Is anybody really wearing merino wool days on end?

Poser

WKR
I’ve worn it for 10 days or so. I’m heading out for a multi day bike trip this evening and will wear a Merino t shirt during the day and a light weight long sleeve at night to sleep in since the t shirt will get so sweaty, but if the weather were a bit cooler, I’d just wear one. It’s really not going to stink to you unless you take a shower.

CX5Ranch

WKR
I can wear cotton socks to work and sometimes need to change them at lunch from foot rot. I began wearing good merino socks at 25 bucks a pair and can wear them days on end. I only did that to prove their worth to myself. It really is worth the dough.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WIhunt5

FNG
Glad to hear that the merino wool works great, just picked up a new wool shirt and look forward to trying it out

bsnedeker

WKR
I wore synthetics from Sitka for my first couple of hunts, stunk to high heaven after 2-3 days. I wore my first lite last year 9 days straight on two separate occasions and could hardly smell anything on the shirt...my pants were super funky but the shirt was all good.

I also have found my merino to dry fairly quickly. Not as fast as synthetics, but if I take my pack off and rest it's usually dry within 20-30 minutes.

TheCougar

WKR
I wore mine for 7 days straight of hard hunting before I could smell myself. A quick wash in a bucket got me a few more days. If I wear a synthetic shirt for more than a day, I smell like I’m on day 7 or 8 of wool clothes. Wool doesn’t dry as quickly as synthetics, but I hunt dry areas and it isn’t a concern.

Norm555

WKR
I've done 10 days in a kuiu merino shirt. Definitely nice to get a creek rinse if possible to help freshen it up. Merino isn't perfect, but much better than synthetics in my opinion. The main downsides to merino are that is is more expensive than synthetic and it is less durable.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
Merino and synthetics dont even come close as far as odor retention. I can't run synthetics for more than 1 day without having to switch or wash

Merino and synthetics dont even come close as far as odor retention. I can't run synthetics for more than 1 day without having to switch or wash
I'm the same, synthetics will get funky on me after 1 day. Cotton is still the worst for me and will get funky as soon as I start sweating or even with a little perspiration within hours.

Everyone's body chemistry is a little unique however. I've found Merino to work the best for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
wore mine for 7 straight days in wyoming last october and it got up in the low 50's. didn't smell fresh but didn't need to change it. wear it all the time here in VA for duck hunting and don't wash it all season long.

TripleJ

WKR
I think I just might be a stinky bastard, my merino shirts definitely start getting funky after a couple days. Not near as bad as synthetic, but I am looking to wash it in a creek or something after a couple days of getting sweaty chasing elk.

Last edited:

Zoso5150

WKR
Sitka merino half size has worked great for me. Not "much" smell after 3 days or so. Much better than 100% polyester for sure.

My brother and I wear basically everything wool when we are out. Merino wool is not the best wool for odor protection but its the comfiest. If you hang wool for a day and alternate the smell will be gone. We do this with our socks everyday. Switching back and forth is the key.
Not all wool is equal and each has its use. Merino is nice close to the body but a unwashed wool is going to have far superior odor protection. Soft/Fine alpaca is some of the best for warmth when wet or dry but lacks durability. While a rag wool wont be as warm as a angora or cashmere but its far more durable.
Alpaca is my choice of wool, priced well and pretty high quality easy to wring out dry compared to merino or rag. But you can have Rag alpaca to, there is a lot of variation.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Routinely wear mine 7-8 days, day and night. Just got back from a week in the Nevada desert, went 7 days, didn’t smell great but not terrible. I can’t wear synthetics more than 2 days, they start getting offensive, especially the Sitka ones for some reason.