Is it really worth it to go budget way?

Budget cheap is it really worth it? Come across video when rifle fail at 4:40 minutes and scope fail on another rifle at 8 minutes mark.

here

This thread not for bashing, it’s for discussion.

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
All depends on what it is.
a $10 shirt performs the same function as a $50 shirt.
Something with precision tolerances does not.
Bingo. Boots, packs, optics all things not to cheap out on. Base layer shirts or gloves or socks can definitely get away with. However in this one I’m not necessarily sure that it’s cheap options failing. The bolt coming out when he tried to cycle it could because he hit the release or held the trigger back releasing it. I’m not sure exactly what rifle he’s using but could just be some level of equipment and operator error. The optics failing though I don’t know if I blame the optics. Without knowing what it is exactly he does state though that he “banged it off of some logs on the way in” and in their little opening sequence it looks like he fell off of a log landing on the pack and rifle from about a 6-7’ height. Obviously we all want our gear to take a beating and keep working but after a fall like that and then not checking it at all I almost blame the guy more than the scope. Just my .02.

All depends on what it is.
a $10 shirt performs the same function as a $50 shirt.
Something with precision tolerances does not.
The precision tolerance gear seems to have a wide range of what is still pretty good. I am trying to find that balance so that I don't break the bank but still have something that doesn't let me down.

You can’t take it with you!

Buy once, cry once.

Go hunt Alaska and Africa now. Anyone can make more money, no one can make more time!

Bingo. Boots, packs, optics all things not to cheap out on. Base layer shirts or gloves or socks can definitely get away with. However in this one I’m not necessarily sure that it’s cheap options failing. The bolt coming out when he tried to cycle it could because he hit the release or held the trigger back releasing it. I’m not sure exactly what rifle he’s using but could just be some level of equipment and operator error. The optics failing though I don’t know if I blame the optics. Without knowing what it is exactly he does state though that he “banged it off of some logs on the way in” and in their little opening sequence it looks like he fell off of a log landing on the pack and rifle from about a 6-7’ height. Obviously we all want our gear to take a beating and keep working but after a fall like that and then not checking it at all I almost blame the guy more than the scope. Just my .02.

That is what I was thinking as well. Couldn't really tell what rifle that was, but if it was one with a side bolt release, if you look at the placement of his left hand, it sure does look to me like the base of his thumb would be in the perfect spot to be pressing on the bolt release.

As for the optic, I couldn't tell if the turrets were capped or not, but if they weren't and he was "banging it around" and after taking a fall like that and not checking it is on the operator, not the scope.

7:30 looks like it is a Nikon Monarch 3. Not really a trash-tier scope. Turrets look capped since there weren't any markings for dialing on them. Probably was too rough with his rifle and ended up beating the scope up a bit. Though his first shot was about 36" off target, so who knows.

What dollar value is considered adequate or reliable for hunting, because I'm probably the only person I know who pays over $200-$400 for my scopes, and my typical price range is only about $600-$800 for any scope. Things happen in the field, neither event cost them a kill, though the scope failure should have.

I can get Japanese glass from several highly respected companies for $600 +/- second hand, depending on features. Some highly rated Phillipenes sourced products down to about $300 level. Everyone's level of "cheap" or "good enough" is different. I'm not defending the bottom barrel simmons or tasco stuff, but reliable optics don't have to cost $1000+.

Maverick1

WKR
Situational.

NASA? Would you want to be an astronaut if they went with the lowest bidder for every component on the space shuttle?

Budget mail order bride, anyone?

Lowest possible cost option for eye surgery?

Most expensive hammer?

Tasco scope for governor tag hunt?

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
Budget doesn't always mean cheap. Most things have a sweet spot for price/performance, and diminishing returns for the higher priced premium stuff.

Rich M

WKR
Guy pulled the bolt out - that wasn't a failure, he was touching the left side of the gun, probably depressed the button. Operator error.

Then the guy missed twice, drilled the heart on #3. Not watching the entire video, guess he fell on the gun and expected it to keep zero - did he aim off the deer for shot 3?

I had a $2200 Leica scope fail after only 300 3006 shots. Warranty made it right but its on a 243 cause no one wants to buy a refurbished Leica. That was an expensive lesson in not getting caught up in hype. My fav scope is a VX2 that I paid $300 for. That sucker is tough and holds a zero.

Last edited: