Is a SxS worth having in SW CO?

Bluumoon

WKR
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Honda pioneer 1000-5. Of course it's something I think I'd want, but don't want to burn cash on something that I won't get a ton of use out of.

Pros
-Let me get around the rough roads a lot faster and scout new territory w toddler in tow. My current area takes at least 1.5 hrs to get up the road w out completely destroying my truck.
-Fun camping and cruising the mtns w the family over the summer
- Snow plow in winter, 50 yard drive way
- Better access for hunting if snow on the roads

Cons
- would have to buy a different trailer, have a nice enclosed trailer, but it won't fit through the 72" door
- depreciating resale
-toddler might hate the thing

Well, I hauled one 30+ hours out there to travel the same area if that tells you anything....

Some of those areas I'd just get close to gravel then unload. The speed you can cover ground without worry is nice, but apparently 28 mph on a smooth gravel access road gets you pulled over by a game warden. He threatened a lot of stuff about my speeding, I was going to argue with him about the governor at 30 mph, but quickly started to think about it and just said yes sir.

Here in SW Colorado the width for atv/utv use on any of the trails is 50”.

This is not entirely true. At least not for all access and not the access the OP is considering. Maybe for a trail specifically designated as atv/utv but SW Co is a large area with a lot of back country roads. I have been going for the last few years and ride my 62" wide machine all over. There are many trails/roads that are truck legal but will beat you up and are much easier navigated on a utv. For example the entire Alpine Loop would be much better accessed on a utv and would offer great starting points for hunting in those units.

I should have stated atv/utv specific trails. Forest service roads are fine. However, depending on the county, some county roads do not allow the use of atv/utvs.

jlh42581

WKR
UTV acceptance is getting bigger than ever. We ride 1000+ miles a year. I live on a massive trail system in PA. Im already planning buying my next one. Ill tell you this, once you plow with one the idea of a snowblower is absurd unless you live in town.

Im keeping my current one to hunt/work which is a canam defender hd5 ... yeah the little guy and its never not kept up with the bigger machines. Our next buggy will be the canam maverick sport as we want a 4 seater and after sitting in them all thats the one.

Be prepared for shortages, the dealers here are ordering them and waiting up to 6 months for them to come in. We will order #2 at christmas to have for summer of 2022 unless things turn around. All said and done the new machine will be $28k before taxes. The HD5 I paid 8 and added 2-3k in accessories so you do not have to have a $30k one to hunt.

In the used market id avoid polaris but anything else is pretty good. The kids buy polaris because they make everything known to man for them. My buddies kid bought a new razor and rolled it twice in 500 miles. My other buddy bought a brand new ranger and has not had a problem.

Heres a recent loop

Last edited:
OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
I should have stated atv/utv specific trails. Forest service roads are fine. However, depending on the county, some county roads do not allow the use of atv/utvs.
I'm thinking mostly forrest service roads and maybe some county roads where allowed, figured I need to hike in no matter what. Now if you want to shoot me a pm, or grab a beer here in town and tell me about some spots I can get to with an atv I'm all ears. Kidding aside, I'm down to buy you a beer anytime you are willing to share some elk hunting knowledge, last year was my first go at it in 75/751.

I’ve hunted all over the west and always used ATVs and they’ve saved my trucks from getting beat the hell up. However a side by side is in my eyes a small truck that can haul a lot more stuff and is built to beat the hell out of, which is exactly what you do to a vehicle hunting. I just bought a 2021 Polaris General a few months ago and pretty pumped about not having to destroy my Duramax and being able to toss stuff into the bed. I’d be shocked if you regretted buying one

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Honda pioneer 1000-5. Of course it's something I think I'd want, but don't want to burn cash on something that I won't get a ton of use out of.

