Is a Spike Elk a 'Real' bull?

cnelk

WKR
Ive killed a few spikes back in the day, but I never called them, or considered them a 'Bull'.

I called them 'Martians' or 'Dumb Teenagers' :)

They are usually pretty easy to call in and shoot too.
Unlike a 'Real Bull'

Thoughts?

Geewhiz

WKR
lol not sure where your going with this...

Spikes are just "spikes", never called them anything different. In the vast majority of areas that I hunt spikes are not legal so, especially during archery, spikes and raghorns are mostly just annoying when your trying to get in on bigger bulls. They are just overlooked and not given much thought most of the time.

They are most definitely and obviously less experienced and therefore much more curious and willing to commit.

Ucsdryder

WKR
They’re dumb and annoying. Like a little brother. I’ve had more than one encounter messed up by a spike running in ahead of the herd bull. I agree with the 4 point minimums. Spikes are stupid.

Geewhiz

WKR
They’re dumb and annoying...…. Spikes are stupid.

Wow aren't you cool. You must kill only giant bulls each year.

Come on man. You know how many people on this forum would give their left nut just to have an up and personal encounter with a spike? An elk is an elk, they are all beautiful and awesome animals to be in and around. They are not dumb or stupid by any means.

I realize that big old bulls are much wiser in a lot of ways, but lets have a little respect for the animals and the people that work so hard and devote so many resources just to have that one encounter.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Wow aren't you cool. You must kill only giant bulls each year.

Come on man. You know how many people on this forum would give their left nut just to have an up and personal encounter with a spike? An elk is an elk, they are all beautiful and awesome animals to be in and around. They are not dumb or stupid by any means.

I realize that big old bulls are much wiser in a lot of ways, but lets have a little respect for the animals and the people that work so hard and devote so many resources just to have that one encounter.

lol didn’t mean to hurt feelers on here. I love killing rag horns. I can’t help myself. I like to kill shit and never have the self control to pass a fat little 4x4.
Spikes are the dumbest animals in the woods. Tell me what elk comes to ever call it hears. Tell me what elk gets down wind of you and doesn’t bust. Tell me what elk sees you, then stands there staring while you mess around. Tell me what elk spooks then comes right back to a call. The answer is SPIKE!!!!

lol didn’t mean to hurt feelers on here. I love killing rag horns. I can’t help myself. I like to kill shit and never have the self control to pass a fat little 4x4.
Spikes are the dumbest animals in the woods. Tell me what elk comes to ever call it hears. Tell me what elk gets down wind of you and doesn’t bust. Tell me what elk sees you, then stands there staring while you mess around. Tell me what elk spooks then comes right back to a call. The answer is SPIKE!!!!
The answer is the one on the stove that doesn't stink up the whole house and wear out your teeth chewing. What did i win?

You're not wrong tbough👍

Always just call them spike, never a bull. They are annoyingly easy to find unless I’m hunting a place they are legal and then they are nowhere to be found.
I had one come to 5 yds once, closest I’ve been to elk.

Laramie

WKR
A spike is a young bull. All elk deserve respect. Many of you that have negative perspectives of spikes likely hunt areas where they are not legal. I have been shooting elk since the late 80s and I still consider any elk a trophy... Even a spike.

PNWGATOR

WKR
For a kid who grew up in FL in the days before the internet, no hunting tv and no clue how to hunt elk....other than reading what Larry Jones and Dwight Schuh put in books...equipped with a Sceery cow call, a Bear Whitetail II and an AZ 6a archery bull tag...a spike on day five of a thirteen day solo elk hunt WAS certainly a bull to me!

Last edited:

KineKilla

WKR
Here in Utah we have spike only hunts. They're a bigger pain in the ass to find than big bulls.

I've seen some on my trail cameras but rarely ever see them when the hunt starts. In fact, I have never killed one nor been with any one who has. Cows, yes. Spikes likely account for the majority of unfilled elk tags here in UT....well, maybe the any bull tags in those units.

Unicorns is what they actually are in spike only units.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
No , a really horny “ teenage” bull, trying to take advantage of getting his first piece of ass. No different then humans our most any other living thing.

Rob5589

WKR
For a new guy that has no clue what he is doing, that fits right in my wheelhouse 😁

Well I can say I have even more respect for an older bull, and when I'm laying down my no bullshit there i was story I make sure to differentiate if it was a spiker.
But Id never take away from someone that did.
If I met a consistent spike killer it be alot more then alot of people I meet.
I can tell you that when I walked up on mine this year with only 30 lbs left in the freezer and not knowing when the pandemic will end it was probably my most emotional elk.

Gotta remember alot of us didn't grow up with mentors or long enough ago to get multiple practice encounters per day.

Its a long learning curve these days.