Is 5 days enough for Wyoming?

tdhanses

WKR
That was an idea I had. 2023 will be a long trip if everything goes to plan, so I thought I would hold that for then. Extra help will be a necessity for that trip for sure.
I also gave up a chance to go to BC as an extra on a hunt in 22. Thought if I took a short trip that combined may buy me some points around the house.
Might still be worth doing just to get her used to it and build more pts for next year, add another $500 to your trip for her benefit.

I’ve done it many times with three kids... like they say above: 1) knowing the area really helps. I’d think about a weekend summer trip to scout. 2) fly one of the grandmas into town while you’re gone. 3) look at red eye flights... you’ll recover from short night of sleep in exchange for more hunting.

Good luck!

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

FNG
Depends on the area and if you are hunting the right 5 days. In my favorite area, I would be comfortable with 3-4 days. In my buddies favorite area, 5 would really be pushing it as it takes us a day in and out. Would be glad to offer more specific through PM.

The problem is that 4 point deer tag may take 10+ the next time he is able to draw it. Point creep is bad now and will get really bad post 90/10. Guys need to make the most of their hunts like it might be their last...
I think this point just made up my mind. I will keep the deer points and burn the lope points this year on a shorter hunt.
I hadn't thought of point creep as I made up my mind. Starting at 4 will be alot better than 0. Thanks for the help guys

Marble

WKR
Why don’t you invest in added help for your wife even if just a few days to give her a break? Get a sitter you trust and send her to a spa and then bump your trip back to 12 days.
I agree get more creative.

When my kids were little we lived several hours from family. I would arrange to have my wife go home and visit family for most of the 2 weeks I would be gone.

If you have the money and the time, make it happen. Be sure to take of the better half and take her on a vacation.

As far as time is concerned for a hunting trip. I like to set two full weeks aside. This gives time to travel, time to take a rest and time to get stuff fixed if it breaks. It also gives me time to wait out weather.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Just my perspective...

I have never missed a year. My elk/deer trip trip is what I dream of all year.

I've planned a wedding, the birth of children and other special events around it.

Two separate years while fighting different cancers I moved treatment to work around my hunting trips.

Some day there may be something that keeps me from going. When it does, you guys won't ever hear about it because I'll be dead.

wytx

WKR
You might want to rethink your burning those pronghorn PP until we see what winter brings.
Always a chance your deer area is close to an airport to cut down on that travel time. You can fly from Denver to many Wyoming airports now.

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

FNG
I've planned a wedding, the birth of children and other special events around it.
Haha. I didn't get to plan the births. Nature and a couple drinks did that for me. Got lucky on that point though. 2 summer birthdays. My MIL passed away in 2020 after an accident. She would usually come stay and help with my oldest daughter. That made things much easier when I was gone.
I know what you mean about putting things aside to go hunting though. I basically stopped construction on my house for 2 weeks so I could do the 3rd season deer hunt in Colorado this year. I just think a shorter trip would be best this year. I am not crazy about hunting antelope. I would much rather hunt deer or elk but antelope for a week beats staying home.

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

FNG
You might want to rethink your burning those pronghorn PP until we see what winter brings.
Always a chance your deer area is close to an airport to cut down on that travel time. You can fly from Denver to many Wyoming airports now.
Good point. Does winter kill hit pH hard?

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks Laramie. I was asking more in general but you bring up one of my concerns. If I fly out it would be to stay in a motel or Air bnb etc. So all of my hunting would be day hunts without setting a camp. I guess that's a large part of my question. Is a WY deer hunt feasible under those restrictions?

If it's those accomodations, have you considered bringing the family and maybe gaining more days to hunt?

Rich M

WKR
With my limited experience, I'm on the fence regarding a 5-day mule deer hunt. I did a NE WY antelope hunt and seen a decent mule deer buck and a fork horn during the time there. Also seen hundreds of does.

Then did a CO mule deer hunt and took 4 days to see the first real buck, seen a fork on day 2 on side the road. Ended up shooting him on day 6 of the 10-day season. Buddy decided on Day 9 that he'd had enough and was happy with the experience (he missed 2 on days 7 & 8, and passed 1 on day 9).

IMO, Antelope is a good 1-week hunt, and like someone said, once you get your antelope, then you can go scout for mule deer and learn the unit you want to hunt better. Sounds like a win-win.

Wife also sounds like a trooper. A wise man takes care of his wife and kids. I'd still look into getting a young lady (baby sitter) to come in daily to help your wife with the kids. At least a couple of days.

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

FNG
With my limited experience, I'm on the fence regarding a 5-day mule deer hunt. I did a NE WY antelope hunt and seen a decent mule deer buck and a fork horn during the time there. Also seen hundreds of does.

Then did a CO mule deer hunt and took 4 days to see the first real buck, seen a fork on day 2 on side the road. Ended up shooting him on day 6 of the 10-day season. Buddy decided on Day 9 that he'd had enough and was happy with the experience (he missed 2 on days 7 & 8, and passed 1 on day 9).

IMO, Antelope is a good 1-week hunt, and like someone said, once you get your antelope, then you can go scout for mule deer and learn the unit you want to hunt better. Sounds like a win-win.