Pros
-Let me get around the rough roads a lot faster and scout new territory w toddler in tow. My current area takes at least 1.5 hrs to get up the road w out completely destroying my truck.
-Fun camping and cruising the mtns w the family over the summer
- Snow plow in winter, 50 yard drive way
- Better access for hunting if snow on the roads

Cons
- would have to buy a different trailer, have a nice enclosed trailer, but it won't fit through the 72" door
- depreciating resale
-toddler might hate the thing
Are the P1k5’s as scarce in your area as they are mine? I’ve had one on order for 3 months with no delivery date yet.

wyosteve

WKR
I’ve been waiting to lay eyes on a 2021 Can-Am Commander and there are none available in my area.

11boo

WKR
My Jeep gathers dust since I bought the Yamaha.
you will want a windshield for cold mornings.

the plow is awesome too.

1F330404-EECE-4546-89FF-743F1017377D.jpeg

Attachments

• 80B3844E-43EB-4955-A6EE-F62B4A60E08B.jpeg
    80B3844E-43EB-4955-A6EE-F62B4A60E08B.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 62
God forbid you do bring one here. But if you do, please be responsible and please set a good example for others. Please call in any misbehavior. Misuse is getting really bad.

In my opinion - they are basically wilderness wheel chairs that degrades our back country and roads. Out of Staters don't have to deal with the f'd up ramifications they cause because they can just leave and go home. Not sorry to say what I witness - this as it is the overwhelming attitude and experience we've had here. Including the local sheriff confiscating over 150k worth of SxS because of off trail use. And that's just who he can catch. Oh, and trespassing on federal land is a felony. Pure ignorance.

I do advocate for anyone mobility impaired to access a hunt anyway they can, legally. I just don't want some jackasses ruining that opportunity for them and/or restricting access for anyone. Think of the greater good.

Last edited:

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Asking this on a public forum you will always find locals who will hate it. But there are also locals who’ve don’t want you to hunt “their” animals either.

That being said, if you take one you should look into the laws and abide by them. That also means buying the necessary permit(s) to do so. We took them to WY last year for a Pronghorn hunt and they were invaluable. We’re taking them again this year to NW CO too.

Good luck! And if you keep the ORV’s on the designated roads/trails and you’ll be glad you brought them.

11boo

WKR
Got to plow that one little dump this year. Probably not my best investment buying the plow, but it’s a lot of drive to shovel.

11boo

WKR
God forbid you do bring one here. But if you do, please be responsible and please set a good example for others. Please call in any misbehavior. Misuse is getting really bad.

In my opinion - they are basically wilderness wheel chairs that degrades our back country and roads. Out of Staters don't have to deal with the f'd up ramifications they cause because they can just leave and go home. Not sorry to say what I witness - this as it is the overwhelming attitude and experience we've had here. Including the local sheriff confiscating over 150k worth of SxS because of off trail use. And that's just who he can catch. Oh, and trespassing on federal land is a felony. Pure ignorance.

I do advocate for anyone mobility impaired to access a hunt anyway they can, legally. I just don't want some jackasses ruining that opportunity for them and/or restricting access for anyone. Think of the greater good.
I use mine on the same roads you are driving in your truck or jeep, and park and walk from there. When you see said asshats taking them where they don’t belong you need to be recording the incident with as much detail as possible and forwarding the vid to CPW.

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT LUMPING ME IN WITH THAT TRASH.

tdhanses

WKR
Might be worth it. Plenty of places to ride in SW CO. For hunting it just replaces driving your pickup everywhere, I’m not going to beat up a $60k pickup on Jeep trails. Also don’t drive like your in a race car.

I will say get a front and rear windshield or you’ll be covered in dust, also a front windshield that tilts is key for hot days.

49CF6108-B858-4798-943D-4D9E09F1859B.jpeg6F84326E-35F2-4AD2-875C-CCB120B8D905.jpeg

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR

Plenty of locals do exactly this, my parent live in Pagosa and it is crazy even on forest service roads in popular areas.

All these thing are are a replacement for a jeep, nothing else, asshats that don’t respect anything will do it regardless and they will be locals and non residents.