Is it acceptable to use trail cameras on public land?

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
This year will be my first year hunting public land - I've only ever done private. Is it OK to put trail cams out there, or is that a no no?

I read the handbook for my area and the only "rules" are basically not to leave treestands overnight. Are there any other public land "best practices" or "unspoken rules" I should know about?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RoJo

WKR
People do it all the time here in AZ. I have heard a few people claim that the Forest Service will confiscate them as "abandoned property", but that has never happened to me or anyone I know.

Go for it but beware there will be more people out on the property than a private property will typically have, meaning higher chance of cam being stolen. Take precautions put name and number on them or something in case they try and sell them at the pawn shop or something

def90

WKR
Legal in colorado as long as they are not the type that transmits a live stream to another location.

BBob

WKR
People do it all the time here in AZ. I have heard a few people claim that the Forest Service will confiscate them as "abandoned property", but that has never happened to me or anyone I know.

Basically what happened in the beginning when people started stealing each other’s stuff regularly, AZGFD and the USFS got tired of hearing the bitching about it so the USFS drug up an old rule and released a memo stating if you leave your stuff out it’s abandoned property which effectively said if it gets stolen it’s on you and they don’t want to hear about it. People have now misconstrued that to say the USFS will come take your stuff if you leave it out.

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I wish PA had the law of no leaving tree stands overnight on public. You are supposed to take them down after the season but that doesn’t happen and it’s not enforced.

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
As long as your state regs says it okay or doesn’t say anything about it then it’s legal. Some states will give some a time amount for certain things like stand or baiting. For instance no baiting during season But you can after until 10 days before season. Or it’ll say can’t put metal pegs in trees only ratchet strap. My only concern for trail cams is people stealing them. Some guys will put up two cams to catch a thief. I don’t use trail cams unless I know I’m the only person out there. I had one stolen once. Now I use lock boxes on them.

Giddy

FNG
Yeah they are legal to put up in CA on public but there is a great chance of them disappearing.

WCB

WKR
First check if it is legal...second don't be surprised if it is gone when you go to check it.

I find it laughable when I see people out west that are setting up trail cams over a waterhole with like 10 other cams set up on it...wtf?

BluMtn

WKR
I have been scouting in some deep holes that makes you wonder if you really want to make the walk and when you get there and look around there is a camera strapped to a tree. several times I could have taken the whole thing or a least the card, instead if I see it soon enough I go around the back side of it or if I am in front of it I wave and continue on.

Laramie

WKR
First check if it is legal...second don't be surprised if it is gone when you go to check it.

I find it laughable when I see people out west that are setting up trail cams over a waterhole with like 10 other cams set up on it...wtf?
Had that happen to us a couple times last year. Went to check our camera and someone else had put one up 10' away. It's actually fairly common on the wallows that can be viewed on google earth.

Check your state to make sure you can use them during hunting season.

I'm not a fan of them once season starts.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
I wish PA had the law of no leaving tree stands overnight on public. You are supposed to take them down after the season but that doesn’t happen and it’s not enforced.

Eh I don't mind. Shows me where not to hunt.

They are all over Elk country tanks in Arizona. Oftentimes multiple per tank.

Regardless of the legality, I think it’s a weak way to hunt.