Wife also sounds like a trooper. A wise man takes care of his wife and kids. I'd still look into getting a young lady (baby sitter) to come in daily to help your wife with the kids. At least a couple of days.
I am going to plan on antelope and hold off on deer. It took 5 days in Colorado this year to find a buck we wanted to shoot and it was the second time we hunted the area. I don't think I would be giving it enough time to go into a new area and even hope for success in 5 days. Hell, I may be short changing it on antelope , but I'd rather waste those points than deer points.
My wife is definitely a trooper. She doesn't say much about my hunting addiction as long as everything else is handled the rest of the year. In my defense though, she was sitting next to me when I killed a 5 pt bull in Colorado while we were dating and helped gut him. She had some warning on what she was getting into.

Rich M

WKR
I am going to plan on antelope and hold off on deer. It took 5 days in Colorado this year to find a buck we wanted to shoot and it was the second time we hunted the area. I don't think I would be giving it enough time to go into a new area and even hope for success in 5 days. Hell, I may be short changing it on antelope , but I'd rather waste those points than deer points.
My wife is definitely a trooper. She doesn't say much about my hunting addiction as long as everything else is handled the rest of the year. In my defense though, she was sitting next to me when I killed a 5 pt bull in Colorado while we were dating and helped gut him. She had some warning on what she was getting into.
I think youll enjoy the speed goat hunt.

It was similar w my wife and we had the talk before getting hitched. She has asked me to stay home 1 weekend in 24 years so far. Her probation is up this fall.

Marble

WKR
Haha. I didn't get to plan the births. Nature and a couple drinks did that for me. Got lucky on that point though. 2 summer birthdays. My MIL passed away in 2020 after an accident. She would usually come stay and help with my oldest daughter. That made things much easier when I was gone.
I know what you mean about putting things aside to go hunting though. I basically stopped construction on my house for 2 weeks so I could do the 3rd season deer hunt in Colorado this year. I just think a shorter trip would be best this year. I am not crazy about hunting antelope. I would much rather hunt deer or elk but antelope for a week beats staying home.
I like your attitude and the thought you've put into it.

At a younger age (I'm 45 now), I never thought about it, but there isn't always a next time. I cannot tell you how many guys I've spoken to over the last 10 years where they had lost a hunting partner or were injured in a way that prevented them from chasing their dreams. They are just disappointed and sad that they, or their lifelong hunting partner, were not able to share an experience they dreamed of. Life happens and it is unpredictable. If you find yourself saying "maybe next time" or "im not ready", you'll never be ready, it'll never be perfect. Just go!

I'm not advocating to say heck with the family or ignore obligations. But I've said it many times here. If you want to it bad enough, you'll make it happen. Going for 5 days is better than nothing.

Good luck on your hunt.

WCB

WKR
5 days is enough until your tag isn't filled on day 5. Depending on unit and what you are looking for I'd say 5 days is the standard trip for most guys and can be enough time. Would I prefer more sure but I've been on 10 day hunts and on day 10 got to thinking..."a couple more days would be nice"

That's not a bad option either. Hunt antelope for a day or two and then once filled, go scout the deer area.
3rd this idea. Without scouting, 5 days is real tough. Although as Laramir has repeated, how tough depends on where and the time frame. Most early season higher country stuff is gonna be out the window IMHO

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

FNG
I think youll enjoy the speed goat hunt.

It was similar w my wife and we had the talk before getting hitched. She has asked me to stay home 1 weekend in 24 years so far. Her probation is up this fall.
I hope so. Was planning to do an antelope hunt with buddies, but they have less points than I do. Point creep is putting them further and further behind

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

FNG
I like your attitude and the thought you've put into it.

At a younger age (I'm 45 now), I never thought about it, but there isn't always a next time. I cannot tell you how many guys I've spoken to over the last 10 years where they had lost a hunting partner or were injured in a way that prevented them from chasing their dreams. They are just disappointed and sad that they, or their lifelong hunting partner, were not able to share an experience they dreamed of. Life happens and it is unpredictable. If you find yourself saying "maybe next time" or "im not ready", you'll never be ready, it'll never be perfect. Just go!

I'm not advocating to say heck with the family or ignore obligations. But I've said it many times here. If you want to it bad enough, you'll make it happen. Going for 5 days is better than nothing.

Good luck on your hunt.

I am 37 and watching my dad and others age has kind if made me more adamant on doing the hunts I want to do. My dad's business partner had an accident a couple years ago that severely limited his use of one arm. He still does most of the things he did, but a strenuous hunt is definitely out for him. That and a sudden death in the family drove home for me how quickly things can change for you. If you want to do something, and can do it responsibly, you better get off your ass and go. Like you said, next season might not be an option
It is a thin line between between being responsible to your family and getting in the experiences you want to have before it is too late. I just hope I am staying on the right side of that line.

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

FNG
3rd this idea. Without scouting, 5 days is real tough. Although as Laramir has repeated, how tough depends on where and the time frame. Most early season higher country stuff is gonna be out the window IMHO

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
This is the route I am going. Hopefully I will find something promising for deer that I can hunt when I can devote 10 or so days to it.