Is it the caps or my ML?

I have been having an issue my muzzy and I am hoping to get some help trouble shooting it. I am shooting a Traditions Evolution 50 cal. I can't get the caps to ignite consistently. Sometimes I have to hit the cap twice or three times to get it to fire. Sometimes it goes off on the first pull of the trigger. I thought my caps could be old so I went and bought a brand new pack this weekend. RWS musket caps. Same issue. I am beginning to think the firing mechanism in the bolt might be wearing out. I have heard this is common with Tradition's muzzle loaders and the springs get weak causing issues like this. I have maybe 30 rounds down the tube with this bolt so that seems unlikely as well.

Any ideas? Any guys using the same muzzy or musket caps experience this?

Thanks

I have been having an issue my muzzy and I am hoping to get some help trouble shooting it. I am shooting a Traditions Evolution 50 cal. I can't get the caps to ignite consistently. Sometimes I have to hit the cap twice or three times to get it to fire. Sometimes it goes off on the first pull of the trigger. I thought my caps could be old so I went and bought a brand new pack this weekend. RWS musket caps. Same issue. I am beginning to think the firing mechanism in the bolt might be wearing out. I have heard this is common with Tradition's muzzle loaders and the springs get weak causing issues like this. I have maybe 30 rounds down the tube with this bolt so that seems unlikely as well.

Any ideas? Any guys using the same muzzy or musket caps experience this?

Thanks

I would love to help you on this one - but I know very little about Traditions guns.... But I would bet that it is related the spring tension in the hammer assembly.

Another possibility is the nipple my be worn/peened from shooting...

Also - since you are shooting a Western gun - have you disassembled and thoroughly cleaned the firing pin assembly - it can get really cruddy

With the Traditions you are limited to Musket caps correct? in that you can not use #11 caps correct?

Last edited:
OP
D
Thank you for the response.

I put a new nipple on last week and have only taken 18 shots. I switched to a peep sight so I wanted to get used to it at different distances.

I have tried the Percussion caps in the past, but they fit the Traditions nipple very sloppy and will fall off when hunting. I am calling Traditions today to get their input. I just cant believe the brand new caps I got could be defective.

I will also mention that the cap does have a dent after pulling the trigger so it is getting hit. Maybe not hard enough?

Thank you for the response.

I put a new nipple on last week and have only taken 18 shots. I switched to a peep sight so I wanted to get used to it at different distances.

I have tried the Percussion caps in the past, but they fit the Traditions nipple very sloppy and will fall off when hunting. I am calling Traditions today to get their input. I just cant believe the brand new caps I got could be defective.

I will also mention that the cap does have a dent after pulling the trigger so it is getting hit. Maybe not hard enough?

OK then I added another thought just now... in the original post...

Also - since you are shooting a Western gun - have you disassembled and thoroughly cleaned the firing pin assembly - it can get really cruddy

With the Traditions you are limited to Musket caps correct? in that you can not use #11 caps correct?

OP
D

I didn't know I could take the bolt apart until you mentioned that. I found to instructions and I will give it a deep clean tonight. Thank you, hoping this is the issue.

I didn't know I could take the bolt apart until you mentioned that. I found to instructions and I will give it a deep clean tonight. Thank you, hoping this is the issue.

I am betting that you will find the problem right there... Western shooting is DIRTY