Is Cabela’s played out?

selling the small stuff that people get when they wander in and relying on online sales for larger purchase/serious gear

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I tried to buy a Sig P226 there recently and was delayed. Not their fault...I always get delayed. But I found out they don’t release the firearm until they get the go ahead. They called me 30 days later and asked if I wanted to resubmit the paperwork. First and last time I try to buy a gun there. I’m going to stick to my local shops and have them order if they don’t have it in stock.

Mosby

WKR
I ordered ammo from them several weeks ago that still hasn't been delivered. It was in stock when I ordered and immediately put on back order. I also got my new CC in the mail last week and they reduced my rebate on Cabela's purchases from 5% to 2%. Perverbial straw. I haven't been in a store since last year and I stopped using their card and will cancel it after my outstanding order is resolved. It was worth keeping for the 5% and occasional purchase but not now.

If my wife is shopping i’ll go in there just to kill time, no other reason. I just walk around looking at prices saying to myself “are you f-ing serious?” Tons and tons of chinese stuff.

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
I agree. Used to love them both individually, now both seem to have gone downhill since the merger. Cabelas in particular. Online and stores. And yet, I can’t help myself from going into the store any time I am near one. Haha, not sure what that says about me

TheCougar

WKR
They are now dead to me. I ordered “in stock” ammo 7 weeks ago. Every week I get a new “order delayed” email. Epic fail. That’s the last time I buy from them. The third order of ammo, I actually received quickly, but the order was short two boxes and I had to call and get a refund for the missing boxes. What a train wreck they have become!

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Cabelas and Dicks within two miles of my house. Dicks got rid of their firearms and ammo over last summer and Cabelas is hard to take seriously. Basically everything you touch in a Cabelas is 20% more than you can buy it for online.

The last time I went in was with a buddy who was looking for boots. He was between a pair of UAs and Danner. I found both pairs on the company websites that were about $50 cheaper than the price at the store. We went to customer service and had them verify the sales on the company websites were real and they said they will only price match brick and mortar within 50 miles.

I hope they don't go under because it's nice to compare things there before buying them online, but it's hard to take them seriously as a consumer.