Is 5 days enough for Wyoming?

Mw01313

FNG
Hey folks. Hope everyone had a great New Year. I have a question on timing for a Wyoming rifle deer hunt and wanted to get some opinions on if my available time will be even close to enough.
I was gone on my 2021 Colorado deer hunt for 12 days in November. With a 1.5 yr old daughter this was a lot for my wife. My oldest was 3 before I took a long trip (18 days in 2015) and this years trip was rough on my wife with the young one.
So ,in the interest of being responsible and trying to keep the peace, I am limiting myself this fall to 7 days total trip time. 2 days flight time and 5 to hunt.
In your opinion would this be worth doing with a 4 point deer tag in Wyoming? I have 5 antelope points and will burn them if deer isn't feasible. Please let me know what you think!

Michael

elkguide

WKR
A bad day hunting is better than any day working.

Now to your question. IF you know the area well and are OK with probably not being very picky/choosy with what you shoot.... probably OK. I understand the family issues and having lived through them, I found that while hunting every year is the ultimate, when the family is younger, it might only be every two years that you get to go away hunting and have to focus on hunting closer to home on the off years. They are only little once so enjoy them while they are young and if you're lucky you'll end up with your best hunting companion being one of your own.

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

FNG
Why don’t you invest in added help for your wife even if just a few days to give her a break? Get a sitter you trust and send her to a spa and then bump your trip back to 12 days.
That was an idea I had. 2023 will be a long trip if everything goes to plan, so I thought I would hold that for then. Extra help will be a necessity for that trip for sure.
I also gave up a chance to go to BC as an extra on a hunt in 22. Thought if I took a short trip that combined may buy me some points around the house.

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

FNG

Now to your question. IF you know the area well and are OK with probably not being very picky/choosy with what you shoot.... probably OK. I understand the family issues and having lived through them, I found that while hunting every year is the ultimate, when the family is younger, it might only be every two years that you get to go away hunting and have to focus on hunting closer to home on the off years. They are only little once so enjoy them while they are young and if you're lucky you'll end up with your best hunting companion being one of your own.
That's definitely a concern. I have deer hunted MT and Colorado but never Wyoming. I would be going in completely blind. If I had the chance to hunt the same unit I hunted in Colorado I would roll the dice. I have already been in it twice and know where to find a few deer.
I am definitely not one that has to punch a tag for a hunt to be worth the trip. Just wouldn't want to go into a hunt without enough time to at least figure it out.
Having younger kids does make it tough to get away. Fortunately my job allows me to do a lot more with them than most guys are able to.

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

FNG
Thanks Laramie. I was asking more in general but you bring up one of my concerns. If I fly out it would be to stay in a motel or Air bnb etc. So all of my hunting would be day hunts without setting a camp. I guess that's a large part of my question. Is a WY deer hunt feasible under those restrictions?

S.Clancy

WKR
I think 5 days is prob good, depends how hard you push it. Not many people push hard for more than 4 or 5 days anyway, so give it hell

Laramie

WKR
Thanks Laramie. I was asking more in general but you bring up one of my concerns. If I fly out it would be to stay in a motel or Air bnb etc. So all of my hunting would be day hunts without setting a camp. I guess that's a large part of my question. Is a WY deer hunt feasible under those restrictions?
Again, it just really depends on the area and how close your lodging is, how long it takes to get to actual hunting. Are your first 2-3 days going to be spent trying to locate where you should be or do you already know where to find the big bucks in that given area. If your commute (drive and hike) is under 2 hours, and you already know where to be in that given area, 5 days is plenty.

Russp17

WKR
I think I would burn my antelope points. 5 days is plenty and try for a 9-10 day mule deer hunt in a year or two when the family is a little bigger.

Laramie

WKR
I think I would burn my antelope points. 5 days is plenty and try for a 9-10 day mule deer hunt in a year or two when the family is a little bigger.
That's not a bad option either. Hunt antelope for a day or two and then once filled, go scout the deer area.

rwell98

FNG
I'd probably give it a shot! We made a couple 3-4 day trips out to ND for archery mule deer this year (first time out there) and would have had opportunities if we had rifles! Of course that is different terrain and time of year, so it may be different. But, worst case scenario, you spend some time out there and hopefully find some areas to hunt more/harder in the future.

Laramie

WKR
I'd probably give it a shot! We made a couple 3-4 day trips out to ND for archery mule deer this year (first time out there) and would have had opportunities if we had rifles! Of course that is different terrain and time of year, so it may be different. But, worst case scenario, you spend some time out there and hopefully find some areas to hunt more/harder in the future.
The problem is that 4 point deer tag may take 10+ the next time he is able to draw it. Point creep is bad now and will get really bad post 90/10. Guys need to make the most of their hunts like it might be their last...

jbwright

WKR

^ Good advice and coming from a place of wisdom

rwell98

FNG
The problem is that 4 point deer tag may take 10+ the next time he is able to draw it. Point creep is bad now and will get really bad post 90/10. Guys need to make the most of their hunts like it might be their last...
Good point! I overlooked that part of it. In that case, I probably wouldn't be burning those points up on a shortened trip if it was me.

that's like comparing apples to horse shit and that's coming from somebody that bow hunted western ND last fall and also spent 10 days & 4 points on a WY rifle deer hunt.

rwell98

FNG
that's like comparing apples to horse shit and that's coming from somebody that bow hunted western ND last fall and also spent 10 days & 4 points on a WY rifle deer hunt.
LOL so which one is the apples and which is the horse shit?