Is it too late in CA ?

Is it pretty much a done deal for Bears in CA for the year ? I’ve been out numerous times in the past month or so and I can’t find anything . I’ve heard it gets harder the later in the season it gets. Im not seeing a whole lot of signs either . Am I wasting my time ? Where the hell are these beasts, hibernating ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Buckshot51
Not sure what to say, I figured with the lack of weather they’d still be out feeding pretty good.
How are you hunting them?

Getting high up and glassing mostly . Also still hunting along waterways , oak groves , and pretty much anywhere else that looks “bear-y”. Tried calling too ....

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
Don't hunt the bears as much as the food sources. Once the food's gone then they start getting more lethargic. Weather's been pretty nice overall, lots of food all over. Find the acorns, or what's left of them.

fish impaler

Lil-Rokslider
Went to hunt the evening and check a camera today, had a nice bear on the camera at 9am... Southern Ca

OP
Buckshot51
Strange. What elevation you at?

Well I was up in the sierras about a month ago from about 4500-8000ft and last weekend I was up in Mendocino NF 3500-5000ft

MeatBuck

WKR
Well I was up in the sierras about a month ago from about 4500-8000ft and last weekend I was up in Mendocino NF 3500-5000ft

Maybe you were too mobile, Ive found that sitting one spot all day produced more bear sightings than walking from spot to spot while glassing. Most of my success has come from acorns. Just sitting and watching an oak covered hillside all day.

OP
Buckshot51
Maybe you were too mobile, Ive found that sitting one spot all day produced more bear sightings than walking from spot to spot while glassing. Most of my success has come from acorns. Just sitting and watching an oak covered hillside all day.

That’s a great point . I retrospect I was maybe a little too mobile . I just get antsy thinking I’m in the completely wrong spot . There’s a lot of ground to cover but imma try that . Thanks

That being said anybody know of a nice, sunny oak covered hillside might be ??

MeatBuck

WKR
That’s a great point . I retrospect I was maybe a little too mobile . I just get antsy thinking I’m in the completely wrong spot . There’s a lot of ground to cover but imma try that . Thanks

That being said anybody know of a nice, sunny oak covered hillside might be ??

The places I’d been going the past couple years are probably still closed not to mention torched.

flytrue

FNG
I'm still getting them on cams. 3000 feet, Mendo county. Also getting lions.

Attachments

• 8497342D-4E9C-43CF-A46A-9EC4B4DFCD17.jpeg
    8497342D-4E9C-43CF-A46A-9EC4B4DFCD17.jpeg
    520.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 88D83A89-3E3D-4CCD-9E9B-46096644DBC9.jpeg
    88D83A89-3E3D-4CCD-9E9B-46096644DBC9.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 24

Jusgunn3

Lil-Rokslider
Had a huge boar walk down our driveway and turn into the oaks last week just at first light. My 5 yr old daughter woke me up “Bear daddy!” A little hungover and lethargic myself by the time I got outside with my rifle he was gone. D3 3kish gonna get him soon I hope 🤞

Buffalo

FNG
I have a camera out in an oak patch. I’m getting pics mostly at night. There’s some afternoon activity too. Not much in the morning.

JohnnyB

WKR
Any updates on CA December bears? Trying to decide between Mendocino and D6 on Tuesday. Mendocino is such a long drive and I don’t know the area but there is a lot more lower elevation public.

jfs82

WKR
Buddy in d5 sent me some video of a few very recently on his property. That being said, Ill be out saturday with my bear tag and rifle (and a shotgun in case i find turkeys) right out near the A zone B zone border.