Is 60# compound bow enough for elk?

Looking to bow hunt elk this next season and I'm curious if my setup is capable to taking an elk efficiently. I'm shooting a Hoyt Powermax bow at 60# and 27.5in draw length with 340 spine Easton axis arrows cut at 27.25 Inches long with a 75 grain insert. Total arrow weight is 460gn FOC is 16%
Plenty

not anywhere close to marginal, completely adequate with a reasonable Broadhead choice... I will even say it’s a pretty good looking elk setup

back in 08 or 09 when the rytera alien x was released, it got to be a hard bow to come by that first year... I had to have one, and the only one I could find was 60# so I bought it... I hunted that bow longer than any bow I have owned (a whopping 5 seasons, haha)

back then you needed a fast arrow... speed was trending... I think heavy slow arrows bounced off back then like light ones do now😂

I was shooting a 380gr arrow, muzzy 100 3 blades, and just sighted in with broadheads beginning of august (that was my bow tuning, haha) I shot 5 Roosevelt bulls, 5 Blacktail bucks and a couple big bear while I had that bow, and that was within a 7yr streak I had of not blood trailing a single bull... every elk I killed with that bow I either saw or heard tip over (one ran in front of my buddy and crashed right in front of him)

they would take off like they were on fire, but that was a good killing bow... moral of that is you are way better off than I was at that time (especially since tuning has become so commonplace) and I never had any trouble with that setup... I didn’t know any better, and the elk didn’t either.

I wouldn’t try to “Ashby” a big bull with your setup, but I wouldn’t with my 73# bow and 540gr arrows either.

there is no shot I would take with my setup that I wouldn’t take with yours on an elk, you are good to go

Pitt

FNG
Yes! Spend some money on good fixed blade broadhead. Iron Will and Valkyrie are both worth the money.

CoStick

WKR
I shoot 52lb and 430 gr with 1.5 German kinetic 2 blade. I am sure ,any other 2 blades would work.

I’ve had good luck with G5 Striker V2, and some Muzzy heads in 100gr.
Tried the Montecs as the design and idea are great but hard to keep sharp And had mixed results.
Used to shoot 70# up until my 40’s, then went 60#.

LostArra

WKR
Yes! Spend some money on good fixed blade broadhead. Iron Will and Valkyrie are both worth the money.

I apologize if this comes across as argumentative, not my intent but spending more money is a common theme on this forum and sometimes expensive stuff can make a big difference. I'm sure $35 broadheads are very nice but they are not required to kill an elk with a 60# bow. Some version of a Slick Trick, Muzzy or Magnus have probably killed more animals than all the other broadheads combined.

Accuracy kills elk.

I apologize if this comes across as argumentative, not my intent but spending more money is a common theme on this forum and sometimes expensive stuff can make a big difference. I'm sure $35 broadheads are very nice but they are not required to kill an elk with a 60# bow. Some version of a Slick Trick, Muzzy or Magnus have probably killed more animals than all the other broadheads combined.

Accuracy kills elk.
You are right, about any reputable head will be fine, but the other side of that is 35 bucks for the part that actually kills the animal isn’t really expensive when you break down the money we actually spend chasing elk.

I could make every aspect of killing an elk every year very cheap... but of course I like to invest in hunting related stuff like most of us do... broadheads are a small cost in the grand scheme of things... even expensive ones.

I do agree with you completely though, I have seen and proved your theory a lot. There are heads today you can kinda get it all... good price and top shelf quality. My current compound heads are kudu, and they are a great head... especially for the money

I will probably elk hunt with my recurve this year though, and it’s very low energy compared to my compound (low 50’s# and an average 28” draw length) and I will have both iron will and Valkyrie heads in my quiver, they are worth it for the application.

a 60# bow and 475gr arrow is a different level in energy vs my recurve, but it’s still never a bad investment to shoot a top shelf head for elk... a big bull that has been wallowing is hell on cheap blade steel... dried mud, matted hair and thick hide alone can mangle the blades of a cheap head... don’t have to spend a fortune to have a reliable head, but it is worth some thought.

I am not a slick trick fan, but something like a viper trick will hold together and penetrate well... tooth of the arrow seems to be making some good heads for a fair price, kudu has very good tolerance and excellent blade steel, QAD exodus is a good proven head... vpa are a boringly reliable head, alien archery makes some well priced heads... the list is long for heads that will perform without costing a lot... there are even more heads that aren’t the best options.

it’s not a bad idea to avoid aluminum ferrule, flimsy designs, and huge cutting diameters when picking a head for killing elk, even though the vast majority will kill said elk when a good shot is made.

I think there is a misconception these days that you will kill critters with bad shots if you spend enough on your broadheads... unfortunately that doesn’t play out in real life ;)

I have seen a few Broadhead failures on elk, from bent ferrule, to folded up heads, to shedding blades, to broken blades, etc.... most of those failed heads still killed just fine.... only one didn’t, and it was my head, and happened to be a very popular and reputable head... it’s not worth it IMO, but you don’t need to spend 100 bucks to make sure that doesn’t happen

No worries with a 60 lb bow and a 460 grain arrow. There are a lot more broadhead options available at those specs than what the general consensus tells you. You don't have to shoot a COC and have plenty of options up to and including mechanicals.

Looking to bow hunt elk this next season and I'm curious if my setup is capable to taking an elk efficiently. I'm shooting a Hoyt Powermax bow at 60# and 27.5in draw length with 340 spine Easton axis arrows cut at 27.25 Inches long with a 75 grain insert. Total arrow weight is 460gn FOC is 16%
You'll be fine. With your setup I recommend going with a durable fixed one piece broadhead. Know your trajectory limitations and focus on shot placement. Stay away from the dreaded shoulder blade.

KyBeamBum

FNG
Your setup will be fine. Shot placement is equally if not more important in my opinion so practice ,practice, practice.

For perspective, this was an early 2000’s Hoyt cybertec right at 50#, at 24.5” draw, 410gr arrow and a big bodied roosie at 25yds... bull literally took 2 steps after the shot and was dead as dead gets in under 30 seconds. I could outrun that arrow, haha.

again, this was before the heavy arrow craze, we just put an arrow together that made sense and flew well

Same year I shot my bull with a 65# gt500, with a 400ish gr arrow, frontal, and the arrow went all the way through him and was sticking out of the back of the ham... full penetration

Attachments

• 2EA4C9C7-99C2-4757-903A-7DAB174D311A.jpeg
    2EA4C9C7-99C2-4757-903A-7DAB174D311A.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 73

Onski316

FNG
I think it's interesting how often I see this question. I'm on trad sites and there's guys on there using 40# recurves and longbows that are only making about 30fpe compared to a compound in the 50-70fpe range. I don't think you would have any problem so long as your range is appropriate and you have good shot placement.

I shot 80# as a teenager. Went to 70# as an adult. Recently went to 60# now in my mid 40’s. Should have went with 60# a long time ago. I’ve always shot some kind of fixed blade broadhead but I prefer two and three blade heads. Currently shooting a two blade single bevel, Easton fmj’s, 75 grain half out inserts.

My first bull I killed with 60 lbs 27” 405 gn arrows at 45 yards with a pass through

It’s no good. You will need 80# and a flat brim hat to even enter the elk woods….
just kidding fellas.
I know a guy with the North American slam that shot everything with 62# and G5 Striker Mags.