Is a GoPro sufficient?

I am just getting interesting in documenting some hunts and trips with photos/video. I am not interested in lugging around cameras and batteries etc... Just something to use that is separate from my phone. Would a basic GoPro be a decent option for getting started and posting some stuff to social media?

If you get a GoPro you're going to be lugging batteries. Those things are incredibly battery inefficient. Maybe they've gotten better the last couple years.

Your phone is probably better than the GoPro for most things. But it lacks zoom, but the GoPro lacks that, too.

There are reasons why people lug around DSLR's and lenses and batteries.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
you should look at the tactacam cameras. 2.5 hours of battery life. Multiple mounts. The downside the to go pro is they use a fisheye lense and the animals that are further than 20 yards appear to be hundreds of yards in the distance. I switched to Tactacam cameras about 3 years ago and couldn't be happier.

OP
M
you should look at the tactacam cameras. 2.5 hours of battery life. Multiple mounts. The downside the to go pro is they use a fisheye lense and the animals that are further than 20 yards appear to be hundreds of yards in the distance. I switched to Tactacam cameras about 3 years ago and couldn't be happier.
Will do! Thanks for the information.

Wapiti1

WKR
A small point and shoot like the Sony HX80 or RX100 would be a better option. Small, good battery life, good/great photos, good/great video. You will find the small cams like a GoPro or Tactacam extremely limiting. They are great for what they are, but they are not widely useful, IMO.

Just accept the idea that you will have extra batteries or some form of charging. There is no way around it for an extended trip in the backcountry.

Jeremy

All my camera gear combined adds 4-7lbs to my backpack, it sucks but having more control over the settings as well as having the memories to look back on is priceless. I have yet to get a chance to hit record on my GoPro before things go western but they're cool for tracking and stuff...as mentioned though if you just walk around with them rolling you'll eat up batteries like you wouldn't believe.

OP
M
A small point and shoot like the Sony HX80 or RX100 would be a better option. Small, good battery life, good/great photos, good/great video. You will find the small cams like a GoPro or Tactacam extremely limiting. They are great for what they are, but they are not widely useful, IMO.

Just accept the idea that you will have extra batteries or some form of charging. There is no way around it for an extended trip in the backcountry.

Jeremy
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve never come across those models. I mainly just want something a little better than my phone for pictures and video without going all out with the DSLR system. Not trying to document a full week long hunt but want to maybe hit some highlights.

Wapiti1

WKR
Call CamerlandNY and talk to Doug or Joel. They'll hook you up. Very knowledgeable and discount happy. Mention you are a Rokslide member.

A point and shoot is about the same size as a GoPro and offers a lot more, like a flash, and zoom lens. Panasonic also offer some good options.

Jeremy

OP
M
Call CamerlandNY and talk to Doug or Joel. They'll hook you up. Very knowledgeable and discount happy. Mention you are a Rokslide member.

A point and shoot is about the same size as a GoPro and offers a lot more, like a flash, and zoom lens. Panasonic also offer some good options.

Jeremy
Awesome. Thank you!

OP
M
Agree with the the Sony line of compact cameras. Lightweight, great battery life and great pic/video capabilities for a point and shoot. I ordered the HX80 from Joel at Cameraland this morning before I even saw this thread. Joel was great to work with and offered a Rok Slide discount.
Good to know. I’ll check into it. Thanks!

hikenhunt

WKR
Another thing about gopro is the video is dark/pixelated in low light, or at least mine is which is now several years old.

Tradit

FNG

Jeremy

How susceptible is the HX80 to water damage if it's raining?

Anyone use a handycam style camera? I have a couple older handhelds that I was going to try to use this year, along with action cameras to supplement.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
My buddies and I film all our hunts and GoPros are good for certain shots and angles but the lack of depth and zoom make it hard to see critters even within bow range.

Check out the Panasonic VX870 or the V770. User friendly, incredible zoom, auto stabilization, and the 870 shoots in 4K if you want to go that route.

Termite

FNG
I bring a gopro with me and just turn on every power saving option I can. I can go all day on two batteries usually. It would be nice to have the screen powered on but I always have it off. I wish I could find a setup like the phone scope so I could center it on my binos quickly. I have got some pretty decent footage holding the the camera up to the binos while looking through the other side. While its not a perfect solution, it has worked with fairly good results. But I have also had some crappy footage of the nothing. Maybe I should 3d print a mount.