Is a stabilizer really worth it

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Mathews traverse with their lightweight quiver and I have been shooting pretty decent since I bought it last year but I feel like I'm wobbly. Like my circles should be smaller and steadier.

How much benefit would I really gain from them and how big, how much weight? It would be a pretty significant amount of added weight and investment, especially for front and back so im looking for some personal experiences before doing anything.

Mathews traverse
32.5" draw
70lb

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Heck, even an 8-10" 8oz front weight stabilizer really helps. Sometimes I also use my 12" 17oz B-stinger and that thing really deadens the bow at the shot. It makes it hard to miss a shot. I also have a long draw......at 75lbs.......32 7/8" on my current bow.

I like shooting with a stabilizer- it really helps to steady your pins. I shoot a B-Stinger. Yes, it makes the bow heavier, but I want to do everything I can to make the shot count when I get one.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
For me it's worth the weight and investment. I picked up a 10" B-Stinger this summer to replace a shorter one I was using. Definitely has helped me be more steady at full draw and tightened up my groups.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don’t notice any difference. I use one for the dampening benefit only. I’ve been using a B-Sting, but I ain’t crazy about it. I’m looking for a better one now.

peterk123

WKR
15 inches in front with 2 ounces of weight and 6 inch rear stabilizer with 4 ounces. In my yard does it make a huge difference? Probably not. But when my nerves are going because the animal is in my sights.... you betcha.

I really feel it does for me - I use an 8" Flatline with 4oz added up front on my 31.5 VXR

It could be mental but I think it adds 10-15 yards to my effective range

When using a hunting length stabilizer my scores don't change from no stabilizer. Western hunting I'd rather save the weight. Eastern deer hunting I might or might not use one, however I have been setting my bows up to go without.

superjo

FNG
I have a Mathews traverse with their lightweight quiver and I have been shooting pretty decent since I bought it last year but I feel like I'm wobbly. Like my circles should be smaller and steadier.

How much benefit would I really gain from them and how big, how much weight? It would be a pretty significant amount of added weight and investment, especially for front and back so im looking for some personal experiences before doing anything.

Mathews traverse
32.5" draw
70lb
Even though it makes it heavier, stabilizer is something I like

Rob5589

WKR
It will help but, will take some experimenting. For example, I had an Obsession that worked great with a 10" front and 3oz, rear 8" with 4oz. My PSE works great with a front 10" and 1oz, no rear. I use Bee Stinger for both.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I shoot without and have been good doing so. I haven't found a stabilizer yet that I felt really helped. I'm sure one is out there I just haven't found the weight and length combo yet.

How do you define “shooting pretty decent ?” If that’s hitting a pie plate at 20 then no, you don’t need one. I won’t settle for anything less than hitting that pie plate at 100 yds every time so yes, I have a front and rear stabilizer.

This is interesting, I use a 12” front but haven’t really noticed much difference.

Last edited:
OP
Buffinnut

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
How do you define “shooting pretty decent ?” If that’s hitting a pie plate at 20 then no, you don’t need one. I won’t settle for anything less than hitting that pie plate at 100 yds every time so yes, I have a front and rear stabilizer.

When I do my job im doing that at 60 with fixed broadheads. I'm not always that steady though.

theres a lot of choices and it’s tough to do without buying and selling after experimenting AT is a good place to get your hands on them without paying retail same holds true for sights and releases takes patience

I took mine off almost 10 years ago and I definitely don’t miss it. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ No noticeable difference

kcm2

WKR
It may help. I don't know, I can shoot accurately to 100 yds with my bow without one and who the hell wants an extra pound or so added to an already heavy compound bow with quiver and several arrows?

I think it depends on how much you shoot and train. I admit I don’t shoot near as much as I should, so having stabilizers makes it easier to hold steady. If you can accomplish what you want out of your bow, then it is definitely lighter and more compact to not have a stabilizer.

skierhs

WKR
They’re very much worth it if you’re taking longer shots. If you weight it properly then you should see a noticeable improvement. Guys that’s say they never saw a difference likely used the style designed to make things quite and not add much balance. I wouldn’t run anything under 8 inches and 9oz as I am drawing 70lbs. I would drop the weight if I went with a longer bar or more weight if I went with a shorter bar.