Is a Flagship Bow Worth It?

Sizthediz

WKR
This topic is really subjective. If I where to find something that I shot lights out then I'd jump all over it. Not going to matter about the marketing that goes into it. Or what others think. Most flagships are just rebranding of last years model, for the most part.
Go shoot some at your local archery shop.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a 2015 PSE Surge back in 2016 on Clearance. Picked up a Tru Glo Carbon Hybrid sight which I like and eventually had ABB platinum strings and cables put on. To me even though I consider it every now and ten, in reality I don't need to purchase a "flagship" when this thing shoots so damn well.

Appreciate the insight gents.

For those with experience with both types of bows - do you think the performance <40 yards is noticeable? And if so, why? Is there just better overall balance that allows for improved accuracy?
Sounds like you are new to archery?

My suggestion is to find the best bow shop near you, with people who really know their stuff and how to tune. Not just a big box store etc. having the bow set up right is more important than which bow it is. Also coaching for correct form, arrows, sights etc. lots of stuff

I would find the shop, they usually will have old bows for sale, or more affordable options but the real worth is getting their help

After a year or two of shooting you can tell for yourself if a flagship bow is worth the price or not, go demo the new bows

OP
B
Sounds like you are new to archery?

My suggestion is to find the best bow shop near you, with people who really know their stuff and how to tune. Not just a big box store etc. having the bow set up right is more important than which bow it is. Also coaching for correct form, arrows, sights etc. lots of stuff

I would find the shop, they usually will have old bows for sale, or more affordable options but the real worth is getting their help

After a year or two of shooting you can tell for yourself if a flagship bow is worth the price or not, go demo the new bows

Not necessarily new to archery. I’ve successfully hunted whitetail with archery equipment for a decade. Just have never dabbled in the expensive bow arena. Either way this has all been sound advice!

406unltd

WKR
I have one hobby and that’s hunting/shooting. I buy the gear I want. I don’t often settle on something I may not be happy with. If someone isn’t really a gear guy then I’d say it’s not worth worrying about it. Just buy a used older flagship bow. If you like gear and stuff then it’s totally worth it.

I will echo what others are saying - flagship bows, while great, are usually minute upgrades to the previous years flagship... not worth the extra in most cases. Now every once in awhile a manufacturer will come out with a new cam system or something else that might be worth checking out.

If it were me and I wanted a newer bow, I'd go on the classifieds(here or ArcheryTalk) and buy an older flagship. Deals can be had if you wait... I wouldn't be shocked to find 2021 flagships for sub-800 prices.

What I've done, and enjoyed doing, is buying 3-5 year old flagship bows.

Then you're right in the $500-$700 range for the bare bow, unless its something that gets a cult following and goes for more.

So for the Mathews brand example, go find a Vertix, or VXR, or Halon. Don't overthink it. Don't go shoot it next to something brand new. Just know that a few short years ago it was THE thing to have, and it still has plenty of life to be a killer out to your 40 yard example. And beyond. Well beyond.
I agree 100%. You can’t keep up with all the bow said improvements from Year to year. I don’t really think there’s that much difference in a new bow or a 5 year old bow.

bsnedeker

WKR
I agree 100%. You can’t keep up with all the bow said improvements from Year to year. I don’t really think there’s that much difference in a new bow or a 5 year old bow.

Depends what you are looking for. There have been some dramatic improvements in a bow's ability to balance in the last 5 years. Hoyt's lower stabilizer they introduced last year is a HUGE improvement in my opinion. Matthews new dovetail sight mount is frigging GENIUS in it's simplicity....makes me wonder why someone didn't do that years ago!

If you are looking for speed and weight improvements yeah, not much has changed in the last 5 years for sure.

Depends what you are looking for. There have been some dramatic improvements in a bow's ability to balance in the last 5 years. Hoyt's lower stabilizer they introduced last year is a HUGE improvement in my opinion. Matthews new dovetail sight mount is frigging GENIUS in it's simplicity....makes me wonder why someone didn't do that years ago!

If you are looking for speed and weight improvements yeah, not much has changed in the last 5 years for sure.
Yup. I would honestly suggest any Mathews Bows with SW tech. This way you can get like multipurpose bow. Dial it to 50-60 for everything except hunting, and then get it to 70lbs before season to hunt.

I'm a firm believer that buying what you want up front saves upgrading in the future. I had a 2005 bow until a month ago. I'll probably have my "new" bow into the 2030s.

That said, mid-grade bows are awesome nowdays. For me though, I would rather but what I want, even if the returns are diminishing once you get above a certain pricepoint. Used is a great idea, I'm just not finding a lot of used stuff that is waht I want.

I have a 2012 Heli-M. Shoots lights out. However I made a mistake of shooting a new flagship bow and I can’t get the new one off my mind. I keep my bows and trucks at least 10 years! I just can’t see dropping that much cash. I am going to see if I can buy new limbs for my Heli-M and see if I can get the poundage back up. Has dropped off in the last 12 years

Bachto

WKR
I hunted with my dads old bowtech guardian (from 2009 I think?) for years until last year. I found a Hoyt Axius Alpha from the year before on the classifieds here for $650 shipped. If I remember they were about $1000 new and the guy sent it to me in the original box with the hat it came with still in the plastic.

Now compared to my old bowtech that I was used to it was a night and day difference. So I’m sure if did get a even used higher end bow you would have the same experience just based on what you are used to.

Tahoe1305

WKR
The timing on this question is funny for me and my experience may help.

My first bow was a $400 single cam diamond core. 313fps IBO. Still have it and just retuned for a buddy with a longer draw length.

I bought a new v3x this year. It’s great. Very expensive kitted out with the new tech that makes the v3x worth it.

Shooting next to my buddy yesterday I noticed my old diamond is really quiet. I’ve never shot a bow as well as that diamond. I think it was just easy to draw and at 7+ inch brace it was forgiving.

The trade off? Ability to shoot 75lbs with mods and a bow that shoots 40fps faster. For me it was worth it for longer shots and more energy down range.

Inside of 40 yards, I wouldn’t spend the money.

Agree with many that used bows are a great way to have both worlds.

Check out xpedition. Their resell value is really bad (just not the brand recognition/marketing) but the bows are awesome. Year or two old bows are often seen for $500 or less.