Is classic hunting bolt action rifle dead or?

In fact, I've never had one rust anywhere that wasn't due to a lack of care afterwards. My grandfather and father always preached, clean your gun first when you get home, before you do anything else.
You're willing to go through that extra trouble and that's perfectly fine. People with stainless or cerakoted guns can just go for a lot longer without doing that and not suffer consequences. If you're willing to put in the extra effort to maintain a blued/wood rifle and don't mind the tradeoffs then all the more power to you. No one here is saying it won't work at all, simply that they find it a pain in the butt.

RMP

FNG
And that's fine. And actually, I care for my blued gun no differently than I care for a stainless gun. I care for my guns after use whether they are blued or stainless. I never found that wiping down a gun with a pre-oiled cloth, or running a patch down the bore of a blued (or stainless) gun exposed to moisture all that time consuming. I never developed a habit of not caring for a stainless gun less than I would a blued one.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m with you brother! I’m going to say this mostly tongue planted in cheek, so you fan boys don’t get your panties all twisted over this… Every big game hunter should have a classic wood/blued rifle in their arsenal. It will teach you how to properly care for and respect a firearm. It will bring you back and give you appreciation for those that went before us. All good things. But yes, there is admittedly also a practicality element to Cerakote and fiberglass stocks and durability. Synthetic guns have their place. But can we just flat draw the line right there please for Pete’s sake! The current trend of plastic everywhere, loud paint colors, pistol grips, 25x+ bazooka scopes, butt ugly muzzle cans, extended mags and endless gadgets just screams wannabe tacticool dork! Loudly! And oh man, don’t even get me started on the abomination called a chassis rifle! Our hunting grandfathers would be rolling over in their graves at what gets called a hunting rifle these days! So bravo to you my friend for having respect for rifles with soul and carrying on traditions. I wish you great success this fall.

There are other manufacturers still making modern “classics”. Nosler M48 Heritage, Kimber Classic Select or Super America. My old sporterized vz24 gets drug through the soggy western Washington salal and evergreen huckleberry a few times each fall for nostalgia’s sake. I rub the metalwork down with a lightly oiled rag and a little tung oil gets rubbed into the wood before it gets put away.

My go to is a 2000 model year Browning BAR Safari. Not a bolt gun, but a beautiful (in my eyes) wood stocked blued gun. I have hunted rain storms and not taken the best care of it and the next day had to use some engine oil to get the action open because it was rusted shut. That thing still shoots lights out and kills everything you point it at. It has some scratches in the wood but each one is a story I can tell from an adventure. I love that thing!!

I’m with you brother! I’m going to say this mostly tongue planted in cheek, so you fan boys don’t get your panties all twisted over this…
I'm not too invested in this topic so this isn't really about wood stocks and blued guns when I say this. Why is the term "fanboy" so prevalent on this forum that it's lost all meaning? It seems every thread I look in where a debate is happening, someone is just blanket terming everyone who disagrees with them as a fanboy.

SDHNTR

WKR
I'm not too invested in this topic so this isn't really about wood stocks and blued guns when I say this. Why is the term "fanboy" so prevalent on this forum that it's lost all meaning? It seems every thread I look in where a debate is happening, someone is just blanket terming everyone who disagrees with them as a fanboy.
Because there are lots of them here and they get riled up easily. Just try it, drop a post ripping anything tacticool or make any judgement about shooting 1000 yards, and you’ll see. It’s good sport! 😜

I have an old ruger M77 chambered in .270 and I love it! Put on a synthetic stock on it a few years ago, the original wood stock was getting to beat up for my liking. But Ruger still makes the Hawkeye, not very common but I used to work at Dicks Sporting Goods and we had one come through from a special order and I really liked the way it felt. I am also a big weatherby fan, you can get a classic wood stock bolt rifle with the new cartridges they are developing.

My dream gun is a side by side break action in .416 No.2 Rigby. None of those modern bolt action machines for me.

Like a Rising Bite Double. Of course, if I could ever afford one, I'd take care of it by putting it to use in any scrub, moor, or fen that held suitable quarry.

