Is 6.5 Creed phasing out? Is 6.5 PRC phasing in?

JakeSCH

WKR
Neither are going away anytime soon. Companies like gunwerks are all about the 6.5 PRC and will keep pushing it for long range hunting and like others have said the creedmore is better of the two for the PRS crowd due to barrel life.

My personal opinion is if you reload, go with PRC and if you want to buy factory ammo with the the creedmore. I know COVID has pushed the release of several factory 6.5 PRC lines (Nosler, Federal, Barnes) which currently are in purgatory but they will come out eventually.

Reactions: Che

CorbLand

WKR
For targets at any range and hunting within ~400 yards, the Creedmoor will do the job just fine.

If you want to push that ~400 yard mark on hunting, the PRC would probably be a better option.

Right now is not the time to be looking at ammo availability unless you are looking for what is on the shelf when panic buying is at an all time high. The store I work at has more Creedmoor on the shelf than 30-06, 300 WM and 7 Mag combined. PRC is pretty hard to find but pre March it was coming in regularly and in good quantities.

I dont think the PRC is going to push out the CM but the PRC is very popular. From my limited experience, it seems that those that are buying the CM are looking more at a target gun and those that are getting the PRC are looking for a hunting gun.

Fotis

FNG
It’s kinda like 308. Vs 300 WSM. Both do the job, ones fast and costs more. I think you need both, but that’s just my opinion haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty much nailed it. I have both. A ruger predator in the Creed and a Sauer Atacama in the PRC. Both shoot the 143 ELDX under 1/2 MOA but the PRC has a 300 fps advantage.

Fotis

FNG
And if you want to end the 6.5mm debate, just get a 6.5-300 Wby Mag. I'm loading for one right now and my goodness this is fun/scary. Putting over 80 grains of IMR 8133 in a case and pressing a 6.5 mm bullet on top of it makes me want to update my life insurance policy.
I love my 6.5-300 Bee. Fast flat and great accuracy.

Reactions: Che
The 6.5 PRC isn't going to phase out the 6.5Man bun. Ammo is in a crunch right now. If you look, you can find it. I agree with others, why limit yourself to just one rifle? The last time I checked there were still 7 days in a week!

EastMT

WKR
And if you want to end the 6.5mm debate, just get a 6.5-300 Wby Mag. I'm loading for one right now and my goodness this is fun/scary. Putting over 80 grains of IMR 8133 in a case and pressing a 6.5 mm bullet on top of it makes me want to update my life insurance policy.

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself haha.

eebcd4415a5dc85a7bf9f46ab052064b.jpg

BadDogPSD

WKR
These threads are always fun. I think it's great we have so many options to choose from. Currently I'm using a 6.5 PRC for deer & antelope, and a 300 WM for anything larger. I don't see a difference in accuracy between the two, but I've take a few long range classes and put quite a few rounds down range every year.
Since this was posted in the reloading section, I'll assume he'll be reloading. Lot's of options for bullets and powders for both. The ELD-X and the 215 Bergers have been solid performers. I plan to work up a load for 156 Berger EOL's once I get my reloading room set up (recently moved).

No I don’t think so. I think people don’t really think about just how many people buy creeds. You can find almost every rifle chambered in it, and tons tons tons of factory ammo and brass. I highly highly doubt the prc is close to it, and doubt it ever will be, not that it’s bad, but imo almost all the occasions where the prc is better than the creed (longer range hunting, and heavier game hunting) something else is better than it.

I found mine to be an “anti-Goldilocks” it fits into this grey area of imperfect for almost everything other than I guess antelope hunting. It was more recoil than I wanted for targets, more than needed for whitetails over the creed, less bullet than I wanted for large game, and costed more to reload or buy Ammo for which was hard to find.

I sold it for an enormous loss and bought a ctr in 6.5 creed that shoots better than it did and is more fun to shoot and I have a 30 cal for elk/moose/bear.

FWIW it seems like a total flop on the tactical/competition market. I do think it will be moderately successful in the long range hunting Instagram niche
What rifle did you have in 6.5prc? I personally think its a creed on roids and would take a prc over a creed any day of the week for an all around caliber. Gives you better knock down power at distance and would be better suited for large game (although I would have a different caliber such as a 7 rem or 300wsm). You are right about the recoil and expensive bullets though so it makes it a wash until it gets more popular and the price comes down. Given all the info, I would go with a .308. Such a huge range of ammo and can super light for youth or deer/antelope and go heavy for big game.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

What rifle did you have in 6.5prc? I personally think its a creed on roids and would take a prc over a creed any day of the week for an all around caliber. Gives you better knock down power at distance and would be better suited for large game (although I would have a different caliber such as a 7 rem or 300wsm). You are right about the recoil and expensive bullets though so it makes it a wash until it gets more popular and the price comes down. Given all the info, I would go with a .308. Such a huge range of ammo and can super light for youth or deer/antelope and go heavy for big game.

