Is connecting through Toronto to Edmonton Okay (Delta)

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I'm booking my airfare for next year. I can connect through Minneapolis or Toronto. Toronto is several hundred cheaper. Can anyone give me some guidance on this?

I flew though Toronto to Edmonton for a hunt last year. Be prepared for ALL of your checked baggage to come out in Toronto. (Not just your firearm as you might be told by an airport worker). It will all come out at the same place as the firearm, not at the regular carousels. Get a cart, take all of your luggage to the customs line. Once you get through there, you will have to recheck everything, and go through security again. I would allow at least 3 hours for the connection.

If you are heading to Norman Wells the next day and need to stay overnight in Edmonton, I also highly recommend you stay in the Renaissance Edmonton Airport hotel. You can wheel your luggage from the baggage claim, using the baggage claim cart, all the way to your bedroom. Keep the cart in your room overnight so you can roll out the next morning. On the way back from your hunt, they will put your coolers in the hotel restaurant freezer overnight.

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
Any time I travel to Canada, I want to go through customs at the last stop, not a connection. As Doc Holliday states, it can be a huge pain. I have even been pulled aside a couple times, though not in Toronto, for further questions. Granted, that was usually because I was going there for work and Canada can be a bit defensive about people coming into their country for work.

Anyway, go through MSP if you can. I guess it depends on how much your time is worth (several hundred dollars for several hours of your time) and if the connection even allows you enough time to get this done.

OP
ericthered

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Any time I travel to Canada, I want to go through customs at the last stop, not a connection. As Doc Holliday states, it can be a huge pain. I have even been pulled aside a couple times, though not in Toronto, for further questions. Granted, that was usually because I was going there for work and Canada can be a bit defensive about people coming into their country for work.

Anyway, go through MSP if you can. I guess it depends on how much your time is worth (several hundred dollars for several hours of your time) and if the connection even allows you enough time to get this done.

Took your advise, just booked through MSP. Used miles instead of cash to keep the cost reasonable. Thanks for the help.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I was just speaking with my outfitter this weekend and I mentioned flying into Toronto from the US east coast and then Edmonton for a future hunt. He advised highly against that, saying that Toronto is not a hunter friendly International airport and suggested flying to Denver or some other US airport and getting a flight into Edmonton....stating that Edmonton is a much more hunter friendly International airport. Maybe this information will be useful to some

AVOID TORONTO!!! I cannot say that loud enough. Keep in mind that it is the major of hub for all visitors into the country. The line of people immigrating into the country from far away was staggering, but also in the same line that you are standing in to check into customs and clear your firearm. I would avoid it in the worst way. An additional $500 on a sheep hunt is a drop in the bucket for peace of mind and ease of travel. Do not second guess yourself on this. You will be glad that you did.

tdot

WKR

You should try going into the US for work. Defensive I could deal with, the US border is an absolute nightmare to go thru.

tdot

WKR
We just had a new government elected into Canada. They are anti gun. Our rules might be changing up here. I would avoid Toronto if I could. Edmonton is a much more chill airport to fly into then TO

DennisT

FNG
I have heard some really bad things about flying through Toronto as well, and I was warned not to use it for any connecting flights. I used MSP for my trip to Canada this year, and there were no problems at all. I agree with Doc Holiday, the Renaissance Edmonton Airport hotel is a great choice. It's pretty nice, convenient, and the rates are fairly reasonable. It really isn't worth trying to save a few dollars to get a hotel in town. A lot of hunters go through Edmonton, so they are use to dealing with them and they make it relatively easy. I can't say the same for Calgary. It may not be as bad as Toronto, but it can't be a whole lot better. Have a great trip!

I connected through Toronto. Very easy, and worked perfectly. American Airlines into Toronto. Collected all my baggage in terminal 3. Went thought Canadian Customs. Paid the $25C rifle fee. Took an hour. No biggie.

Now I'm walking from Terminal 3, to Terminal 1 where Air Canada is. carrying my rifle case, & luggage. No problems at all. Took the tram, luggage & rifle in tow. No one cared. no one looked at me funny. Checked into Air Canada, terminal 1, made the firearm declaration. and it worked out perfectly.

Coming home, not so easy. US customs is a royal pita. They are in no hurry...

Trial153

WKR
For every good experience using the Toronto connection there are three bad ones. Avoid it at all cost if possible.