Is it possible to turn a monte carlo stock into a straight comb?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new stock for my old model 110 but all I can find out there are monte carlo stocks and I don't like the looks of those so my question is, could I just buy a monte carlo stock such as the one I attached(left) and just sand down the hump into a straight comb stock(right) then just refinish it? If it is possible is that something a gunsmith could do?

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 798073.jpg
    798073.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

BBob

WKR
You absolutely could but bear in mind it'll drop your cheek/face contact quite a bit and you may end up not being able to get a proper cheek weld while looking through the sights.

OP
Western Hunter270
Your priorities are misplaced.
It was my very first rifle and I abused it in the mountains for years and it never let me down but it's finally ready for a new stock so I want to pretty her up as she mainly hangs on the wall these days. I have many other rifles that shoot lights out for me and they're what I primarily hunt with so no, I don't believe my priorities are misplaced

BBob

WKR
It was my very first rifle and I abused it in the mountains for years and it never let me down but it's finally ready for a new stock so I want to pretty her up as she mainly hangs on the wall these days. I have many other rifles that shoot lights out for me and they're what I primarily hunt with so no, I don't believe my priorities are misplaced
If you're not worried at all about functionality then go for it.

Grizz2150

FNG
You absolutely could but bear in mind it'll drop your cheek/face contact quite a bit and you may end up not being able to get a proper cheek weld while looking through the sights.
You will need to mount a scope lower over the bore. Scopes with smaller objective Lenses. Im thinking of having my Weatherby monte carlo stock (HUMP) taken down to reduce cheek slap. The best solution is MAG-NA-PORT the barrel.

Grizz2150

FNG
You will need to mount a scope lower over the bore. Scopes with smaller objective Lenses. Im thinking of having my Weatherby monte carlo stock (HUMP) taken down to reduce cheek slap. The best solution is MAG-NA-PORT the barrel. Lowering the comb will raise the heel "the recoil pad" higher

Macintosh

WKR
Removing a monte carlo comb and refinish is an easy job for a gunsmith, but it’ll still be $$$ and functionally you want the comb high and either parallel with the bore or even sloped forward. This affects what scope and rings you will be able to use and also significantly affects perceived recoil. If it were my gun Id just refinish the existing stock. You’d be amazed how prettied up your “trashed” stock will be after steaming out dents and a nice finish, and then as a bonus it’ll still be your stock for what sounds like a sentimental project.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new stock for my old model 110 but all I can find out there are monte carlo stocks and I don't like the looks of those so my question is, could I just buy a monte carlo stock such as the one I attached(left) and just sand down the hump into a straight comb stock(right) then just refinish it? If it is possible is that something a gunsmith could do?
I did this myself to a Boyd's laminated stock. Started with a small hand planer then worked it down from there with coarse sandpaper on a palm sander, then progressively finer grit sandpaper. Then oiled it to finish. Ended up being one of my favorite stocks. I also worked down the wrist at the same time.