Wills....but that BH design is such that the blade bevel doesn't see a lot of pressure on it due to its mechanical advantage. Small differences in steel rating are less of an issue as it would be with a short less tapered heads that puts a lot of blade in contact with hide. This 2 blade design slips in effortlessly.

_______
there has been a ton of testing from lots of people showing iron will being very good in the "pressure tests" how much force it takes to penetrate, and the numbers compared to other heads is pretty significant.

NOW! how does that apply to a real world scenario? maybe not at all, maybe a lot? I do think iron will will outperform most similar heads, on the standards, the blade angle isn't steep, but the tanto tip keeps it compact.

there was probably more consideration put into that head than any other on the market, testing different designs before settling there.

a longer head made of the same materials will penetrate better, but you also compromise strength with a longer head.

what exactly does this all mean on critters? likely none of us have a sample size large enough with a wide enough range of heads to really know, but we certainly see patterns, and our own concepts on this stuff, but a lot of this is anecdotal, not many truly kill enough critters to draw real conclusions.... and most who do don't have a lot of variation of equipment.

the iron will makes sense to me, it's a very well thought out combination of every important aspect without making any big compromise... very well rounded head without any real deficiency, Bill put a ton of thought into them, and tested everything along the way

I am shooting the Iron Will 125 along with the Valkyrie Blood-Eagle 175. I have not taken anything with Valkyrie yet, with the Iron Will I have taken a Small bear, cow elk and a buck. I use a little of the Valkyrie Jag Wax to prevent rest on both the Blood-Eagle and the Iron Will.

Both are great products with awesome customer service, a person can go wrong with either broad head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks, it certainly seems like they are a couple heads at the top of the heap for sure. both designed with a ton of thought

Ucsdryder

WKR
I think Iron Will crushes German Kinetics in every category. Especially due to IW offering a wide cut now.

I’ve had and shot both. I sold the iron will and kept the GK. Of course the tiny profile of the IW is going to put perform the XL version of the gk. Apples to oranges. I’d like to see him do a test of the wide cut vs the xl.

Did you actually watch the video? You said the crushed every part? What part did they “crush”?

Flight - identical
Penetration - IW barely penetrated further and didn’t get to their bleeder blades so it was basically a smaller head going farther into the board, shocker right?
Cinderblock - GK bent, but both heads blades looked identical... ie messed up
Blade retention - IW still shaved after 20 shots through a target, GK didnt.

Let me guess, you own IW and have never shot GK?

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
what exactly does this all mean on critters?....

There is no doubt the Iron Wills are top of the heap- no argument there.

FWIW, I've been shooting COC heads for a long time....and the one thing I notice...is how fast and far the arrow goes after you shoot something with this design. Plus they bury into dirt, grass, fields, etc.

Something someone new to these heads might want to consider.

I love this design due to almost no animal recognition they have been hit....the downside is, I lose about 1/3rd of my arrows. I shot an elk in CO one year- downhill shot- and I saw the arrow flying out down the hill and it didn't even look to have slowed down. The elk died right there- he took maybe 3 steps as he was standing there looking around- no clue what had happened. We searched and searched for the arrow out past 100 yds downhill...never found it. I've shot hogs recently where the head burrowed into soft dirt and all grass....gone.

The arrows/BH's I do recover are still very sharp.....even with less that knife grade steel of something like an IW or GK.
_______

Zac

WKR
I have shot IW in the past. Most recently I have used Valkyrie components. I will probably go back to IW now that I am shooting Axis. I think Mr. Lusk would be happy to do a comparison of the IW wide vs the GK. I don't know how anyone would expect the results differ with an aluminum vs steel ferrule. Or tool steel vs whatever softer steel is used in the GK. I know GK is a good head, it's just inferior to the IW in every way and the price is basically the same.

ztrusky

FNG
I shoot the Kudu 150g and my wife shoots the 125's. They fly really well and are stupid tough for the price. Other heads at equal price points bend when they hit dirt, which inevitably happens for me when practicing tough shots. Our friend shooting a 45 lb avail put one through a buck at 50 yards and got a complete pass through. I put one through a coyote shoulder and it punched through the other side but did not pass through at 65. I think terminal performance is a lot to do with tuning, but as for a sturdy broadhead that flys well I can't beat the kudu. IW broadheads I have heard are sweet but thats a lot of money for me at the moment.

Marble

WKR
I shoot the kudu heads, and they have been incredible for me. I’ve never shot the other two heads mentioned but I can’t see either of them performing any better than the Kudu heads. I’ve blown through everything and broken bone no problem on the way through.
This is my experience too. I've killed two animals with them, so not a big ton of experience. Both heads were still sharp and serviceable after recovery. They are easy to sharpen IME.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have shot IW in the past. Most recently I have used Valkyrie components. I will probably go back to IW now that I am shooting Axis. I think Mr. Lusk would be happy to do a comparison of the IW wide vs the GK. I don't know how anyone would expect the results differ with an aluminum vs steel ferrule. Or tool steel vs whatever softer steel is used in the GK. I know GK is a good head, it's just inferior to the IW in every way and the price is basically the same.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. German Kinetics are outstanding heads, IWs are great heads as well, but to say they blow them out of the water in every way is just your opinion. You are so off base on bashing GKs it's funny. A better comparison would be a standard cut GK against an IW, and then do the wides... then do the XXL GKs. With not having to pay VAT tax on the GKs for being outside the EU they are 20% cheaper than the price you see listed. IWs are the trendy pick now, but they don't kill anything any deader than any other head put in the right spot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
Yeah I'm sure your right. I'm sure they are quality heads. I don't know how they are related to Grizzly Stick, but they make excellent offerings in their monolithic versions. The Alaskan is an awesome head. Also the Redline is offered at a great price point. The Silver Flame pricing is just off to me if better components and edge retention can be found with a US company.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yeah I'm sure your right. I'm sure they are quality heads. I don't know how they are related to Grizzly Stick, but they make excellent offerings in their monolithic versions. The Alaskan is an awesome head. Also the Redline is offered at a great price point. The Silver Flame pricing is just off to me if better components and edge retention can be found with a US company.

