Is a SxS worth having in SW CO?

manitou1

WKR
We have the Yamaha Wolverine X4 and love it. If I were king, they all would be banned from the mountains... there are only so many mountain ranges and streams.
Regardless, we use ours for those reasons you mentioned above.
Our dogs hate riding in cars, but love the sxs... go figure.
Never saw a kid that didn't like riding in a sxs either.
I have always preferred non-motorized, simple4 forms of travel.
Canoe vs. motor boat, hike vs ride. That being said, I (we) enjoy our sxs more than I thought we ever would.

Poser

WKR
Like BrokenArrow, I’ve had an incredible amount of entirely negative experiences and observations of the SxS (aka the “Texas Wheelchair”) user group in terms of damage, destruction and attitude. I can certainly see the practical aspect of using one to get around FS roads more efficiently, especially considering that the roads are only getting worse and there is no way maintenance will keep up. That being said, I sure would have to get over a lot of shame to actually use one. From a local perspective, I personally do not know one single person who owns one, but I also probably don’t know one single person who doesn’t resent them to the extent equal to the amount of time they spend in the backcountry (though, the rigs with the trailers have a real propensity to park like complete azzholes and obstruct ROW all around town, too).

From my experience, the dirt bike community does a much, much better job of educating their user group and being conscious of other user groups when it comes to trail etiquette, maintenance and public perception. I know non of this has much to do with the original question, but SxS are increasingly a controversial subject matter in the area.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If there is an issue with a SXS it’s not the SXS’s fault, it’s the owner/driver that’s at fault. Just like guns.

If people ride them right, and be respectful of the rules/laws there’s usually not a problem.

11boo

WKR
If there is an issue with a SXS it’s not the SXS’s fault, it’s the owner/driver that’s at fault. Just like guns.

If people ride them right, and be respectful of the rules/laws there’s usually not a problem.
Exactly. I wish I had taken pics of the two month old damage on a lakebed and the surrounding shoreline. Clowns had some mud fest with what appeared to be full size trucks judging by the tracks.
Catch these idiots in ATVs/SxS/trucks/jeeps ripping it up off trail and do the right thing.

Was thinking shotguns clicking on this thread... definitely like seeing that kind of SxS better when I'm out and about!

I can fully understand the purpose of using them on the FS roads here as they can be a junk show. If any of you cats are coming out and want some road info or trail info in 75/751, send me a pm and I’ll tell you what I know.

OP
B

bluumoon

WKR
God forbid you do bring one here. But if you do, please be responsible and please set a good example for others. Please call in any misbehavior. Misuse is getting really bad.

In my opinion - they are basically wilderness wheel chairs that degrades our back country and roads. Out of Staters don't have to deal with the f'd up ramifications they cause because they can just leave and go home. Not sorry to say what I witness - this as it is the overwhelming attitude and experience we've had here. Including the local sheriff confiscating over 150k worth of SxS because of off trail use. And that's just who he can catch. Oh, and trespassing on federal land is a felony. Pure ignorance.

I do advocate for anyone mobility impaired to access a hunt anyway they can, legally. I just don't want some jackasses ruining that opportunity for them and/or restricting access for anyone. Think of the greater good.
I can relate SxS to putting a bad taste in my mouth. Camped off of the Alpine loop last year and listened to them for two days straight, night and day. Beautiful spot, but no way I'd camp there again. Swore I'd never want one.

I'm up for the hikes in, but the drive up the road where I like to take off is at least 1.5 hrs, more like 2 if I'm being nice to my 15 year old truck. I've busted a few things on it already. The thought was to save the truck some wear and get to the trailheads faster.

Alas, not to fear it won't be me adding a SxS to SW CO. I'll be changing jobs in a couple weeks and will have more time than $ so the thought of a SxS is a moot point. Looks like I'll still be in the area though. If you see a middle age white guy with a toddler and two big dogs in tow feel free to point me to the elk.

Last edited: