Is a $600 backpack worth it??

JStol5

WKR
Just sold my mystery ranch sawtooth 45 and upgraded to a stone glacier solo. I could tell from the first time I put the stone glacier on that it was in a different caliber of packs. I liked the sawtooth, but under load in a test hike, the stone glacier has made it feel like I’m holding half the weight I am. It’s unbelievable.

When something fits like it was actually made for you... IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY! Especially when it's something like a pack that could be carrying excessive weight.

Until you carry a load on a pack it’s hard to tell which one will fit you the best. My go to when loaded is the mystery ranch sawtooth. I have a kuiu I picked up used and like it for a day pack with the 1850 bag but have packed meat in it twice now and it is very uncomfortable for me. I would look for used packs at a fair price you can get your money back out of if they don’t fit right.

Last edited:
I have a Pintler on the older GL frame. I’ve packed out way fewer critters than many folks on here but it’s had a few including 1/3 of a small bone in bull in it. And as a self proclaimed pussy I’ll never have any more weight in any pack than that. I thought it functioned outstanding for that load.

Of course that pack fits me very very well. Might not fit you that well.

That said, you can get that pack low 300 sometimes. I’d always take the other 300 and put it towards better optics. Of course I’d rather sit and watch than hike around all day with 50lbs on my back.

kcm2

WKR
Let me elaborate. My first elk pack out, I broke a lesser pack. Hurt like hell walking 2 miles in the rain with an elk quarter in it. Bought a Kifaru in 98. Never looked back. My hunting partner had a Schuh pack go south, his hips hurt for a month. My son, and my hunting partners all have Kifaru packs. Many were Christmas gifts from me because we all pack out each others' elk. Never regretted any of my dollars spent on these packs. Oh, and the 98 Spike Camp, after hauling out a dozen elk and plenty of other stuff, is still good as new.

PA Hunter

WKR
Yes absolutely worth it,i had the SG 6900 but sold it for a Kuiu 7800. You can keep an eye out for used packs or wait for sales. Dont forget Kifaru also. You get what you pay for in packs.