Is an angle compensator range finder necessary?

Going on first archery elk hunt. I have a decent range finder but does not have an angle compensator. Need to try to save some money but not sure if this is the area to do it or not.

From y’all’s experience, is it a necessity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To play devil's advocate... no it's not absolutely necessary. It helps, but it's not a must.

In the previous 25 vs. 30 example... that's a 33.557 degree angle, which is pretty darn steep. Likely encountered from a tree stand, but you'd have to be making a shot in some nasty country if you're on the ground (say from a cliff down).

The other thing to consider is for archery elk, your range is likely never going to be perfect. You range a bunch of crap trying to guess which way the bull is going to come in and then add/subtract based on that landmark. You're likely off by a yard or two or six anyways.

This is where arrow trajectory starts to play an important role. The 700 grain Ranch Fairy (TM) special is great if you're absolutely sure of yardage and not shooting further than 25.

manitou1

WKR
Thirty degree angles are the norm out here.
I would absolutely get an angle compenating RF if your budget allows... or borrow one.

Thirty degree angles are the norm out here.
I would absolutely get an angle compenating RF if your budget allows... or borrow one.

Does your RF report angle? If so, I'd take it out and see what a "norm" angle is. Alternatively, take a protractor and draw a 30 degree angle on the wall. Then draw your bow and try to get to that angle with your arrow. It's steep!

For reference, the shot at 20:46 in this video is 32 degrees:

I'm not saying that such shots aren't encountered in the mountains, but they're less likely for archery elk than they are for high country mule deer and/or sheep/goat.

Heck, even at 60 yards the cut for a 20 degree shot is 3.5 yards.

Obviously an angle compensated RF helps, but is it absolutely necessary? No. There were people killing bulls well before lasers were invented.

jimh406

WKR
If you bother to carry a rangefinder and have time to use it, might as well have it as accurate as you can. Well, unless you only hunt from the ground on flatland. ;)

Unbridled

FNG
Mine is compensating. I’ve messed around recently with and without compensating at angles 30-33 degrees. 30-40 yard not a big issue, @ 60 it certainly does change things. Hard to wrap my head around a 92 yard line of sight and compensating says 72…. I forget the angle on that shot. Now I’m talking a bow, not sure on a rifle @ 3000’ a second…?

manitou1

WKR
Does your RF report angle? If so, I'd take it out and see what a "norm" angle is. Alternatively, take a protractor and draw a 30 degree angle on the wall. Then draw your bow and try to get to that angle with your arrow. It's steep!

For reference, the shot at 20:46 in this video is 32 degrees:

I'm not saying that such shots aren't encountered in the mountains, but they're less likely for archery elk than they are for high country mule deer and/or sheep/goat.

Heck, even at 60 yards the cut for a 20 degree shot is 3.5 yards.

Obviously an angle compensated RF helps, but is it absolutely necessary? No. There were people killing bulls well before lasers were invented.
Agreed to an extent. I am a self professed mule deer nut and would much more expend my efforts on MD than elk. Mountain mule deer are often found on 30 -35 degree slopes.

Going on first archery elk hunt. I have a decent range finder but does not have an angle compensator. Need to try to save some money but not sure if this is the area to do it or not.

From y’all’s experience, is it a necessity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
how far are you planning on shooting? if i needed to prioritize my money for a hunt, and i had a rangefinder, i wouldn't buy another one for angle compensation if it creates a compromise on some other essential gear like a capable pack or footwear.

before angle comp rangefinders came out, i NEVER once wished for that feature... thought it was cool after the fact, but i wouldn't put much value on angle comp unless shooting far, or maybe really steep country.... it's been a handy feature, but i was plenty content before i got one

i would say glass, pack, footwear, and sleep system are way bigger than another rangefinder with angle comp, considering you already have a rangefinder.

if you aren't trying to follow a tight budget, get one with angle comp, because there is benefit

WCB

WKR
Passed a bull this past fall at "60 yards" line of sight compensated range was 50 yards. So approximately 35degree angle above me. If I would have wanted to shoot him and didn't have angle comp....arrow would have went over his back no doubt.