Is a $600 backpack worth it??

jd1006

WKR
I train with my Kifaru frame weekly, if not more often. I think people pay big money for fitness equipment and that’s how I justify my gear. It keeps me in shape, it’s great for my health.

Luckyrxc

FNG
No. It is by far more advisable to purchase six $100 backpacks before you finally give in and then buy the good one. Many of us have done this or similar.
But really, I think you can do it for far less than $600 as there are a ton of really nice packs regularly available in the classifieds section here at Rokslide.
If you buy used from the classified section it can give you a lower cost of entry and reduce the impact if it takes you a couple of tries to get it right (fit and features).

After a lot of research, I just bit the bullet and bought my first ever $600 ($700 after tax) pack system. I went with a Kifaru frame and Stryker XL. It's light enough and mobile enough that I can do my saddle hunting deep in Appalachian public land and have the ability to pack meat out, as well load up camp for a multi-day western hunt, which I'd eventually like to start doing.

The price tag hurts but as their tagline says, hopefully it's gear for life. $700 isn't too bad for a decade of reliable use in multiple settings.

High quality pack is 100% worth it, although I have no experience with either of the ones you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totoro

WKR
Frame fit, first and foremost importance for me.

Followed by meat hauling friendliness, meaning gotta have a meat shel

Lastly, organization.

That said, there is more refinement in fit and function when you get to the "Alpha" bags.

Will what your are carrying notice any difference, nope.

Will your body notice, I would hazard to guess, yes.

Good luck in your search!

joel

FNG
Any pack will work for light loads but the $600 + packs are well worth the money if and when you pack out heavy. Gregory makes nice packs for the avg hiker....but they are only rated for 50 lbs.....I guess that will work if you are going out west to hunt rabbits or chukar but thats about it. When you pack a load you will wish you had spent the money. There are a few good reviews of the higher end packs and Stone Glacier and Exo are always in the top. I use Exo and love the pack for all things heavy and light. I was deciding between the Stone and the Exo. The Exo is made here in my home state of idaho so i went with them and do not regret it for one minute.

I spend way too much money on gear that I don’t use enough.

having said that, when I started backpacking in the 1990s the top of the heap was a Dana Designs Terraplane. I drooled over them. When most packs - north face, Gregory - were $300 to $400,the Dana packs were $500. I finally got some $ saved and bought one. Used it for 20 years and gave it away. I bet it is still going strong. I bet my current pack will last longer than my back and legs do.

I would say a high end pack is one piece of hunting gear, like a good rifle or good scope, that you won’t wear out. My clothes and boots will get used up or degrade. Shelters will get shredded. But I can see myself doing my last hunt years from now with my tikka and my mystery ranch backpack.

I’d try to try various packs on before committing to one, to the extent that’s possible. I bought a MR and an Oregon Pack Works before figuring out they both didn’t fit me that well and that load lifters were a must. Buy once, cry once.

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Went cheap years ago with an Alps Commander. It is a good pack but nothing compared to other top of the line packs. Got talked into an EXO and loved it, wasn't looking to change. Last year I was given a Kifaru and now my EXO won't be used again untill my Grandson is big enough. When I took the jump from a "cheap pack" to the EXO I realized how dumb I was for trying to save on the pack. Kifaru can be addicting because of the modular system and the versatility. People are always changing there set ups and you can usually find some good deals on here or facebook. Try on as many as you can and see what fits you best. I know a lot of people that swear by an EXO pack on a Kifaru frame. In my opinion the Big Three not to skimp on are pack, boots, and sleep system.

Karlg

FNG
Buy once, cry once! I didn't and I have just finally upgraded to an EXO 4800 which is heads and shoulders better than my previous bags for carrying heavy weights

wgonfan

FNG
definitely hard to swallow. For me the trick was to find a pack that I would use more than once a year.

Yes

I had an Eberlestock (Dragonfly) which absolutely sucked IMO. Worst shoulder pain IME especially with heavy loads.

Switched to Kifaru and it was night and day. Makes heavy loads pleasant if that's possible.

Rokwiia

WKR
having said that, when I started backpacking in the 1990s the top of the heap was a Dana Designs Terraplane. I drooled over them. When most packs - north face, Gregory - were $300 to $400,the Dana packs were $500.

In the 1990s, I think McHale owners might consider their backpacks the top of that heap. The cost of any of those was definitely north of $500.

Russell99

FNG
I have a large badlands Carbon ox for sale never used. Decided to go with Alps commander. I just made an account so I can’t post yet. 500 if buyer pays shipping

Attachments

• A837BED5-3887-465E-96E2-7FD9F3765962.jpeg
    A837BED5-3887-465E-96E2-7FD9F3765962.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 31
  • BCB09237-66C2-48F5-AA69-40E577B2B8B6.jpeg
    BCB09237-66C2-48F5-AA69-40E577B2B8B6.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 3B04F63A-02F0-4158-9680-1A093FE65C8D.jpeg
    3B04F63A-02F0-4158-9680-1A093FE65C8D.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 30