Is a mouth call enough?

I’m gearing up for a few trips for Turkeys this year. Probably NE and home in WY. I’ve gotten pretty darn comfortable with a diaphragm call hunting elk, so the switch to turkeys hasn’t been too hard. If I skip out on a box and slate and just go with a variety of reeds for different volume and tone am I losing out in any specific strategies? I do not plan to utilize decoys.

My mouth call practice routine has been sitting in my folks back porch in S CO when I go to visit and chatting with their resident flock. I get plenty of gobbles and interactions, but those are non-huntable birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Only benefit is using two calls at once. Depending on the situation, I’ll work a slate call and diaphragm at the same time to sound like a group of hens. Also, some folks like box calls for locating because of the volume you can get out of them. All that being said, I do quite a bit of turkey hunting with just diaphragms.

bradb

WKR
YES. Of course above is spot on also. My buddies gives me a lot of shit about carrying a lot of turkey calls and only ever using 2 mouth calls. Often if one mouth call and wanting to sound like more birds I just flip it over in my mouth

OP
Whiskey_Fish
Does anybody make mouth calls with a dome? I love the Phelps AMP calls but haven’t found anything quite similar yet, not sure why that is.

bradb

WKR
Yes there some that make a dome.....dont remember who as I have tried 2, at different times and threw them away instantly. I hate them! But that is why there are options out there

Jimss

WKR
You may want to get a couple different types of diaphragm calls. Some are raspier, etc than others. You can do a lot of different calls with diaphragms. I’ve never used anything but diaphragms even though I have several expensive pot calls. It’s nice having hands free with diaphragms

All you need is a reed. I like to have a slate but the reed is my primary.

Primos sonic dome are my preference.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I found myself throwing 2-3 diaphragm calls in my bino harness, grabbing my gun, and hunting last year when I wanted to run n gun. That's enough calls most of the time. However, when it's windy my box call always seems to carry farther, then it's the diaphragm to finish them.

Yes, diaphragm calls are more than enough.

If you can eventually make the change to a trumpet or wingbone call, I think you will notice a marked difference in how the birds respond. I know I have.

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
Can you guys recommend a good mouth all for a turkey hunting beginner? (life long deer hunter)

bradb

WKR
I like Hooks. For my mouth I prefer smaller tap size of the Hooks or even small frame. Of course you can cut the tape back if you like. Even from the same manufacturer you will probably find some you like better then the others and that might change through the years and as you get better with them

ICU_RN

FNG
While reeds are my go-to turkey call, there have been many times where having a box, slate, glass, etc, made the difference between going home empty handed and punching a tag. Turkeys respond differently to different frequencies. Many times my brother in law and I will call with reeds, then several pot/striker calls made of glass, slate, copper, without a response. Then after a few yelps with a box and a longbeard will gobble out of his feathers and try to run us over. Granted this isn’t always the case but it happens often enough to justify lugging the extra calls in our vests.

j_volt

WKR
Mouth calls are more than enough if you are good with them... Friction calls are typically easier as a beginner, but mouth calls have more potential. I am firm believer that cadence/timing of one good call is significantly more important than carrying 47 calls.

I’d probably at least carry one glass call. Sometimes they’ll answer the glass when they won’t hit the mouth call. Or carry a trumpet if you have one.