Is a Spike Elk a 'Real' bull?

TheTone

WKR
I’ve killed 3 spikes but I can’t say I’ve ever set out to shoot a spike, unless it was all my tag allowed. Two of them were last day situations where I was very happy to have them instead of an empty freezer. I definitely prefer to pass on them and let them get another year but I also really enjoy eating elk. Additionally they are about the perfect size freezer filler

Rob5589

WKR
Took me 4 seasons to kill an elk, and it was a spike; a bull by definition. I honestly feel it is my greatest accomplishment archery hunting wise. I've only killed a handful of animals, so compared to many on here, purely a drop in the bucket. Hunting solo, being in my early 50's, and knowing that I can't do this forever, I'll shoot any elk for as long as I can keep hunting them. If I had a bunch under my belt I may feel different. Maybe.

I never shot a spike. But I shot one old lead cow, one young cow and one calf. Young bulls and old ones. I don’t really think the young elk are any better eating than the older ones. Properly cared for and cooked they were all tender through all of the cuts. I can remember one 5 point bull being tough. And it’s hard to believe but the worst was the calf. Tougher than nails. The most tender was the old lead cow.
i think you would have a tough time finding someone who says "yeah, me too" to this reply, haha.....

ElkNut1

WKR
For those of us that have to fill out a yearly Elk Harvest Report; you may notice it asks if you harvested a Bull or Cow, you can only mark one in an either sex area, there is no box to check if it were a Spike Only! Legally, a Spike is a bull in the authorities eyes, I share that as well.

ElkNut

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
How many of you spike killers got them mounted on the wall?
Like a real bull?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For those of us that have to fill out a yearly Elk Harvest Report; you may notice it asks if you harvested a Bull or Cow, you can only mark one in an either sex area, there is no box to check if it were a Spike Only! Legally, a Spike is a bull in the authorities eyes, I share that as well.

ElkNut
That's very close-minded of them and possibly offensive that they only think there are two gender possibilities for elk. Have the elk been polled to see where they stand on all this? Does mental illness only show up in humans, or could there be bulls out there that really do think they are cows and vice versa? :unsure:

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
Like a real bull?
I wouldn't mount a 6 pt raghorn either. In order for me to spend dollars for a mount, it would have to be impressive, to me. Even then it would be a euro. I just like the looks of them better.

I recall decades ago my Grandfather mounted his very first Colorado elk; a tall spike.

Like a real bull?
When is a bull a “real bull”?

So from reading your other posts you used to shoot the stupid little spikes before your state made it illegal, now you shoot cows and whatever bull is legal.

Strange thread

Hopefully the goal here was to make people laugh.

It worked 😂