Is Global Entry worth it carrying a firearm?

tntrker

WKR
I have a hunt next year where I'll be leaving/entering the US through Toronto airport. With the nightmares I've read on here about planning 3 hrs between layovers in Toronto, I was curious if having the Global Entry or TSA Pre, at the minimum, does any good with customs times or does the firearm check in void the "fast track"? Google can't tell me anything..Thanks!!

TXCO

WKR
I have both and think theyre crucial. Global Entry gets you through customs faster. TSA precheck gets you through security faster. Both are even more important if youre trying to make a connection and spend more time due to a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I dont know if they help. However if your going to get global entry you better start like today. My interview was scheduled for march covid shitshow. now i go wednesday.

Your 4457 form is going to be much more important.

7Bartman

WKR
I have both and Global Entry definitely gets you through customs much faster. That being said, I've never traveled internationally with a firearm. I have TSA precheck, but here in the states you still have to hand check the firearm.

FYI, there are numerous credit cards that offer Global Entry as a perk with signup.

ZDR

WKR
I have TSA Pre and used Mobile passport for the last few years and I usually get through customs as fast or faster than the folks with Global. I was taking ~20-15 trips/year internationally and mobile passport was the best thing ever.
Unfortunately I dont have any experience flying with firearms.

JNDEER

WKR
For a one time trip mobil passport and TSA pre check make the most sense. I am not 100% on the availabilty of mobil lines for the pre cleared canada flights. Having global won't get your gun checked any faster. You should always have a good amount of time between connections to avoid missing a flight. With covid flights are small and wait times are small.

if you do get global, tsa pre check is included in that.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
As long as it can get a person "diverted" to the shorter line at Customs, that is what matters to me, and the extra perk of leaving boots on at security is golden as well. I just wasn't aware if having a firearm as an extra precaution would negate the shorter line option. I understand the added time due to the firearm, but being able to hit the shorter line offered with Global is what I was hoping for. I'd still plan ahead for connecting flights, but I would rather get through the line and sit a few hours than to be stuck in a line worrying a few hours if I'm going to make the connecting flight.. Also, there is no "interview" site within 2 hrs of me. Anyone done the interview "on the go", or is it worth it to take the time and drive to a site beforehand? Thanks again!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
As long as it can get a person "diverted" to the shorter line at Customs, that is what matters to me, and the extra perk of leaving boots on at security is golden as well. I just wasn't aware if having a firearm as an extra precaution would negate the shorter line option. I understand the added time due to the firearm, but being able to hit the shorter line offered with Global is what I was hoping for. I'd still plan ahead for connecting flights, but I would rather get through the line and sit a few hours than to be stuck in a line worrying a few hours if I'm going to make the connecting flight.. Also, there is no "interview" site within 2 hrs of me. Anyone done the interview "on the go", or is it worth it to take the time and drive to a site beforehand? Thanks again!

On our trip back from argentina I tried to do my interview in houston last year. I was through customs at 630am and they told me nobody would be able to do my onsite interview until 9am. I decided not to wait and just planned on my interview in march 2020. Well everyone knows how march 2020 turned out. I now wish I would have waited.

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
YES, it’s very much worthwhile, with or without a fireram. I travel internationally all the time, very often with firearms and life is much easier with GE. As some have mentioned, interview times for approval can be tough to book at major airports, however I’ve found that the smaller tier 2 satellite-type airports will often have zero wait times and much more competent staff. Additionally, do all you can to establish status with your airline of choice.....credit card, frequent flyer miles etc. I’m Diamond with Delta and it’s literally like a different travel experience vs no-status flying. The status will payoff huge when something goes wrong and you need to rebook, reroute, find luggage etc. Go ahead and get TSA pre-check and CLEAR while you’re at it. They have all been great to have on various trips.