Is a meat grinder necessary?

z987k

WKR
I make a lot of bulk sausage. I use the grinder to put bulk in meat bags. They are cheap and they work great. I bought a taping device to seal them up. I use a large tube and a plate in the grinder designed for that application. Before that I vac packed the bulk sausage in one lb packages. Sort of flattened them so they stacked good in the freezer and easy to thaw out. I have several stuffers but I dread stuffing and making links. Once I made bulk bratwurst and just cooked them on the grill or cast iron pan and they were really great on a burger bun.
They key to making links is to have a dedicated sausage stuffer. Using the grinder to stuff sucks.

Stalker69

WKR
I would say a grinder is essential if you plan on processing meat on a regular basis. I personally would get rid of the waffle iron and air fryer If I had to choose items based on storage space. I have a 1hp, but there's no way it sits on the kitchen counter, I store it under the stairs with the rest of my processing equipment.

They key to making links is to have a dedicated sausage stuffer. Using the grinder to stuff sucks.
I agree and would add having one big enough is important as well. I started with a 5 lb stuffer and quickly upgraded to larger one. Reloading a 5lb stuffer 5 times for a sausage run is a pain.

labs17

FNG
I'm wondering if a meat grinder is 100% necessary. Do any of you forgo the grinder? One of the biggest reasons is I just don't want one more kitchen item to have to store. Between the instapot, dutch over, blender, air fryer, coffeepot, toaster, crock pot waffle maker, etc. the on the counter and cabinet space is pretty limited. I'm sure I'll get one eventually once we remodel our kitchen, but really don't want one right now.

I've got about 40 lbs of elk that my buddy gave me after I helped him pack it off the mountain this year. I'm thinking I can likely slow cook or smoke some pieces and cut up some pieces into smaller slivers and cook for fajitas.

I know I can take it to a processor, but just wondering for those who don't have a meat grinder, how do to process your meat and what are your recipes or methods for cooking it?
I understand what you are saying on space. I started out with the Kitchen Aid attachment which I didn't think was well built. I then got a #12 grinder and it was the best decision I have made. I use it all the time and tripping over it is well worth the hassle for me.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Folks keep saying grinder = burger, but I grind for sausage more than burger. Your meat processing world opens up so much when you start making your own sausage - not just your regular processor "venison links" or summer sausage, but any variety from around the world can be made well with venison cut with either pork or beef fat.

Literally life-changing and you'll get a lot more variety out of your game meat (rather than buying kielbasa, brats, chorizo, whatever from the store)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I feel the same way. Everyone has their tastes, but there are so few butchers that make good tasting sausage or jerky. 95% of butchers out there make the same old bland, salty garbage that is only marginally better than from a gas station. There are butchers out there that have fantastic recipes, but they are few and far between. I would reason a guess that there is one, maybe two honestly good butchers per state.

Or you can just make it yourself. I've made plenty of things that weren't great when I was learning, but none of it was bad. Today I can make jerky and sausage that is right up there with the best of anyone. Plus as you say, you can then make other things that you can't buy like chorizo, pepperoni (honest aged pepperoni), etc.

When it comes to equipment, I took a much more minimalist approach than a lot of people. Growing up we had meat grinder that dad had connected to an electric motor. It is a serious unit, and the gearbox turned it slow, which was actually a good thing. We used that grinder for both grinding, and sausage stuffing. It wasn't until years later that I learned most people don't stuff with a grinder. That rig worked as good as anything I've tried.

When it came time for me to buy my own stuff, I opted for a very similar grinder, a chop-rite, however a slightly smaller #12. I had every intention hooking it to an electric motor, that is until I used it as it was. It turns out a good hand grinder with good blades is perfectly suitable just as it is. The key is that you have them secured, not just C-clamped to a bench. I have mine on a quick attach bracket I made which mates to a large beam in my basement. In January I ground up an elk with it in one go, and it was no challenge at all. I'm just not a fan of chose cheap China electric grinders like LEM. They are ok, but they are not built like a Chop Rite. On average I process at least 2 deer, and almost always something else like a bear, elk, and hopefully this year an antelope. I also grind up a lot of geese. I'd be willing to try a #32 Chop Rite grinder, but I have no intentions of changing mine anytime soon. I use both a 3/8" hole and a 3/16" hole plate.

For my sausage stuffer I went with the American made 5lb from The Sausage Maker. Despite saying it is a 5lb capacity, it easily holds 10 pounds of ground meat, and it seems to me to average closer to 12 pounds before its really full. I usually do two different sausage recipes per animal, and I've never done more than 20 pounds of sausage meat before. This size works just fine for me. I have no complaints about this machine. I have it on the same quick attach bracket setup as my grinder. I use one hand to crank, and the other to feed casing. A child can do it, it's not hard at all.

I do 100% of my game processing start to finish myself with no help. All I use is a buck 110 folding knife to gut and skin and quarter. A Buck open season boning knife to bone and cut up meat. A plastic table to work on, 3 of those Lem plastic bins, a chop-rite meat grinder, a TSM 5lb sausage stuffer, and a jerky cutting board with matching knife. I am also working on building a good smokehouse. Currently I've been smoking in my grill which works great, but the capacity is limited. Thats really the only bottleneck in my system. Those items are all that is needed for steaks/chops, stew meat, roasts, any kind of sausage or brat, any kind of jerky, pretty much anything you can think of. So yes, a meat grinder is necessary, only secondary to knife.

Last edited:
necessary no, but boy is a nice quality meat grinder an awesome tool to have. we eat lots of ground burger for tacos, chili, burgers, spaghetti, etc ... after my steaks and roast are cut out, the rest gets ground.

You can get a grinder attachment for a Kitchen Aide mixer if thats one of the things already taking up counter space. Obviously not as good as a true heavy duty grinder but they work…just takes longer.

God Bless.
Just used the Smokehouse Chef grinder attachment for first time this weekend. Did a great job, and compared side by side with the Kitchenaid brand grinder attachment it makes the Kitchenaid one look like a cheap toy.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider

That's a cheap little #8 grinder. I wouldn't expect it to to much. Who knows whats in it, plastic gears and other nonsense. Just another kitchen gadget people use once and stuff in the back of the cupboard.

If you want a cheap electric, most people are going to say go with the #12 Weston. It's a decent unit that works. It's nothing compared to a better unit, but it should get the job done. https://www.amazon.com/Weston-12-El...locphy=9020516&hvtargid=pla-425617944719&th=1

If you want a rock solid grinder that works great and will last, try the #12 Chop-rite. Bigger wouldn't hurt either. https://www.lehmans.com/product/chop-rite-bolt-down-meat-grinders/