is a spot II really the best satellite gps option for sending messages?

sk1

WKR
the reviews on the product and overall customer service are just horrible for the spot gen II.....while I may still go this route I would rather find a better option, is there anything other than a sat phone for emergencies/possibly a text to let the boss back home im still alive?

i think id rather buy the spot than rent a sat phone, but the reviews are atrocious

http://www.rei.com/product/784892/spot-ii-satellite-gps-messenger

anyone else have a better option?

Curtis C

WKR
I currently use the SPOT 2 and had the Delorme/SPOT combo prior to this. Both have worked well for me. I use the track feature so that my family can see my movement while I am away. They get more comfort from that than the check in message. The track feature can be used for rescue/recovery as well if you aren't able to press the SOS button.

I dont think anybody else offers automatic tracking that can be viewed on a PC back home, I could be wrong about that.

Sure there are rare situations(heavy cover either trees or clouds) where a message may not get out but you can retry later. Just like any electronic there is a chance for unit failure.

The main thing is to take the time to setup all your contacts and keep that info updated. Many folks think they hit the button and an ambulance will drive up to get them, don't fall into that group. Its a tool to help increase your odds of survival in bad situation, we still need to rely on our outdoors-man skills to resolve situation. Ultimately it was our choice to go into the deep woods and we need to take responsibility for the outcome.

C

swat8888

WKR
I wish they would come up with something hat would allow sending and receiving texts. SATPHONE is so pricey...I just want to send a short text and receive in case something is going on at home that I need to know.

I am very interested in the spot II. I am also worried about the more than majority of bad reviews it gets on REI.com. The other option is the inreach by delorme and that has got great reviews. I didnt like this option as it was more expensive and the unit is substaintially larger than the spot II. It does however offer two way satallite texting and with the positive reviews may be the route I take.

swat8888

WKR
I like the looks of the delorme, not thrilled about having to buy another gps to get it to work since I have no intent of trying to haul my phone into the bush and try to keep it charged, dry, and in one piece.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
ive never personally owned a delorme, but my friends that i have seen that was supposed to be awesome was a total POS, i think id rather go with the spot2 than anything delorme even though i believe they have the right idea with that system

I have and use the SPOT II to send my wife predetermined texts and GPS coordinates to my locations. She likes it and that works for me.
DSCN0278.jpg

bhtkevin

FNG
I just read some of the reviews on REI and they are a little ridiculous. A lot of them are people complaining about the service fees, sigh (it's quite clear it's not a free service). It works well for what it is. I've used it in Argentina, Costa Rica, Alaska, China, Hawaii, etc... And it's been great. My buddy used it on Kilimanjaro and it didn't work that well (it's listed as not-so-good-coverage in that area). Overall, I've been very happy with it.

bhtkevin

FNG
Also, I want to point out that the Spot II had problem on initial release that have since been fixed.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
good to hear that people here are having success with it, maybe i will go that route then......yes i am aware some of those reviews are more customer service based, but bad customer service sucks also....but i guess for that price buy a new one if you have issues but its better than taking nothing

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
sk1,

Look at the reviews here on Rokslide. I have also used my SPOT2 with great success. I have used it extensively and sent hundreds of messages without a failure, even in poor weather conditions.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
awesome, that's why i love this site.....real reviews. ordering one today to keep the wife happy, and i suppose also for peace of mind for myself ha

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used the SPOT original and II since they first came out. I have never once had a message not go through. I have only used it in lower 48, but it has been a solid piece of equipment for what is designed for.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
I have a friend in S.E. Ak who uses and spot and it will accompany us in S.C. Ak for sheep this month. He just put me on his message list for his goat hunt. Just got a message yesterday of Success!!! smart thing he did since your limited on messages is make the messages two part.
for instance his said "Success!. if you get this message twice I will be out longer than expected but okay."

I believe the web site said that if you have clear view of the sky, you won't have any problems. Just don't try and use it in a cave, crevasse, ect.

slim9300

WKR
I have used the SPOT original and II since they first came out. I have never once had a message not go through. I have only used it in lower 48, but it has been a solid piece of equipment for what is designed for.

Exactly. I have no idea how there are so many poor reviews. I think people are failing to leave the device on and transmitting for the full 15 minutes or until it shows as going through. I also never leave it on and tracking my movements. I just check in every night when I remember. :)

bandit1

FNG
I've got the delorme inreach paired with an iphone that works great and allows 2 way texting with up to 160 characters per text. I have the "safety plan" which is $10/month and gives you 10 texts. Additional texts are around $2 I think. You can also go for a more expensive plan with unlimited texts and tracking. I don't want tracking, I bought this purely as a communication device. I'm also fairly happy with the delorme mapping app that the inreach uses on the iphone. Just another alternative to the sat phone or spot.

bhtkevin

FNG
I've got the delorme inreach paired with an iphone that works great and allows 2 way texting with up to 160 characters per text. I have the "safety plan" which is $10/month and gives you 10 texts. Additional texts are around $2 I think. You can also go for a more expensive plan with unlimited texts and tracking. I don't want tracking, I bought this purely as a communication device. I'm also fairly happy with the delorme mapping app that the inreach uses on the iphone. Just another alternative to the sat phone or spot.

How funny I was just going to post that I did some research on the Delorme Inreach and it looked pretty good. Besides the price, it seems better than spot. 2 way messaging and it uses Iridium, which has better coverage (actually global).

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will be going with the delorme inreach as well, 120$ a year, text messages, also doubles as a gps. Iridium, the pros outweigh the cons by a long shot.