Is a stabilizer really worth it

OP
Buffinnut

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone! I ended up with a 15 front and an 8 rear with the adjustable bracket. I feel like it definitely helped. Still tweaking weight but very happy so far. 15" was a non issue in the elk woods

Oseary

FNG
They’re very much worth it if you’re taking longer shots. If you weight it properly then you should see a noticeable improvement. Guys that’s say they never saw a difference likely used the style designed to make things quite and not add much balance. I wouldn’t run anything under 8 inches and 9oz as I am drawing 70lbs. I would drop the weight if I went with a longer bar or more weight if I went with a shorter bar.
What are your thoughts on 10” vs 12” or more?

skierhs

WKR
What are your thoughts on 10” vs 12” or more?
How tall are you and how do you carry your bow? The longer the stabilizer the more likely it is to hit stuff and get stuck on brush. The 12 will allow you to use less weight for the same reward.

Maverick1

WKR
Looks like the OP decided!

Everyone may have a different experience with a stabilizer. Try shooting at long distances with it on and off the bow. See if there is a significant enough of a difference for you to have one.

When I tested it out, I didn’t notice a significant enough of a difference in accuracy or grouping at 40 yards to keep it on my bow.

However - I left in on my bow. I found that having a flexible (not rigid) stabilizer provides one huge benefit: it allows me to put the bow over my left shoulder and walk/hike with my hands off the bow entirely. (Hands free!). The stabilizer flexes a little bit and “squeezes” the bow against my body. Probably specific to the shape of riser and limb configuration of the bow and length / flexibility of the stabilizer, but is sure is a beautiful thing.

While I don’t hike this way for hours on end or over steep/uneven terrain, it is nice to not have to use a bow sling, gives my hands a break from carrying the bow in the mountains, and allows me to stuff my hands in my pockets during the late season or cooler weather.

AkRyan

WKR
Take your quiver of and see if you shoot better. If you do then you absolutely NEED a stabilizer and or a side bar. If your bow doesn't balance in your hand at draw then your are having to correct that using your bow had and that applies torque to the bow witch makes shot inconsistent.