Is classic hunting bolt action rifle dead or?

wrightjr

FNG
For most people under 30 I would say it is. I'm 35 and it has been a full circle for me though. I grew up around guys hunting with Brownings, Berettas, Weatherbys, and other pretty wood stocked guns so I accepted it as normal and used them too. As I got older I became conscious of scratching up the "pretty wood", or damaging an heirloom gun so I let them sit in the safe and began to purchase synthetic stocked rifles and tactical set ups. Then earlier this year I started to lust for a new wood stocked deeply blued rifle to use so I picked up a Winchester m 70 Supergrade Maple in 308 since most of my others hold some sentimental value. As for the rust comments, I too was taught to wipe my rifles off with a lightly oiled cloth after trips that were extremely cold or rain. I never understood people who just expect to use rifles in all types of weather conditions and not do any maintenance / upkeep.

coldchow

FNG
i'm older than most here and own both wood/blue and stainless synthetic hunting rifles. i hunted alaska for years using a tang ruger m77 in 270 win. obviously there is still a place for wood/blue rifles but they have been supplanted by synthetic stocks and sometimes stainless metal. it's all good to me. use what you wish and are comfortable with. most hunts i carry a ruger mk2 but i also carry a win model 70 ew on some hunts. the best of both worlds imo. it's great that we have so many choices. grab a gun and hit the field. enjoy.

I’m a young guy, but think I’m going to try hunting with a 1903 Swedish Mauser this year, for me it’s kind of like shooting a compound bow vs traditional. I’ve found that more interesting experiences seem to occur when I limit myself a bit with equipment. Rationality isn’t always the mode for me when it comes to what are truthfully discretionary leisure activities. I’m probably also part of the minority that still likes to use linseed oil on my stocks.

Jraub

FNG
the rifle I grab most often is a custom stocked Model 70 fwt in 280 Rem. but I also hunt with 700 BDLs in 7 and 8 MM mag, as well as one punched out to 7mm Mashburn super, and an old Model 70 with a Lyman reciever sight on it. I just prefer riflkes with a bit of Soul