Is a $600 backpack worth it??

Rick653

FNG
If you can wait you should go to the Total Archery Challenge in MI this year. I know mystery ranch and kifaru both had booths in PA last year.

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Take this for what it's worth. I've not climbed a mountain or packed out a critter. I'd say I'm in the "training" phase for that.

I started trying to pack weight in a simple Camelbak MULE. Hucked a couple SCUBA weights in and went for it. I've "upgraded" several times since, going through 2 Badlands packs, a US Army ruck and landed on a Kifaru Stryker on a Duplex frame.

Unequivocally YES, a $600 pack is worth it.

As a weird but maybe useful side note, the Kifaru pack/frame is LESS comfortable with just my day gear than any of the others but that system shines when you start to load it.

Your mileage may vary and different systems will fit different body types and shapes better

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely worth the money, Mystery ranch makes great packs at a decent value. I have an Exo 4800 k3 and love it. Just purchased a SG sky 5900 for my wife. Packs, boots and sleeping bags are not the area to skimp.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I will say a decent pack is definitely worth the investment, but you don’t have to spend $600+ either. Mystery Ranch routinely clears out packs for $300 or less and they are more than enough pack to get you in the mountains packing heavy loads comfortably. I used a Horn Hunter Full Curl for years and it was great at hauling loads, despite being a heavy pack. I’m not saying either option is as good as an exo or kifaru, especially since I haven’t used them more than trying on a buddies pack, but I will say that my Mystery Ranch has never limited me in any way. I’ve packed out heavier loads, faster, and needed less recovery than friends with more expensive packs. Once you get a reasonable amount of comfortable, it’s all mental and physical preparation after that.

Don’t cheap out, but if you are pinching pennies trying to make this work, you don’t need to spend $600 either. I’m still using that older generation mystery ranch to carry some heavy loads and I’ve yet to find the value in upgrading. The extra $300-$400 it would take is another deer tag.. not worth it to me yet.

Also just a note, most don’t factor in that many of the more expensive pack prices listed are for a bare bones pack. It adds up if you start adding hip pouches and other accessories, real quick. Buy used if you go high end for sure!

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I asked myself the same question for a long time before buying an "expensive pack". after messing around with military packs and some cheaper packs, I pulled the trigger on an EXO 4800 and have had no regrets with 70 lbs going 5+ miles. The way a well made and proper fitting pack carries weight is priceless.

kickemall

WKR
Packs and boots that fit properly are worth every dime you pay for them and should be a priority for where your money goes.

OP
E

EvanG17

FNG
Im going to be trying some packs out at a local shop. I will let everyone know what i decide to buy and what the reasons are i went that way

nobody

WKR
The answer to this question is convoluted. In short, is a $600 pack worth it? If it doesn't fit you right, it doesn't matter how much you paid, it's not worth it. The opposite is also true.

Price does not equal quality or functionality. Fit, quality, and function are most important, price be darned. You could spend all of the money on a Kifaru you want, but if it doesn't fit you, then that $800 pack isn't worth two pennies to you. A few years ago, I did the same thing you're wanting to do. I opened the wallet and bought a Stone Glacier because I wanted a high end pack. It was super nice and really high quality, but it didn't fit me quite right and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to fit either. So it was $600 poorly spent, didn't matter how nice the pack was. It wasn't worth a dime to me. I picked up a Mystery Ranch Metcalf on a sale last year for about $320, and it fits me perfectly and it's high quality. So for me, the Mystery Ranch has higher value than the Stone Glacier did, just because it fits me better.

Bottom line, buy quality and buy what fits. Ignore the price tag, buy what works. If that's an Exo, then great. If it's a MR, awesome. If it's a Badlands, more power to you. Find a quality pack that fits you and you'll never regret it and never need to replace it. The best part is there's not really any big name pack out there that just straight up sucks. Once you hit the threshold of Stone Glacier/Kifaru/Exo/Seek Outside/Kuiu/Or even Mystery Ranch, you're out of the woods on buying a pack of questionable build quality. Pick a big name that fits, slide your card, and then run it and quit looking for something else!

A premium pack is worth the cost relative to other gear used. However, it difficult to determine which one will fit you best based on brand alone. I had to buy and sell a few to find the one that worked best for me based on my anatomy and needs. The best move would be to buy multiple, hike in each with weight loads similar to your intended use and determine which works best, then return the others.

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
A premium pack is worth the cost relative to other gear used. However, it difficult to determine which one will fit you best based on brand alone. I had to buy and sell a few to find the one that worked best for me based on my anatomy and needs. The best move would be to buy multiple, hike in each with weight loads similar to your intended use and determine which works best, then return the others.
Do these companies actually let you use the product and then return it for a full refund?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

I would have to check, but I know with kifaru you can’t cancel or change order once submitted. So it seems unlikely. Best option is to go to trade show or hook up with someone close to you who is similar size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree my vote is kifaru. And at least if it doesn’t fit right resale value is extremely good. Each company has a little something different. Maybe you’ll get it right on the first pick but maybe it will be a journey.

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
So much useful info. I’m in the buy once camp. But even with that being said I bought twice. I first went with Kifaru and loved it, but had some chafing issues and for some reason a stone glacier fits me better so that’s what I run now. The awesome thing about buying a nice pack is they have decent resale if you need to swap.

One absolute important thing in any pack for serious hunting is making sure the stays are stiff enough and long enough for load transfer. It might not matter on short hikes or with daypack loads, but when you have an animal down or a full pack it’s essential. Packs with soft stays may be more comfortable to try on just fyi, but don’t be fooled. There are some good brands out there that make quality stuff that do not have functional load lifters in them. I personally wouldn’t have one of those packs for varying meet or backpacking.

So in other words it’s not just about $600 or above, but fit and functional load lifters.

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
And another word on that I would highly recommend Kifaru they are super helpful and went out of their way for me. If I get a chance to try some of the new frames out in person in the future I may buy one.

It’s all about load transfer. A good pack transfers load to your body. And your body transfers load to the feet/boots. So to me those( pack and boots) would be my priority for allocating funds. Buy once cry once is my motto as well.