Is it acceptable to use trail cameras on public land?

They are all over Elk country tanks in Arizona. Oftentimes multiple per tank.

Regardless of the legality, I think it’s a weak way to hunt.

How is it a weak way to hunt? If using a trail camera to see what's out there or see if a particular location is good or not, then using a 21st century bow capable of killing big game at 75 yards is weak as well as using a rifle from a few hundred yards, and probably even using that new lightweight gear that allows a person to go 3 miles deeper.

How is it a weak way to hunt? If using a trail camera to see what's out there or see if a particular location is good or not, then using a 21st century bow capable of killing big game at 75 yards is weak as well as using a rifle from a few hundred yards, and probably even using that new lightweight gear that allows a person to go 3 miles deeper.

If they are legal, by all means use it.

On a public land hunt, they oughta come with a handicap sticker tho.

I wish PA had the law of no leaving tree stands overnight on public. You are supposed to take them down after the season but that doesn’t happen and it’s not enforced.
Depends on the forest district and the ranger. Some rangers will gladly remove them. I've turned several in that have been removed.

All my cams are on public land and the only issue I ever had was a bear that decided to destroy one. The more cams I place the better I’ve become at finding others cams.

I pulled two yesterday from an area I’m not hunting this year. Got this dude checking my SIM card. I only use lithium batteries that should have been dead or dying but it had 8 new alkaline batteries in it. Fair trade dude! Well played :)

a380a06e908b554592884895a4fe337d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pybucks

FNG
Checking two on MI state land in the morning, both on mock scrapes, Hopefully they're still there.

They're legal in Utah, definitely lock them up or they could disappear. I've had friends who've had theirs stolen but I've also seen guys looking right into mine before without touching them. Just some advice, make sure there aren't any branches or leaves in front of the trigger, the first one I put out had over 1000 pictures of leaves in the wind. :)

I’ve ran into cameras out in National Forest scouting for elk out in CO. As long as it’s not a designated wilderness area or specifically stated it’s not allowed should be fine. I’d lock them up tho as you never know who’s going to run into them, maybe try and hide them as well so they’re not easily visible if someone happens to walk by.

mtn

FNG
At a minimum, this is going to vary per agency, but probably more specifically, per National Forest, per BLM District, State, etc. Technically, it is illegal without a special use permit on at least two SoCal forests. Nobody cares enough to enforce it at this point, but yeah, your camera could be seized by LE if they manage to find it before your neighborhood poacher steals it.

It can also be a violation for the kid living down the street to take your family photos for you (in exchange for money, goods, etc.) on NFS lands without a special use permit, as that would constitute a commercial operation. Good luck finding someone with enforcement authority who wants to spend time hassling someone for that, though. At least around here, the LEOs are far too busy to worry about this kinda stuff.