Is aluminum a good choice for a backpack stove?

I'm gonna build a backpack stove and I'd prefer to use aluminum. All the stoves I have seen are built out of stainless. Why? Is there any specific reason why aluminum would not be a good choice for a backpack stove? Aluminum is much easier to work with but I don't want to build it then find out its inferior. Any thoughts guys? Mike

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Aluminum can't handle the temperature. Ever throw a beer can in a fire ring?

Regards,
Scott

JG358

WKR
My stove glows cherry red when its really cranking, pretty sure the bottom would melt out on an alluminum one.

dotman

WKR
Aluminum would crack quicker I would think in addition to melt. If you want to go light weight use ti.

OP
F
Ok well I can't afford Titanium(I'm a notoriously cheap bastege) so I guess I'll use stainless. Its just more difficult to work than aluminum but it beats the hell out of having the fire fall out the bottom and burn the tent down! Thanks guys! Mike

dotman

WKR
Have you looked on titanium goats web page, they sell the shim stock to make one in both as and ti.

I also saw the replies on bowsite, a to stove will not cost you thousands, ti-goat sells theirs with pipe for around $230 complete, weighs about 1lb less then comparable as backpacking stoves.

Checkout ti-goats website, ti shim stock isn't that expensive and as is dirt cheap.

Last edited: