Is a last minute spring hunt in mid-May worth it?

Late season snow storm rolled in a pushed our early spring black bear hunt. Unfortunately, due to work constraints, we are likely going to have to reschedule for the fall or wait a year.

But, these does leave me with almost a week off work and wondering if it's possible to pull together something in less than two weeks.

My friend (who was supposed to go on the trip) and I are willing to travel just about anywhere and would be open to a variety of types of hunts but I know pulling something together last minute (less than two weeks away) is likely not possible.

All this to say, if you had a week off work and less than two weeks to put together a spring trip, what would be on your radar?

Dunndm

WKR
Personally, I would probably end up going somewhere local and hunting small game. You could always go on a high fence hunt. It’s not the same I know but it gets you out of the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
Personally, I would probably end up going somewhere local and hunting small game. You could always go on a high fence hunt. It’s not the same I know but it gets you out of the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a bad idea. I wondered about high fence or perhaps coyote some place.

WCB

WKR
Where are you located? Not sure why it would really take more than a couple days to plan a hunt. OTC spring bear tags availible in multiple states. Proximity to opportunity is the limiting factor. But considering you said late season snow storm I am assuming you are out west. Grab your gun and a cooler and hit the road.

OP
S
Where are you located? Not sure why it would really take more than a couple days to plan a hunt. OTC spring bear tags availible in multiple states. Proximity to opportunity is the limiting factor. But considering you said late season snow storm I am assuming you are out west. Grab your gun and a cooler and hit the road.
We were planning on heading to Idaho from the midwest and east coast. Nether of us have spring bear right by us, so wherever we went we'd be hunting unfamiliar territory and had planned to work with a local guide. Out west seemed like the best option but the snow made the roads impassable for a bit and appears to have pushed things in that immediate area back at least week or two.

colby12

WKR
I’d say send it. Surely there is a region with less snow or at least semi accessible to still get a hunt in. Plenty of info on the bear section about snow conditions and what not in OTC states.

MHWASH

WKR
Just hunt the same area you planned to. Same thing happened to us. Because of bad weather we weren’t able to leave when we planned, April 30th. Because my son is finishing up college, we had to put it off until the 16th. It might be warmer and greener, more trees bushes leafing out, but we’re still going.

WCB

WKR
We were planning on heading to Idaho from the midwest and east coast. Nether of us have spring bear right by us, so wherever we went we'd be hunting unfamiliar territory and had planned to work with a local guide. Out west seemed like the best option but the snow made the roads impassable for a bit and appears to have pushed things in that immediate area back at least week
Lots of space outwest....pick a spot and go. I killed my bear 2 days after 8" of snow down at 3500ft. NF I hunted had over a foot plus old snow still found bear tracks. Killed my bear after 2.5 days of hunting at 3600ft in cattle country. You dont have to get high up or far out....just find green

MTtrout

WKR
Grab an OTC bear or turkey tag somewhere and go hunt! Spring hunting is all about hanging with friends and having a good time. Freezer should still be looking good so not as much pressure with filling tags.