I built a full custom with a carbon stock and barrel. It shot .4-.7 moa with factory 147

My tikka shoots .4-.6 with factory 147

There is never a scenario for me where the prc gives me anything I need. Not to say it didn’t work, it worked great. It just didn’t give me anything for its negatives. If I’m ever shooting far enough that my creed drops below useful velocity I’m shooting my 300 anyway so it doesn’t matter. If you commonly hunt deer at extended ranges and want a 6.5 it could be a good option without being nuts overbore like a nosler or weatherby. Though I do want a 6.5-300 just because

I have a 6.5CM and a 6.5PRC, love them both, but they are a bit different. My take on the two.

6.5 CM - superbly accurate round that is right at home in a light, short-action hunting rifle. I use it mainly for mountain hunting for sheep and goats and find it pretty ideal for that purpose out to reasonable distances. The round wallops sheep-sized game much harder than I initially expected; and I really enjoy toting and shooting this handy, light, unbraked rifle with very little recoil. I’ve taken numerous species with it and am very impressed.

6.5 PRC - superbly accurate hunting round but it’s really not designed for a short-action rifle or magazine. Mine is a custom rig built on a Borden Ridgeline Action (bigger than a true short action but slightly smaller than std), so it is still pretty light and handy, but slightly beefier than my CM. The round itself definitely carries more downrange energy than the CM, but it also has noticeably more blast and recoil. Bought mine for larger, tougher sheep & goat species, bigger deer, or when I might expect longer range shots.

I‘d likely bring the PRC over the CM to hunt tougher species like Tur or Aoudad.

For most goats, Chamois, Spanish Ibex, NAWS, and deer, the CM is right at home.

IMO - the PRC is very popular right now but don’t see it sending the CM to oblivion anytime soon. If facing a 500+ yard shot on a monster Aoudad I’d be paining for the PRC; but the CM is a very efficient, light-recoiling round that hits game harder than the ballistic charts would indicate. It’s just a joy to shoot. While the PRC hits harder and is a great hunting round folks tend to ignore it’s oddball OAL, and noticeably greater recoil.

What caliber is the 6.5prc comparable to in terms of recoil?

Slightly less than a 270 all other things being equal. I have a CA Mesa. It has a comparatively soft recoil pad. I didn't like the muzzle blast with the factory brake on it. With just the thread protector in place, it is surprisingly comfy to shoot. That's coming from a guy who has had 5 shoulder surgeries on his shooting shoulder.

Lawnboi

WKR
Man based on the threads, people are hammering the prc koolaid.

If I wanted a faster 6.5, I think I’d still go 6.5x284. For lapua brass, and not having to mess with inbetweener actions.

Not to say it’s a bad cartridge. I think it will take off but man the popularity when there’s a whopping handful of brass manufacturers and even fewer factory loads. I’d still buy one.

Now we just have to come up with a smart ass name for prc shooters like was done with the manbun.

The creed isn’t going anywhere because of the target market.

tdhanses

WKR

If I wanted a faster 6.5, I think I’d still go 6.5x284. For lapua brass, and not having to mess with inbetweener actions.

Not to say it’s a bad cartridge. I think it will take off but man the popularity when there’s a whopping handful of brass manufacturers and even fewer factory loads. I’d still buy one.

Now we just have to come up with a smart ass name for prc shooters like was done with the manbun.

6.5 tampon?

Lawnboi

WKR
Man if a 6.5 creedmoor can stop a tyrannosaurus dead in its tracks at 1200 yards a prc should be able to at 1450 all day long with that extra 200 FPS.

All kidding aside. It’s a great time to be shooting. Lots of good new stuff keeps it interesting.

ID_Matt

WKR

I do agree that it might be closing in on needing a smart name.... I have a 6.5-284 and a 6.5 PRC. I think the PRC is a touch more efficient in terms of speed. Inbetweener actions isn't a bad thing in my opinion... mine is loaded in a long action,I have also loaded for one in a short, and I have loaded one in a medium. Works great in all of them. You would really be handcuffing a 284 if you loaded it in a short.....

It’s probably closest to the 270 in terms of recoil, both are much sharper than the CM. However, the round was specifically designed by GA Precision (i believe in cooperation with Hornady) to generate somewhere ~3000-3050fps with a 140ish bullet. The shooting sports experts thought that was the ultimate “sweet-spot” for repeatable inherent accuracy, ballistics, shootability, and barrel life in a 6.5 round. Having owned one for a while now I think they might be right. It just shoots very differently than a CM.