Is anyone using the Avail on an Xcurve as a primary setup?

dec0y

FNG
I need a new daypack (or 1-nighter) and would love the option to put it on the Xcurve for load hauling capability or use the internal frame for scouting/lighter trips.

Curious how it loads/handles on the Xcurve vs. the internal suspension. I read a few older threads but there wasn't much information.

Ebby

WKR
I'm interested as well. I have an Avail but haven't bought an X-curve yet. I had a Krux frame but sold it a while back. I'm thinking like you that I'd like to try the Avail/X set up.

Lee

Yup thats my set up. I have the avail on the xcurve and i put the minimalist bag inbetween them when i need volume. I take off the shoulder straps and belt, but i leave the frame in the avail to give it some form, otherwise it can be a little sloppy. Ran it this weekend with my fish net in the out shovel flap, pole on the side and tripod on the other side. I keep all my survival/hiking junk on the internal pockets. Use the main bag to fill up with food and a jacket or whatever. If im going longer like a scouting trip for two or more days. I put in the minimalist bag and load that up with clothes and food, tent, sleeping bag and so forth. Once i set up camp and im out walking around its just the avail on the frame. Only thing i would say is that set up will most likely give ya about 5 days depending on your gear.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
It certainly will mount to the frame, I have some pics posted of that on the avail thread. It isn't as clean of a connection as their other bags simply due to the fact it has its own suspension, so the side compression straps on the avail need tucked away, and you use the frame side compression instead. Not too big of a deal given the flexibility you get.

If I understood your question correctly, I'd say the bag won't make a difference on how it carries on the x-curve; all you will feel is the frame. You can move it up and down a bit on the frame, and with the load shelf, whatever you are squeezing can be lowered or elevated some. The bag itself sits below the head cut out between where the top stays come together, so you've got some more freedom compared with the larger bags.

Comparing the two, without the frame, the avail flexes side to side a ton to move with you, and all you can do is use the lifter straps like stabilizers, meaning the bag itself is below your shoulders. Day to day that low profile is nice. On the frame, you know you are wearing it due to the increased stiffness/capacity, and you get a true load lifter profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord