Is it too late to start the points game??

Just sitting here contemplating points in Oregon... on the fence... it basically costs $200 a year for a deer point and could be years for a decent tag.

I have been playing the game for a while in Wyoming and Colorado and have enough points that I am getting close for some decent tags, but starting over at zero isn't appealing at all. On the flip side, A guy may never draw decent tags giving up.... sooo other than just taking the money and hunting Alaska every year, whats a guy to do?

Just getting real tired of the whole game and needed to whine....

Oregon, in my opinion, is a waste of time and resources. Much better states to get involved/invested in before Oregon.

Unless you live very close, or in Oregon. I’d look at other options.

I've been done with points since Colorado went to a $100 for point. Just look at the numbers i gained 3 points in 11 years. Not worth it to me, unless you have a unit that you like that only takes a point or 2.

EastMT

WKR
Yeah, honestly it’s getting to the point where it’s cheaper to bay an outfitter for a guaranteed tag in the long run. Haven’t done it but adding up the expenses it looks more appealing every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, honestly it’s getting to the point where it’s cheaper to bay an outfitter for a guaranteed tag in the long run. Haven’t done it but adding up the expenses it looks more appealing every year.

That and health down the road.

High dollar tags aren't seemingly as bad as first thought.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have a few points in multiple states, I am going to draw as soon as possible, not waiting to gain points for primo units. I am talking elk though, Az. and New Mexico will be my home run states as far as trophy units.

Co. Wy. and Mt. I plan on drawing lesser units.

OP
actionshooter

And looking at landowner tags has been a consideration....

Tmac

WKR
Oregon points can make sense if you are already applying for Oregon, say for Sheep where there are no points used. Otherwise, there are better states, both in terms of hunting opportunities and points cost.

OR Archer

WKR
If you’re a non resident don’t waste your time or money on Oregon. It’s a freaking predator pit and the hunting has become subpar in most of the state.

Hoodie

WKR
If I lived in Washington (and I didn't want to hunt OTC there) I'd hunt OTC elk units in Oregon before I drove to Colorado for an OTC tag. I wouldn't build points. Point creep is getting ridiculous in the Big Three and the other tags aren't worth the points it takes to draw them at present. The Ochocos, as an example, have a lower success rate than many OTC units and are heavily pressured.

Now the situation in the Big Three may change if they actually make the entire eastside controlled for archery elk in 2022. I'm sure plenty of guys will just hunt the coast and continue to wait it out, but there are likely a significant number of hunters who will bail on their Wenaha hopes to keep hunting the east side every year.

It'll be hard to predict the shifts that the recent changes to archery mule deer and the proposed changes to archery elk will bring, but it's a certainty that things will change.

As for Oregon being a predator pit, we have more elk than Wyoming. Don't take that to mean I think hunting here is in anyway comparable to Wyoming, just that the sheer number of animals getting snacked on by lions might not be the sole reason Oregon's hunting isn't on par with the typical destination states. Bull:cow ratios
have a lot to do with good elk hunting too. Oregon's are less than ideal.

wapitibob

WKR
The Wyoming Elk herd is within about 15,000 of Oregon's and will pass it in a few years. And Oregons bull/cow ratio objectives of 10/100 with few exceptions, are the lowest in the west. This is an opportunity state, managed for "sustained yield", selling nr licenses and tags for a price on par with states that have a much better hunter experience.
One thing not readily discussed is a NR who buys a non refundable license for $172 and doesn't draw a tag. It won't take long for that revenue stream to go dry.