Is he a 30"er?

VANDAL

WKR
What do you guys think...is this buck over 30" wide?

Also, what do you think it will score?

I think he's just under 30"s and would likely score in the low 170's. I scouted this buck up in a general season unit in Idaho. He's temping and I might try to get him with my bow in a few weeks.

00030_Capture_2.jpg
00030_Capture_4.jpg
PIC_0018.jpg

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't think he is quite 30, but a wide deer none the less. I would put him close to 160, mostly because of the weak front forks.

yes. he's 30" . not a huge body but if the ears are 23". as a rule I use the nose as 3" wide. looks to be over a nose width on his rt.My guess 165-170. Just put him down. hes a good looking buck. especially with a bow.In my opinion total score is overrated when a bucks looks like that one. good luck.

velvetfvr

WKR
That's what I want when I head out with my pse Friday. And I want that buck to be the stand for it!

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I bet he's right at 30" and mid 160s... Good luck! Wish I had one like that spotted! 8)

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
He's 30, and better than 175" gross (nets are for fish) :)

"tempting"? I'd be surprised if you find a better one and he likely will not stay in that open country for rifle season. Archery might be your only good chance at him.

When is the last time you found a buck that wide?

Great job finding a buck like that!

Last edited:
Nice buck!

What is the likelyhood of you being able to find him again when the season opens in a few weeks? Have you seen him on more than one occassion? I think that if you can keep tabs on him over the next two weeks, you'd have a great chance at him with the bow. But on the other hand, if you just show up out there opening day and expect to locate him again, I'd say good luck! Either way, for a general season deer in Idaho, that buck is about as good as you can expect! I'd go after him in a heartbeat!

Best of luck! Tell us more! I wish I could hunt the early season, but I will have to find my buck in the late hunts come Nov and Dec.

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
Honestly thats probably the widest main-frame buck I've found around here. I've seen a few wider but thats counting outside spread with stickers.

You guys are exactly right, something spooked this buck so he was crossing an open ridge but where he lives has some dark timber and thick brush. I think in a month or so he'll be timbered up so my best chance will probably be with a bow. I'm also sure this area gets a fair amount of rifle hunting pressure. I might go back up there this week so I'll keep ya posted.

mtmiller

WKR
Not sure if he will go 30". He does remind me of a buck I took quite a few years ago. Crappy pont and shoot film, but best I can come up with.

MTarcherybuckalive.jpg

IIRC, he was 28.5" and 169" or 170" gross.

MTarcherybuck.jpg

That buck will go 30" outside all day long... Atleast thats my opinion but ya'll know what those are like! ;) Good luck putting him on the ground, that is a great looking deer for sure!

Mike

I think he is awesome. Worrying about score on a buck like that does not do him justice.I am with robby, nets are for fish. It is all about gross score and character when it comes to a bruiser muley.

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
I went back up there this morning to try and find the buck again and learn his habits...unfortunately I didn't see him. I did see 6 bucks but nothing special.

I'm working on my video editing capabilities and plan to post future scouting trips and the hunt of this buck