Is it legal to shoot a deer that got hit by a car ?

fatlander

WKR
Legal and right don’t always match up. I know what I’d do, and I’d sleep fine at night even I were ticketed for my actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aviator04

FNG
Matrix of state, where it happens in that state, and level of common sense available and exercised by LEO and potential on Lookers.

I agree, since if it’s on the highway in Texas you call the cops, or game warden on the county roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I noticed a doe head up in the ditch after bird hunting one morning. The poor thing was covered in snow from the night but couldn't move. In fact, it was across the fence. In MT it is against the law to shoot as there is no distinction from hunting but that doesn't make it right to leave it suffering. No reason to bother leo's on a snowy morning out in the sticks.
Btw, my buddy who is an leo has some pretty bad stories about having to put them down, and not all officers are hunters which can add to an already-messy situation. Might be fortunate when a responsible hunter can deal with such issues.

Tgun46

FNG
I agree with what’s ethical rather than legal most of the time. If it were in city limits or in a populated area I’d probably call the authorities first just to CYA. My family was traveling to see my parents a few winters ago, on a county road in CO. A doe had just been hit and was dragging herself off the road into the ditch. I didn’t think twice and ended her suffering. I did feel bad as I couldn’t take any meat with a vehicle full of kids and all our stuff. Was late at night on a weekend, called cpw and left a message of the deer and it’s location. Don’t think they ever did anything with it but there were many other road kills on that stretch of road.

tntrker

WKR
As others have stated, this is probably not a good place to ask and be reliable, but I can say, IMO with experience in TN and SC, NO. Even though I feel it's the right thing to do, it could cost you more than money depending on which officer came out or caught you..

You are taking a terrible chance if you decide to finish off an animal on or near a public road. In most every case you will break multiple laws. I really wish there was a better way to handle it so that the meat would go to feed the hungry/homeless.

87TT

WKR
In Idaho it is legal as long as it is a safe and legal place. Then an online report must be made to salvage it. That said, I would no matter where even if it meant a club or tire iron.

You are taking a terrible chance if you decide to finish off an animal on or near a public road. In most every case you will break multiple laws. I really wish there was a better way to handle it so that the meat would go to feed the hungry/homeless.
I agree entirely. However there are risks I accept, relying on my judgement. The exposure here may not be as great as in some areas--the officers I know wouldn't bat an eye at such action and I think I could reliably count on jury nullification on resulting charges, though I'd hate to have to find out! Of course, my area suffers from an influx of outsiders who seem to move here because they love it, then immediately set to changing our ways. It won't be long before I'm the outsider.

Joekidd

FNG
Like the title says, If somebody hits a deer while driving, is it legal to put the animal out of its misery or no?

Appreciate all input.
Depends on state and the cop that shows up as much as you should be able to blast it better safe then sorry