Is he too young?

Since Idaho is only OIL if you actually harvest a sheep and not for drawing the tag I say go for it, he's got nothing to lose. Odds are, he'll be lucky to draw one tag in his lifetime so give that boy a head start!

Zimm21

FNG
My 9 year old recently passed hunter ed, he will turn 10 in October and be able to hunt big game here in Idaho. There are a few sheep hunts that open after his birthday that he would be eligible for. He has been in the woods hiking/backpacking/hunting with me from the time he could walk. All he wants is for me to put him in for sheep, should I do it or is he just too young?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If he draws a once in a lifetime tag at age 10 then I’d say it is meant to be. Every years he doesn’t have a ticket in the hat is a year he could be missing his opportunity

DanM

FNG
I wish my Dad had done that for me....If you trust him behind the trigger, then why not? All the best....

Do it! I've put in for 45 years in a row for sheep and never drawn. If he draws have a great time and enjoy the hunt. If he gets a sheep it's just that much better.

Absolutely put in for him! You should start as early as you can in my opinion. I’ve been putting my son in for tags since he was 10 years old and he’s been very lucky over the years. Here are a few pictures from a few of the draw tags he's scored in his early years.
e68fd421ba1ca122d7e86d1f88f3d429.jpg

7f6d647f9f7a297a8ebb567a8122f576.jpg

118bc67c4d980b4d102ba8b080ea05c6.jpg

Last edited:
Another vote for do it!!
my kids are 10 -11 and we are making similar decisions regarding our hunts for 2024, I am just a guide at this point. I help them understand draw odds and opportunities, but ultimately, I want them to pick the hunts they want to do. I worked w my kids all summer at the range and both felt comfortable out to 2-300 yds. My daughter wound up shooting a great buck past her comfort zone @ 430 yds, and you could literally watch her self-confidence go up ten notches throughout the day. I did all the logistical side of equipment and planning, and she just showed up and showed me she was more than ready!

Yes OP. My son drew a John Day Cali tag last year and killed a nice one at age 14. It is cheap as hell to apply for them so apply as soon as you feel comfortable they are can go on a hunt.

OP
Andrew12gauge
Yes OP. My son drew a John Day Cali tag last year and killed a nice one at age 14. It is cheap as hell to apply for them so apply as soon as you feel comfortable they are can go on a hunt.

His is actually more expensive than my sheep application, no junior pricing for applications and he isn’t price locked to pre 2018 prices like I am. It’s awesome that your son got a tag, let’s see some pics of that ram.

2ski

WKR
I have no kids but spent all last week teaching hunter ed to kids 10 to 16.

I say no. I think some parents tend to over estimate their kids abilities. And what I saw I wouldn't want to see go on a super demanding hunt. I honestly would say get some easier hunts under his belt. Rev up the juices. I would hope if you go, you're carrying the gun. Also say where a long physically exerting hike would be tough for a kid that young to have great muzzle control as they get tired. Which wouldn't take too long.

But only you can decide. In your gut you'll know if this is truly him able to or you wanting something for him he's not quite ready for.

xsn10s

WKR
Only you can determine if he's ready for it or not. But it sounds like he already has a lot of hunting/ outdoors experience. It also sounds like he's been putting in the work towards a hunt. If his firearms safety skills are up to snuff, if he's willing to go scout for game, and if YOU feel he is up to it then I'd say go for it.