Zac, this is the problem with the internet. Everyone is an expert even when they don’t know what they’re talking about. Marcus from German kinetic sold out to ABS quite a few years ago. ABS produced a lower quality silver flame that quickly became known as inferior. Marcus started making the original German kinetic again a couple years ago. Don’t get the 2 confused.

Iron will’s ferule is superior and their blades will hold an edge longer, but from what I’ve seen and heard they’re also a little more brittle. I know of multiple people who have broken the tip off the iron will on bones, including a rib from a low poundage bow.

All that being said, you can’t compare 2 heads that are designed to perform differently and say one is inferior in every way. A wide cut blade shouldn’t penetrate as well or fly as well. Ask Bill from iron will, he’ll tell you that the wide cuts are made to shoot out to around 50 yards so a test between a wide cut and a smaller penetrating head doesn’t prove anything.

Iron will makes a ridiculously good head. They aren’t bulletproof, but they’re about as close as you can get. I’m partial to my GK XL because they’ve performed amazingly on elk and fly like darts out to 100 yards. For my needs there’s no reason to shoot anything else.

notradame

Lil-Rokslider
Either one will work just fine. Personally of those two heads I don’t give one any advantage over the other. I would shoot the iron wills, as I don’t find any benefit to single bevel and especially the kudo and Strickland. The iron wills are easier to resharpen and I personally feel they will give you slightly better penetration then the kudus ( would be even better without the bleeder) And yes I have shot these heads, a good bit. If you put either one of these in the correct spot the out come will be exactly the same. So if one shoots better for you, or your confidence is higher with, that is the one I would shoot.

Zac

WKR
Only failure I have ever heard of on IW is in a Deep 6. If that is possible those shooters never turned their heads in for warranty. Your original statement was that for the price this guy should consider Silver Flame. Why? I'm not going to go over what I stated above. The GK is a cheaper head for the same price just based on materials alone. If you were comparing the Redline series and the Kudu, you'd have a valid point. Snyder chipped blades on the XXL shooting does in Alabama. Broderick also said the GK was inferior to the IW before coming out with his own head. I'll talk to John and see if he can run a head to head on the wide and the GK.

Zac

WKR
I think Bill would be very aware if his tips were breaking off. There's plenty of vids of IW's handling cinder blocks with no problem. This thread has turned into IW vs GK. However there is a handful of 3 pack options that aren't composed of aluminum ferrules and 420 stainless blades. Ahnillator, Valkyrie, and Day 6 are all far more durable heads. Now let's hear about how so and so's friend saw a Jagger break in half.

I prefer Iron Wills. Very sharp. Hold an edge and very accurate. I’ve killed quite a few different big game animals with them

Stalker69

WKR
You can’t truly compare the GK from grizzly sticks to Marcus s GK. And I have used all three iron wills and both brands of GK and all have done exactly what they are intended to do. Which is not shooting cinder block by the way. And I have trashed all three brands also, none of them are indestructible by any means. The wills seem to shatter rather then bend, when failure does occur. But hunting wise I Have had no issues with any of them other then wills rust ( but not a structural thing, so it’s not a big deal) . And I didn’t care for the bleeder blades. I find I prefer a bigger ( wider) hole helps tremendously in recovery rate, shortens length of time animal expires. And GK makes the widest (1 7/8” ) super sharp, great edge retention, spin tests perfectly, fixed blade broad head out right now. So it’s a matter of personal preference and advertising, and of course putting the arrow through the animal. If they are standing behind a cinder block wall when you shoot, none of them are getting the shaft anyways, no matter what head your using.

Stalker69

WKR
I think Bill would be very aware if his tips were breaking off. There's plenty of vids of IW's handling cinder blocks with no problem. This thread has turned into IW vs GK. However there is a handful of 3 pack options that aren't composed of aluminum ferrules and 420 stainless blades. Ahnillator, Valkyrie, and Day 6 are all far more durable heads. Now let's hear about how so and so's friend saw a Jagger break in half.

Dude do you seriously think an animal any animal is like a cinder block ? I give two shits how a head preforms on concrete . The ONLY thing I care about is what it does while passing through an animal. And all these heads do there job, and most do it well. So put the advantage each one offers in your favor. I highly prefer two of the biggest holes I can put through an animal, great edge retention, and a head that flies perfectly. If I am after thick skinned animals, a slightly narrow head may be my choice. But the vast majority of the animals we hunt here, I want two of the biggest holes I can get. That right there decides my broad head choice. If I am after cinder blocks I will always choose a bodkin style head, over a conventional style broad head, and a totally different shaft then I use for hunting also. Pick a head for its intended purpose, and what you want out of it. And not every body sends there broad heads back when they get damaged, mine go in the trash.

Last edited: