Is 4.5 pounds for total system good?

Gapmaster

WKR
I’ve got my sleep system down to 4lb 5oz. I feel this is as far as I care to go as far as light weight is concerned.

LeConte 20 Quilt:21.5oz
Tarptent Moment: 34.3oz
Thermarest NeoXlite: 14oz

I’m happy with this setup for September elk. It’s been comfortable and warm, but fairly basic. Anyone have any setups of similar weights without going to just a tarp setup?

Beendare

WKR
Have you tested it? It might be great....or you might hate it.....a hunt is not the time to find it it doesnt work for you.

You will always get comments reaffirming a particular piece of equipment that others have on these forums. (“ My Vortex Vipers I just bought are top notch” -NOT!)

The guys that had a bad experience are less likely to admit it was a bad decision and it sucked.

Everyone has a different level of required comfort....and some mistakenly shoot for the lightest possible setup...and regret it later...I did.

For example, I will take the extra weight of my Exped.....every day of the week over My UL pad.

I will pack a small ground sheet sometimes for the extra utility in wet weather....heavier but functional.

I will sometimes pack my 2 1/2# stove...sometimes not.

Different strokes.

——

A goal of 5lbs or less is great but now days I’m hitting around 6.5 for more comfort in pad/bag and lightening other things in my setup to compensate. Getting better/deeper sleep and my pack weighs the same. Some have no trouble with thin pads and quilts, doesn’t work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Gapmaster

Gapmaster

WKR
Have you tested it? It might be great....or you might hate it.....a hunt is not the time to find it it doesnt work for you.

You will always get comments reaffirming a particular piece of equipment that others have on these forums. (“ My Vortex Vipers I just bought are top notch” -NOT!)

The guys that had a bad experience are less likely to admit it was a bad decision and it sucked.

Everyone has a different level of required comfort....and some mistakenly shoot for the lightest possible setup...and regret it later...I did.

For example, I will take the extra weight of my Exped.....every day of the week over My UL pad.

I will pack a small ground sheet sometimes for the extra utility in wet weather....heavier but functional.

Different strokes.

——
This was my setup from last year, I was a little hesitant about the Tarptent’s room at first but after 10 days I had fell in love with it. I did switch back to a quilt from a sleeping bag. Screw the weight of a bag.
I have thought of the exped pad for a little more room. How do you like it??

Beendare

WKR
I have the synmatt. There might be better options now like the downmatt...Im a big dude...and mine is the lg/long so more weight...but its the best Ive used. Super comfortable, I like the flatter surface and the durablity. warranty is tops....I had one leak at the 4 yr 11 mo mark and they just sent me a new one.

Try them side by side at REI or one of the outdoor stores for best comparison...you might prefer what you have.

mlgc20

WKR
I’ve got my sleep system down to 4lb 5oz. I feel this is as far as I care to go as far as light weight is concerned.

LeConte 20 Quilt:21.5oz
Tarptent Moment: 34.3oz
Thermarest NeoXlite: 14oz

I’m happy with this setup for September elk. It’s been comfortable and warm, but fairly basic. Anyone have any setups of similar weights without going to just a tarp setup?
My setup is similar in weight:

Ketabatic Gear Quilt (wide-large): 22.2oz
Zpacks Triplex: 25oz
Big Agnes SLX (long wide): 22oz

I could certainly save some weight in the sleeping pad piece. I just love the comfort of the SLX. I do have a Thermarest NeoAir Xlite that saves me 6oz and some bulk. I will throw that in when I am really counting every gram. While it's a great pad, I don't find it as comfortable as the SLX.

Mudd Foot

WKR

Different strokes.

——

Great advice.

When I add all items including, pillows, pump/compression sack, ground sheet, etc, my sleep system totals 7 lbs 12 oz.

My observation of weights posted by sources such as thru-hikers is that they can be a good starting reference, but they are just walking. Not trying to out-smart game, or the hopeful possibility of hauling out meat. The latter puts an exponentially greater emphasis on comfort-inducing recovery in preparation for when the work really begins.

Just my $.02,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Gapmaster

Gapmaster

WKR
I’m comfortable with my setup. I had made some cuts prior to last season and could tell a big difference on the long days. I don’t carry anything I don’t need and no duplicate items. Food+ 3L water for 5 days is bumping 40lbs. That gets lighter everyday so I don’t have many complaints. Of course if I don’t have to lug camp I don’t. Always nice to get other opinions.

4.5 lbs. is awesome. Switch to Zpacks duplex and you're at less than 3.5 pounds and a ton more room, but a little larger footprint. Or you can use the 1+ pounds saved for a more comfortable pad and a pillow, or something.

This was my setup from last year, I was a little hesitant about the Tarptent’s room at first but after 10 days I had fell in love with it. I did switch back to a quilt from a sleeping bag. Screw the weight of a bag.
I have thought of the exped pad for a little more room. How do you like it??
Why the quilt over the bag besides weight?

Also what temperatures do you see this time of year, I’m looking from up in Alaska and I’m running a down bag, I considered a quilt but decided I wanted a down bag.

OP
Gapmaster

Gapmaster

WKR
Why the quilt over the bag besides weight?

Also what temperatures do you see this time of year, I’m looking from up in Alaska and I’m running a down bag, I considered a quilt but decided I wanted a down bag.
I hate mummy bags with a passion. I was runny a BA system bag that was great but weighted 4.04lbs. I sleep warm and I’m a flopper. The 20 degree quilt fit my needs. I’m 6’1” 225 and the long/wide works well.
Generally I’m looking at Sept mountain temps of mid to low 20s at the most. More often in 30s. The quilt isn’t for everyone though. It had a learning curve.

Beendare

WKR
I stopped checking exact weights years ago..
it is what it is.

Tarptent cloudburst (old version) with floor and bug screen, 2#4 oz
Exped synmatt large- I think its 2 1/2#
Montbell stretch 20 deg long bag 2#

I use a stuff sack with my down jacket for a pillow...sometimes an inflatable thing I picked up at REI-3 oz.

Just under 7#...not bad for a big guy.

Im going to build a elongated pyramid shelter that should be right at the same weight as my Tarptent....but floorless and a little more room.

——

Drenalin

WKR
I’d say it’s a great weight, as long as you’re comfortable. I’m right at 4.5 pounds with a SO Silex, Borah Bivy (or Tyvek, depending), Klymit pad, and 20* EE Enigma. Some of its great, some just ok. I’m planning to replace the pad with something wider, and I’d like to replace the quilt - which has Apex insulation - with a 30* down quilt. Should get it to under 4 pounds and still be pretty dang comfortable, and with a little less bulk.

I hate mummy bags with a passion. I was runny a BA system bag that was great but weighted 4.04lbs. I sleep warm and I’m a flopper. The 20 degree quilt fit my needs. I’m 6’1” 225 and the long/wide works well.
Generally I’m looking at Sept mountain temps of mid to low 20s at the most. More often in 30s. The quilt isn’t for everyone though. It had a learning curve.
yeah my sleeping bag is 3.9 pounds alone. I was looking at the Down Quilts before, thinking they might save space/weight but I was concerned about them I was planning on doing some winter camping/hunting. I know on my October sheep hunt we had unusually high temps and we were dipping into the freezing range every night. The weather can be so variable. I got a Klymit bag - it is heavy but has ALOT more give to it and contracts back down. I'm still interested in the quilt idea though.
Great Info.

Tent is about 3lbs, sleeping bag about 2/3lbs, stove at under 2lbs, pad at under 1.2lbs..I'm fine with my sleeping setup being under 10 lbs. Hell, starting out on a budget my sleep system was weighing about 16lbs and taking up so much room.

lonedave

WKR
That's darn good. I thought I was getting down there, but I'm not even close.
REI Kilo plus 0 degree in stuff sack - 42.6 oz
Big Agnes Fly Creel HV UL2 Platinum in stuff sack - 34.6 oz
Footprint in stuff sack - 5.7 oz
Thermarest NeoAir Xlite regular in stuff sack - 12.7 oz
Total = 95.6 oz = 5.98#

I could dump the stuff sacks and footprint, but I'd still be over 5# by a good bit.

OP
Gapmaster

Gapmaster

WKR
That's darn good. I thought I was getting down there, but I'm not even close.
REI Kilo plus 0 degree in stuff sack - 42.6 oz
Big Agnes Fly Creel HV UL2 Platinum in stuff sack - 34.6 oz
Footprint in stuff sack - 5.7 oz
Thermarest NeoAir Xlite regular in stuff sack - 12.7 oz
Total = 95.6 oz = 5.98#

I could dump the stuff sacks and footprint, but I'd still be over 5# by a good bit.
The Quilt and the Tarptent were my biggest gains. Prior to the Tarptent I was running REI quarterdome that weighed quite a bit. Was a good tent but heavy. I also run a piece of tyvex for a footprint. Saves some weight, but looks like yours is pretty light. I went from somewhere in the ballpark of 11 pounds to sub 5 in one year. The difference was amazing.

Nice setup you got! I’ve always liked the Fly Creek