Is high-end rain gear worth the $$$?

Gumbo

WKR
I have really liked my Sitka Dewpoint set when I've used it, and when I haven't used it. It has kept me dry in squalls when I've needed it and it is really light and packable so I actually bring it with me. But I wouldn't want it for serious raingear in truly wet areas or in really nasty brush and thorns.

Jamo

FNG
After buying the high-end stuff I would say, IMO, yes it is worth it simply due to the fact of the durability and warranty (lifetime). Have had several "lighter weight" cheaper sets (FroggToggs, Cabelas Space Rain, Onyx, Red Ledge), and the condition I hunt in typically has me in brushy areas and they would never hold up. The last thing I personally want to skimp on is my rain gear now after having cheaper stuff fail in conditions you do not want to be wet in!

First higher end rain gear I purchased was the First Lite Boundary Stormtight which I thought was a perfect mix of not so heavy, but heavy enough to be durable. Had no issues with this jacket. Was pretty tough, had pit zips which IMO are a must, and seemed to do well in extended rains.

Currently running the Sixsite Blackfoot coat. Awesome coat. A little more heavy duty, pit zips, breathes well (for a rain coat) and has a no questions asked warranty! This coat seems to be bombproof as I've climbed trees and busted a lot of brush with it. I also use it as a shell in the winter time paired with the San Juan and love it.

Anyway, rain gear is one of those items I've decided I won't skimp on and I am willing to pack the extra few ounces for a little better protection. Plus, it doubles as an excellent winter shell. But that's all preference on what your intended use is and what the chances of extreme weather are I suppose.

Jimss

WKR
I have a couple sets of Sitka raingear that have taken a lot of abuse in Alaska, Wyo, Colo, and elsewhere. I also have a couple sets of Marmot Precip. The Marmot are a fraction of the price...especially from Sierra Trading and tend to be just about as good as my high dollar Sitka. In fact, I usually get the Marmots for around $50 each with a discount code....that's pretty tough to beat for the price.

Make sure the rain jacket you get has pitzips or you will get wet from the inside...out!

Soolong

FNG
I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as great rain gear. I own several high end and low end rain suits. When I waterfowl hunt I wear waders and it never fails I still get wet. When it rains it doesn't matter what i am hunting I have just come to the conclusion I will be wet so I adjust my base layers for moister management. Between sweating internaly, going over the top of my waders or rain wear that fails I don't trust any of it. When I no it's going to be wet I put away the Merino and I switch to quick drying grid fleece base layers that I can ring out and dry quickly. It works for me but not every one. All rain suits seem to work for a while if you are sitting still and the rain is coming straight down but eventually rain will get you. How I manage when I get wet is the key for me. I am not saying I don't wear rain wear I just don't completely depend on it. My favorite rain jacket is the First Lite SEAK. My favorite pants are some Cabela's Gortex bibs. My favorite light weight rain gear is first lite vapor top and bottom but not if I am going to be brush busting at all.
Is high rain gear worth it? Yes but don't expect to keep you 100% dry all the time. 👍

I hunt coastal Washington and have been wearing a Patagonia torrentshell jacket. I got a lot of use out of it last year and we’ll see how long it lasts. I think it’s 130 dollars or so. Not to say it’s as good as a piece of Sitka or anything like that but it’s kept me dry in a place I would guess gets a bit more rainfall than NM.

I’ve been looking at swazi rifle man pants and might switch to them this year if I can pull the trigger. I have some really light weight kuiu bottoms that they discontinued a year or two ago. I like them, but I get wet on my ankles and shins. Most likely because I don’t really wear gaiters.

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Been using cheaper rain gear for years and hated it. It was like wearing a trash bag in the woods. Recently bought the Sitka thunderhead and the fit and quietness of it is awesome, to me being comfortable in your rain gear is a huge plus

madcalfe

WKR
I think it all depends on what and where your hunting. im in northern British Columbia and it gets wet and muddy in September-October. my outer layer is a rain jacket all year and if the temps drops i use a puffy under it.
i use the kuiu yukon. a little heavy for aug but blocks the wind if im mountain hunting. i will say the kuiu yukon gear does take a bit to dry our compared to sitka though.

tdot

WKR
Waterproof and breathable don't really mix well together. Understanding the gears limitations and matching them to your expectations is more important then just buying high end gear.

Goretex, etc are all essentially garbage bags with tiny holes in them. They will breath, but not usually at a rate that will match high exertion levels. Thats were the little extras like pit zips and other venting systems come into play.

Are you going to be active during the rain or just sitting out the rain? This is also where better hoods and collars and a cut that matches your body type is also important.

If you're on a spot and stalk style hunt, then quite fabric is important. Colour or camo is one thing, but most non-hunting specific outdoor gear is LOUD!!! This one issue rendered all of my Arcteryx, Mountain Hardwear and other Ski/Mountaineering gear 100% useless for me. The last hunt with my Arcteryx, I ended up stripping all my rain gear off and just got soaked, but I was being deafened by the fabric noise.

I ended up with the Kuiu Yukon, and to be honest, i prefer it over any of my top end gear. I even skiied in it for awhile, until one backcountry trip my buddies repeatedly could not see me in the trees and I decided it was too much of a liability.

Hey everyone. Live in southern BC. Looking at getting a set of jacket and pants that are water proof that I can wear throughout the hunting season. Any suggestions. Thanks

madcalfe

WKR
Hey everyone. Live in southern BC. Looking at getting a set of jacket and pants that are water proof that I can wear throughout the hunting season. Any suggestions. Thanks
I live in northern BC and use kuiu yukon all year. the Kutana line would probably be good as well for all year.