Is a .22 ok for elk?

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
Wait... You mean this is all a joke? I should be using a .22 magnum? Sounds like some real Rambo-type Hollywood shit...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Trr15

WKR
Can someone enlighten me as to the recent trend in downplaying the need for (or even belittling the idea of) shooting magnum caliber rifles? It’s seems lots of guys take issue with people being more comfortable with magnum calibers for larger game animals. I understand the argument for more recoil, more flinch, less accuracy in some cases, but there is a reason magnum calibers exist. Yes, modern bullet technology is leaps and bounds beyond where it was even 30 years ago, but there aren’t too many guys carrying a .243 as their moose rifle, or a .380 as their bear country side arm.

Come on guys - unless it has a magnum attached to the end it can’t kill elk. We need to be fair to the animals and use a .22 mag, long rifle won’t cut it.

Not to mention the cost effective of a 22 I just saw yesterday there was 200 rounds of remington go for $120. Why would anyone shot a .17

Achigan1

Lil-Rokslider
This ain’t your granddaddy’s mountain, fudd.
All you need is a 17 caliber high BC monometal slug, a 3 pound scope in 19 oz. worth of mounts glued into a carbon fiber stock to save weight, a kestrel, a tripod, a bipod, a rear rest, a ballistic calculator and a drop chart.
Sheesh.

JCooper

FNG
That’s great then, my Ruger 10/22 Magnum will be perfect. I think I even have some of those Hornady bullets with the red tip!

Spoonbill

WKR
Can someone enlighten me as to the recent trend in downplaying the need for (or even belittling the idea of) shooting magnum caliber rifles? It’s seems lots of guys take issue with people being more comfortable with magnum calibers for larger game animals. I understand the argument for more recoil, more flinch, less accuracy in some cases, but there is a reason magnum calibers exist. Yes, modern bullet technology is leaps and bounds beyond where it was even 30 years ago, but there aren’t too many guys carrying a .243 as their moose rifle, or a .380 as their bear country side arm.
I think part of if is a pushback of all the articles saying “you need a 338 super mag to shoot elk, 270 won’t cut it.” Naturally people who had seen the opposite happen started pushing back. That and people got tired of hearing people who missed or crippled elk using a magnum that they hadn’t practiced with or flinched so bad because they hadn’t practiced with their rifle.
Threads like @PNWGATOR ‘s thread about using a 223, just highlight that new shooters need trigger time moreso than a rifle that will anchor elk.

BuzzH

WKR
Don't know about elk, but I shot this doe mule deer with a .22 magnum rimfire. Probably 90 yards broadside, hit it behind the shoulder, ran maybe 40 yards, wobbled and dead. Bullet was just under the hide on the off-side expanded about to the size of a dime. CCI hollow point bullet.

muledeerdoe.JPG

Friend shot a doe the same day with a 25-20 and it also worked pretty well, but the .22 magnum worked better, IMO.

Don't know about elk, but I shot this doe mule deer with a .22 magnum rimfire. Probably 90 yards broadside, hit it behind the shoulder, ran maybe 40 yards, wobbled and dead. Bullet was just under the hide on the off-side expanded about to the size of a dime. CCI hollow point bullet.

muledeerdoe.JPG

Friend shot a doe the same day with a 25-20 and it also worked pretty well, but the .22 magnum worked better, IMO.
Nah those does were killed by the rampant wolves in Wyoming