Is Colorado requiring archery draw next year?

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Not to start rumors... but I heard that Colorado was taking a vote to require next year’s archery season to be draw only and not over the counter... I sure hope not... any body know about this? Thx in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah cause reducing opportunity is a great way to keep hunting alive for generations.
I’m not a resident either but there’s a lot of Western states available to hunt and if Colorado feels the best way to improve quality hunts is to go to a draw I understand. If you have to hunt Colorado every two or three years that sucks but if the quality of Hunt is better and can hunt other states in the off year I think there’s a way to make it manageable. Not only allows hunters to become familiar with other states, animals, and how they act in other parts of the country. I too have young children that I hope to share the woods with someday and it’s apparent every September that something has to give in Colorado IMHO.

I’m not a resident either but there’s a lot of Western states available to hunt and if Colorado feels the best way to improve quality hunts is to go to a draw I understand. If you have to hunt Colorado every two or three years that sucks but if the quality of Hunt is better and can hunt other states in the off year I think there’s a way to make it manageable. Not only allows hunters to become familiar with other states, animals, and how they act in other parts of the country. I too have young children that I hope to share the woods with someday and it’s apparent every September that something has to give in Colorado IMHO.

If they do it then other states will get flooded then thay will have to do it as well.
It will just keep going, point creep increasing, and less and less tags.
Otc with caps, or zones to spread pressure is one thing.
But draws are a slippery slope.
Trust me I'll only have like 2 decent deer tags and 4 Elk in my home state in my entire life.

ckleeves

WKR
Man I hope not. Look at how the deer draw ruined Colorado deer hunting lol.

Before it guys had the chance to shoot a forky every year. Now they can get a decent tag every other (or every year depending on unit and season) and have the opportunity to hunt mature deer.

It does take some serious planning though you have to spend 15 minutes on the computer filling out apps in April rather then picking up a tag at the wal mart.

ckleeves

WKR

Before it guys had the chance to shoot a forky every year. Now they can get a decent tag every other (or every year depending on unit and season) and have the opportunity to hunt mature deer.

It does take some serious planning though you have to spend 15 minutes on the computer filling out apps in April rather then picking up a tag at the wal mart.

ckleeves

WKR

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You’re describing Missouri to a T right there
Missouri is probably the single state that doesn't bow to the money since they are completely funded by state tax money. Social pressure is totally different, if you don't like how they run things get involved and make your voice heard.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I agree. Its amazing how many people are impacted and dissuaded by a 10 minute application process a couple of months in advance. While I do understand that point creep is a real thing (I will never ever draw a premium tag in CO) and is a very slippery slope, I also understand that overcrowding (in CO specifically) is totally nuts. I think that there is a way to do it, maybe more like Idaho, where you can appease both the OTC opportunities without smashing the woods.

The last thing I want to do is take my kids to CO so that they can walk around with 40 of their best friends all day. I would way rather be in favor of drawing a tag simply for the fact of having a few less people. It just makes hunting more fun. If you plan your western states right, you have a decent idea of what states you will draw and when. Putting CO on a draw would honestly make me only look at the state more seriously. Its the last place I would go to hunt OTC after a couple of elk "experiences" in the last 10 years.

You almost have to be a college grad to decipher all that stuff. I said almost. I did get a HS education at least. Of course staying in a Holiday Inn Express may actually do some good the night before applying ;)

I have a G.E.D. and I’ve been able to figure out how to put in for multiple western states. It can be done.

It's not about figuring out how to put in.
Its about actually being able to get a tag.

When your waiting 10 yrs for a mediocre tag you'll wish for otc. But once they've sold people points there no going back.

It's not about figuring out how to put in.
Its about actually being able to get a tag.

When your waiting 10 yrs for a mediocre tag you'll wish for otc. But once they've sold people points there no going back.

I agree...however I feel like there can be a compromise. Why not cap the OTC tags? Some of the CO units are insane these days.