Is a $600 backpack worth it??

EvanG17

FNG
Doing my first trip out west this year. Many more hunts planned and would love the chance to hunt other big game in a ton of states in the years to come. (28 yrs old) But im having a hard time choosing between two different packs. The stone glacier talus 6900, and the kuiu 6000. I dont have anyone or any where near me that has these available to try out. I guess what i really am trying to ask is a $600 pack worth it? Like is it a buy once cry once type of ordeal? And if i do buy, what pack have people had more luck or suggest over the other?

WRM

WKR
Yes, if you can swallow the pill now, a $600 pack is worth it. Can you get by with less? Yes. But, it sure is nice to not have to "get by". A cheap, poor fitting pack is going to let you down or make tasks more difficult or both. I do my best to follow cry once, whenever I can.

Now, which $600 pack is the $64 million question. I too like Exo and have never had any issue with any of their packs or frames. You may need to order a couple makes and try them out at home before the return period ends.

I am a bargain hunter and value seeker more than anyone I know. I will always try to find a product that works well enough for the least amount of cost.

I have tried to do this with packs and have come to the conclusion that there is a difference, and the difference is worth paying an extra $200-300 if you can afford it on packs.

If you can’t afford it, at least wait until KUIU has a sale on packs or look in the classifieds. I have seen a lot EXO K2 packs sell for $400 in the last six months.

Yes. I haven’t had a chance to test out my EXO other than short hikes in the desert but so far it feels like a winner. I’ll share the experience I have with higher end packs from years ago. I used whatever cheap pack I could get my hands on for years while backpacking and mountaineering. A friend saved up and bought a Dana Designs (top of class back then). He let me borrow it. The comfort and load hauling difference was amazing. After that I saved up and bought a nicer pack, well worth the money, even though I didn’t have much money. I don’t know why I’ve just lived with an old Kelty frame when hunting as it makes no sense when I know what a difference a better pack can make. Not this year 👍

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
Doing my first trip out west this year. Many more hunts planned and would love the chance to hunt other big game in a ton of states in the years to come. (28 yrs old) But im having a hard time choosing between two different packs. The stone glacier talus 6900, and the kuiu 6000. I dont have anyone or any where near me that has these available to try out. I guess what i really am trying to ask is a $600 pack worth it? Like is it a buy once cry once type of ordeal? And if i do buy, what pack have people had more luck or suggest over the other?
If your hunting hard for multiple days or weeks and putting a lot of miles on a "$600" pack is crucial. Theres going to be a thousand things that happen that are going to suck but one huge one you can control is carrying all your gear comfortably. I have buddies that hunt with the stones and kuiu's and like em a lot. I personally hunt with a Kifaru hoodlum but Im switching this year to a hellbender. Can't say enough about their packs, damn near indestructible and haul the world comfortably.

Hoodie

WKR
If you're looking for a solid load hauler that is somewhat less than that and don't mind packing meat in the bag, consider a Mystery Ranch Terraframe or Glacier.

But in general, packs are worth spending on. Along with boots and optics (depending on hunt), they are arguably the most important things to spend on.

jhm2023

WKR
You buy it nice or you buy it twice is always a good rule of thumb for most purchases. The Stone Glacier pack is an excellent choice but it's more minimalist in terms of pockets if that matters a lot to you. I had a Kuiu pack and I only kept it for one season. Now I've been using a Stone Glacier sky talus and sky guide for the last 4 years and will likely never buy anything different.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
For me I like to think about these large purchases over time. Most decent packs will last 10-20yrs with normal use. I'd gladly pay more for 10-20yrs of comfort.

Get a pack that fits you. Check it with a load of weight you would expect haul out. To me that really separates whether one is comfortable or not. I have a kifaru fulcrum and like it. It can haul more than I can. If your planning future hunts"buy once cry once". Check classifieds there's always something on/off for sale. Good luck

Reactions: WRM
Exo is selling seconds for $100 off, if they still have them in stock.

For the construction and American made quality, it's definitely worth it.

There's a lot of good packs out there.