Is a 25 degree bag enough for September in Colorado?

Poser

WKR
Depends on what kind of shape the bag is In, how warm of a sleeper you are, if you are willing to sleep in some clothes and what elevation you’ll be hunting.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
For an average sleeper I would say probably with a good pad. I used a 30* with an uninsulated pad 2 Septembers ago (first week), got cold one night when it got below freezing but was fine besides that. I would test it before you go out in similar temps as what you are expecting though

chasewild

WKR
Yes.

I've slept in cheesecloth bags at 10k for two nights, 22 days in a 32* bag at 11,000 (in one stretch) and now use a 15 degree WM apache for everything up to 14k during sept and oct. You're good to go.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, assuming you have a pad, insulated, I think it would be fine. Worse case is sleep in some of your layers. I usually take an ultralight 35 degree summer bag and an insulated pad and have never gotten cold, but I’m a warm sleeper.

Last edited:
That will be fine, especially with a decent pad. I use a 20 degree bag in September (much lower quality than a WM) and it's usually more than enough. If you are going the last week of the month you may want to bring something heavier, last few days of the 2018 season I wish I had my 0 degree bag.

OP
Split toe

Split toe

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. I do have a insulated pad. I was on the fence if I should sale it and buy the versalite from WM which is a 10 degree bag.

is a 3.2R value considered an insulated pad? I'm running a 32 degree bag and a 3.2R Neolite. My plan is to buy a reactor bag liner to add 15 degrees of extra warmth

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to be sure and avoid buying a new expensive bag, add a liner like the Farrington by Big Agnes. Will add about 10-15 degrees to your current setup. They make an even lighter down version. If weight isn't an issue you could go with a merino wool liner. These liners all pack up very small, protect your bag (easier to wash), and will add a layer of versatility to your setup to deal with the quick changes in weather that can happen in September in CO. I have seen times when we had over a foot of snow in September - didn't last long but made for some pretty cold days of hunting.

LandYacht

WKR
Yes, a 25* WM will be just fine. WM is a very true rated bag. If you sleep cold then you may want to think about some base layers to accompany the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Bring a pad and a liner or blanket. You're from Arkansas, it will be a dry cold, not the same as when humid. If you're cold natured get a better bag or bring a good wool blanket to drape over your bag and cot.
I use a -25 bag in Sept through Nov hunts. You could get a really cold front and snow in Sept or be 60+ degrees.

There are lots of times it wouldn't be enough for me to be comfortable without a puffy and a hat. If you have a decent pad, its a decent bag, and you don't mind bundling up if you need you should be fine. I sleep a little cold, plus depending on where and how high, the nighttime temps certainly can be below 25 (could also be 50!) out here. If you have a decent base layer, puffy, and hat to put on if needed you should get by even if the temps drop into the low 20's.

OP
Split toe

Split toe

WKR
In retrospect I wish I would have got a bag a little warmer then I would for sure be warm enough for September and could even use it if I rifle hunt out west.

wytx

WKR
A good liner and a bivy cover or bedroll cover would really make that bag a colder weather bag and you would still be able to use it in milder weather.

prm

WKR
How about a solid, probably. I can say it would not be enough for me two weeks later in 1st rifle where last year it got down to zero deg. But if you wear some insulation, it should be ok for Sept.
The challenge with late sept and early oct is the temps can vary tremendously. I’ve seen 60s and I’ve seen zero. Couple days of rain, or a foot of snow. Very early Sept is relatively predictably on the warmer side and by late oct it will be colder. In between, who knows.

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
plays your cards, takes your chances...

You gotta ask yourself if are you buying a bag to be comfortable 90% of the time and are willing to suffer or call a play action if you have an outlier of cold temps hit?

CO at 11k ft base camp, I've had it as warm as 42 degrees at night in Sept and my brother has had it as cold as 6 degrees for several nights running during the last week of archery. Mountain weather, mountain luck....

Typically between 22 and 35 degrees--

Invest money in good socks & boots, a good bag & pad.