Is a .22 ok for elk?

TheGDog

WKR
I dunno if anyone said this yet - but it'll be best if you use all copper bullets for deeper penetration:

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/copper-22/6-925CC.html
Negative... they don't mushroom like they should, they just pencil on thru. (Being serious here actually)

Actually it was the frustration I was experiencing using these Copper-22's that led me to buying my .17 HMR. Because at this one spot I go to for Rabbits... they typically provide shot opportunities at about 80yds, and with that Copper 22 round... that's right about when the trajectory drop-off starts to really begin to get dramatic.

Now that I use .17 HMR? Pssh... will likely never bother with using a .22 LR ever again. Real talk. If I could? I'd use .17 HMR for Quail/Dove and JackRabbit too. But ya can't use em for Dove/Quail, and in LA county locations you can't use em for Jacks.

Last edited:

Mosby

WKR

Hondo

WKR
Luke Skywalker took down the freaking Death Star with a well placed 22LR and it probably weighed more than an elk. It's all about shot placement. Ear canal when broadside, nostrils when straight on and anus when facing away. The anus is nature's most glorious bullseye.

It wasn't amusing for that dead deer, I assure you. Worked every bit as well as any center-fire I've killed a deer with. Why shouldn't a .22 magnum rimfire be used to kill a deer at 90 yards, because you've never done it?

Well aware of the regs, I have that OTC Region 6 Montana deer b- tag from that deer in my office drawer.

The number you're looking for in regard to reporting this "violation" is 1-800-TIPMONT. Be sure to cite the specific regulation that was violated.
Buzz, I’ll apologize again for running my mouth. See post #66 above. I thought i was educating the 20 year old kid in the photo. Had no intention of calling anyone.

If you were my best friend I’d still say this. i still don’t think it’s cool to shoot big game with relatively lightweight low energy cartridges. Just my 2 cents ... and I thought that was the sarcastic/humorous intent of this post in the first place.

otoh if anyone is looking to shoot me. Please use .22 shorts or less. Thank you.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
As I get older, I get less and less interested in threads like this.

Everyone these days thinks you need sitka gear and a new-fangled 22lr to hunt elk. It's a never-ending hamster wheel of hedonistic adaptation.

I'm old school and like to keep it simple. Plenty of elk have been killed by guys throwing rocks and wearing untanned loincloths.

That old gear is good enough for me. The reason I go hunting in the first place is to forget about all these modern distractions like agriculture and symbolic language.

Ein

FNG
I get that you jokers think it's fun to pretend a 40gr hollowpoint will kill elk, but why chance it. Some one might stumble on this thread and not recognize the humor. If you're trying to kill anything bigger than a coyote just use these. They hit like a hammer and sting like lightning...

A .22 doesn’t give the quarry enough of a sporting chance. I’m more of a traditionalist and prefer to take my slingshot or boomerang when I’m chasing elk. All these new fangled .22s and .17s are gonna ruin the sport of it. It’s time for folks to go back to the old ways. Just my 2¢

Azone

WKR
I get that you jokers think it's fun to pretend a 40gr hollowpoint will kill elk, but why chance it. Some one might stumble on this thread and not recognize the humor. If you're trying to kill anything bigger than a coyote just use these. They hit like a hammer and sting like lightning...

Those things are weak, trajectory of a flying brick no way your taking a bull at 750 yards with those. One would need a 40 MOA scope mount and several prayer candles to get them out that far.