Is Bear Spray Bear Spray?

Weber

FNG
I'm considering picking up Bear Spray to compliment my firearm/behavior/other means of bear attack prevention. I know very little about bear spray. I planned on picking up some cheap cans to practice with but is there some brands I should avoid? Grab? Is there much difference between them?

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
I tried UDAP Pepper Power Bear Deterrent in preparation for a trip where firearms were going to be a hassle. It was a total joke in my opinion. Very limited range and if the bear doesn't come in directly downwind you're only adding some spice to his meal. Choked me when deployed in a slight crosswind. I take a gun when it's feasible but I don't have any interest in carrying pepper spray after testing it.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
If you are planning to take bear spray into the field, I highly recommend buying one of the "training" canisters to practice with. It will help you understand the capabilities of spray pattern and distance. In my opinion It's definitely worth the $15 to know what you are dealing with.

USMC-40

WKR
About the only practical use of bear spray (for me), due to the limited range and swirly winds in mountains, has been to dump a can into a hole by our barn that I saw a timber rattler crawl into. Worked like a damn charm.

standby to purchase my new ‘Rattlesnake Spray’ (re-labeled bear spray for 2x the price)

Attachments

• 3C08F48C-6689-4B06-BBF1-3AF997BDB012.jpeg
    3C08F48C-6689-4B06-BBF1-3AF997BDB012.jpeg
    829.3 KB · Views: 37