Wags

WKR
I've got a few, they don't get used as often simply because they have sentimental value to me & I don't like adding the wear on them VS my Tikka's. Both wood/synthetic rifles have their places. I definitely prefer my synthetic when its raining, snowing or backpacking simply to protect it. That said I love the look and feel of the 700 in wood.... I'd love to find a lefty someday.

I must be missing something. I've hunted with blued and wood guns for more than 40 years, on clear days and raining days, and never had one rust. In fact, I've never had one rust anywhere that wasn't due to a lack of care afterwards. My grandfather and father always preached, clean your gun first when you get home, before you do anything else. I've done that since I was a child. It's that way I was brought up.

I inherited my grandfather's and father's blued and wood guns that were hunted with hard and none of them came to me with rust. Several had exceptional bluing wear that only added to their character, but none had rust.

It wasn't too long ago that there were next to no stainless steel and plastic guns to buy. It's a wonder that millions of blue and wood guns survived.

Google Inuit Hunters or Inuit Rifles. These folks that live in harsher environments that you and I will ever imagine, hunting walrus and seals in wet, frozen, salt environments, are mostly toting wood and blued guns. Many of them are long-out-of-production guns. And I doubt many of them have been sent off to some boutique for cerakoting.

SS2413211.jpg
Walrus blubber: the new magic gun protection product. But seriously, where do I get a pair of those pants?

Spoonbill

WKR
Is classic hunting bolts action rifle dead or?

I consider classic hunting rifle without detach mag, fancy CF barrel, threaded barrel etc… and only Winchester 70 and Howa as I know still makes that. Or should I accept as classic is what we have now? All suit up super magnum rigs that can stop a tank.
Share your thoughts what classic bolt rifle is?
Ruger has a few in the hawkeye african line. They release limited edition ones in non african calibers, 280 ackley, 6.5x55 and with iron sights. Closest gun I can think of to a classic rifle unless you want to buy a dakota 76.

I’ll play…I don’t think they are dead but there are certainly some innovations that are worth considering.

another key point is how are those “classics” holding up these days? Remington and certain lever gun quality has had ups and downs. I specifically sought out some vintage lever guns when I was buying. My sample of 3 Remington 700s (all less than 10 years old) is mixed at best. My personal sample of 3 late model 870s was a turd parade until i got in and did a lot of parts replacements.

so…I guess I would add to the debate that what a lot of people consider “classic” or even a modern version of a classic may not have held up over the years, sending newer hUnger’s to newer makes and models.

WRM

WKR
My dream gun is a side by side break action in .416 No.2 Rigby. None of those modern bolt action machines for me.

Like a Rising Bite Double. Of course, if I could ever afford one, I'd take care of it by putting it to use in any scrub, moor, or fen that held suitable quarry.

Oddly enough, we have a Westley Richards agent here where I live and I was in the vault with the owner this week. He was getting ready for a F&S shoot, but didn't even have the really good stuff in yet. Still, I was in there with history. Shotguns--all doubles, all classics. Where do you see a Purdy in it's original leather case just lying on a bench? Custom Mauser actioned bolts for African Game. And, of course, the big double rifles. Cartridges with Rigby, Jeffries and Nitro in the description. What a day! Would that I could afford one and the opportunity to use it. His only problem--he can't find enough inventory to feed the specific demands he gets.

Guess it's like snuff films.

Last edited:
Things change. In the 1930’s classic meant you were hunting with grandpas 30-40 Krag. I think stainless, synthetic stock, and a detachable mag are all neat improvements that contribute to usefulness and reliability. I don’t see the need for spending 2-3k for a carbon barrel etc. but I’m not gonna diss anyone who does. This is my current rifle... stainless T3x in 30-06 with a rattle can paint job and a decent leupold scope. My grandson will think it’s a classic. 108609F5-3034-4ECA-9D69-076844569983.jpeg
I still have a soft spot for my 1962 model 700 in 30-06.

Im 58 so a classic to me is a scoped , wood stock .blued metal, trap door mag in Remington 700 ,Winchester model 70 or Ruger M77. I still have rifles like that in the safe but the two rifles I use these days are Weatherproof bolts With stainless metal and quality composite stocks and aftermarket triggers.